Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Halifax100  
#1 Posted : 04 October 2016 14:12:27(UTC)
Halifax100

Sweden   
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and to the world of digital märklin after being away from the hobby for more than 15 years.
It started with that my oldest son, 13 years old, found a carton of my fathers old märklin that I had as a child. It was just like pushing a button...
Now I find myself in a situation converting a couple of BR89s...
We are building a shelf layout around a room about 15sqm. I have bought a MS3 starter package and an extra controller. The transformer in this package is not that big. How can I get more current around the track?
I have 3 psc of 30amp märklin transformers. Can I use those?
We only use manual switches so no electicity for other things than digital locos :-)
Happy for all help!
/
H
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Halifax100
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 04 October 2016 14:17:39(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Halifax100 Go to Quoted Post
The transformer in this package is not that big. How can I get more current around the track?
The "transformer" is not a transformer, it's a power pack. 36 VA is not that bad and more than you get from your old and heavy 30 VA transformers.
Get a CS3 if you need more power.

Install more feeder wires if you have voltage drops at some areas of the layout.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Halifax100  
#3 Posted : 04 October 2016 14:22:52(UTC)
Halifax100

Sweden   
ThumpUp ok! Super!
Haven't layed the track yet so I just presumed that it would be a problem...
Thanks!
How far should it be between the rail connection?
/
H
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 04 October 2016 16:15:26(UTC)
H0

How far should it be between the rail connection?
Depends on the trains. Every 3m should be fine with C track for most trains.
One feeder every 10m will be a problem with demanding trains, but will still be OK for many trains.

Make extensive tests with your most demanding trains before fixing the tracks.
Will you fix the tracks?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Halifax100  
#5 Posted : 04 October 2016 16:44:00(UTC)
Halifax100

Sweden   
No I was not at first anyway, thinking on fixing the tracks. I use the m-track only. Perhaps I should!
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 04 October 2016 18:58:57(UTC)
H0

With M track you may need more feeder tracks. As long as you do not fix the tracks you can still add feeder wires or insulation for booster sections when the need arises.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Minok  
#7 Posted : 04 October 2016 21:35:05(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Hi everyone!

I'm new to this forum and to the world of digital märklin after being away from the hobby for more than 15 years.
It started with that my oldest son, 13 years old, found a carton of my fathers old märklin that I had as a child. It was just like pushing a button...
Now I find myself in a situation converting a couple of BR89s...
We are building a shelf layout around a room about 15sqm. I have bought a MS3 starter package and an extra controller. The transformer in this package is not that big. How can I get more current around the track?
I have 3 psc of 30amp märklin transformers. Can I use those?
We only use manual switches so no electicity for other things than digital locos :-)
Happy for all help!
/
H

The Mobile Station 2/3 provides enough power to run several locomotives simultaneously via the track box that is in the starter set. The power supply to it is a switching power supply, the old analog transformers are not used nor should they, unless you plan on powering some other stuff like layout lights or signals with them.. but not for digital usage. If you want to run some analog stuff in a seperate track form the digital stuff, you could reuse those transformers, but don't electrically connect the two rail systems then - though it sounded like that wasn't what you wanted to do.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline dominator  
#8 Posted : 04 October 2016 22:21:15(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
I have reworked my M track layout and I have feeder wires to both rails and centre stud every 2 meters or so. It kind of worked ok with one feeder per "oval" but you could tell there was a power drop. Use soft wire for the feeders and you may be able to loop some of the wire under the track itself for when you need to lift it to make some repairs [ not like me last night when I went to fix a problem and found the piece of track was held down by too short a feeder wire. ] I have screwed down one section where there are lots of points and I now realize that if i have a problem with one of the points, it will mean a fare amount of work to get the point out. Might be best to secure every so often, and make sure each track pieces sits neatly on the base board without lifting.
There have been several threads recently on using both digital and analogue on the same setup. Please find and read them. [ especially the bit about "rockers", which you will have to make up for yourself. ]
Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline Alsterstreek  
#9 Posted : 04 October 2016 22:41:05(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Offline Halifax100  
#10 Posted : 05 October 2016 19:56:36(UTC)
Halifax100

Sweden   
Super! Thank You so much for all the replies!!! Greatly appreciated!!!

First I was thinking of having one track section for analog and another for digital but I have given up that thought. Bound to go wrong...

My lokal dealer sad that one shouldn't mix ESU with Märklin dekoders in the same layout. But that can't be correct, can it? Both talk with motorola mfx...
So far I've only converted with märklin's own motors and dekoders. (My god this is a nice hobby :-)
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 05 October 2016 20:06:52(UTC)
H0

My lokal dealer said that one shouldn't mix ESU with Märklin dekoders in the same layout. But that can't be correct, can it?
From 2004 until around 2011 Märklin installed ESU decoders in Märklin locos.

If mixing should be bad, simply avoid Märklin decoders. LOL

But serious: with each new brand and each new decoder generation also comes a new learning curve. Therefore sticking to decoders you have experience with has some advantages.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Halifax100  
#12 Posted : 06 October 2016 06:35:14(UTC)
Halifax100

Sweden   
BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
To late for that!
Absolutely a matter of my learning curve and I'm out on very deep waters when it comes to programming and such...
What I was thinking was that the Mobile Station 3 finds the locos with mfx decoders by itself, so how could it be a conflict?
If I have a new loco; I'll put this on a track without any other locos, let it be recognized by the MS3, before I put it on the major layout with already "found" locomotives. Right?!!
(So far I only fully converted one loco, but have a four complete sets w/ motors and decoders.)

When it comes to the drinking problem, no the juice, as in electrical current!!! I followed the suggested links and don't think it's going to be a problem. I'll run at the most 3 trains at a time, mostly only two, and I'll feed the track accordingly. Great help!