Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Paul24  
#1 Posted : 03 October 2016 23:15:25(UTC)
Paul24

United States   
I've wrestled with this problem before and sent a question to the forum, but, for various reasons, I'm learning very slowly about how to deal with the relatively old digital components I've invested in. So, I apologize to anyone who comes across this question and has the feeling that he's seen this issue before--and then wonders, "Why can't this guy get it?"
I have a relatively simple question: Can I change the address on a loco that came with a digital starter set (the address is 72, which was "factory set") with the limited components I currently have without investing $100 or more in a 6021 Central Control Unit?
Since I have stuck myself with a 6023 Central Control, I'm limited to four loco addresses: 10, 20, 30, 40. If I can't manipulate one of my two locos to one of those four addresses, the 6023 Central Control is, it seems to me, essentially useless. (I wasn't planning on using the interface capability for the foreseeable future). I plan to use the Control 80 for the other loco. As things stand now, the Control 80 is doing fine at controlling either loco; meanwhile, I can't get the 6023 to do much of anything.
Also, I'd like to verify that I WILL be able to change loco addresses with a 6021.
Thank you for any insights on this problem.

Paul24

Offline mmervine  
#2 Posted : 04 October 2016 01:37:34(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Paul-yes, with a 6021 you can change the address of most Marklin loks manufactured in the past decade or so. Depending on how big your layout is and how many trains you run, have you considered a mobile station? It shouldn't cost a whole lot more than a used 6021 and will give you access to MFX and more functions.

As for changing the address of your lok without getting a 6021 or mobile station...maybe someone nearby could change it for you using their digital system.

r/mark
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Online xxup  
#3 Posted : 04 October 2016 04:08:35(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
The other thing to check, especially if it is an older start set, is the decoder itself - it might have dip switches..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 04 October 2016 07:51:33(UTC)
H0

Hi, Paul,

Maybe you can use the Control 80 to change the addresses of such locos, following the instructions for the 6021.
You have to select address 80 or the current address on the controller to activate the programming mode of the decoder. Thus the 6023 cannot be used for many locos with default addresses like 24, 78, or other unsupported addresses.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Paul24  
#5 Posted : 04 October 2016 19:38:57(UTC)
Paul24

United States   
To r/mark, Adrian, and Tom:
Thank you all very much for the suggestions. I really appreciate your donating your experience. It gives me a better grasp about the whole digital system I'm dealing with. This is what I understand is going on: (1) My 6023 is a bit of an albatross assuming I don't use its interface capability; (2) I could solve my problem pretty simply if I could just find a local Marklin user who could change my loco's address for me; this sounds to me like the cheapest, most sensible solution; (3) getting a mobile station might make sense—I'll look into it—but that sounds as though I'll be abandoning all the recently purchased components and all the time I've invested in trying to understand how they work.
I suppose I could sell the old stuff on eBay and try to recoup some of my investment if I opted for a mobile station, but something tells me I'll just be forced to spend more money on mobile-station-related components. However, I understand that updating to MFX might give me and my grandson literally more bells and whistles to play with.
Regarding the Control 80's ability to change addresses. I tried it, but I had no luck. This doesn't mean I did the steps correctly, however. It would be helpful to find out definitely whether it was even possible with a Control 80.

Paul
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 04 October 2016 20:01:03(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Paul24 Go to Quoted Post
Regarding the Control 80's ability to change addresses. I tried it, but I had no luck.
We don't know what you tried.

The procedure for the 6021:
While track is empty, press STOP and GO together to reset the CU 6021. Then press STOP.
Put loco on the track. Select address of loco or 80. Turn to reversing position, shortly hit GO but continue to hold reversing position for 2 to 4 seconds (until loco blinks).
Instructions say to try again if it doesn't work. Sometimes first attempt fails.

Blinking lights indicate that loco entered the programming mode. If you get there then changing the address and other options should also work.

Maybe try again two or three times. If it works it'll be the cheapest and quickest solution.
I neither have 6020 nor 6023, so I cannot try it myself.
And there are two GO buttons to try - one on the 6023, one on the control 80. I'd try both, but at different attempts.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage