Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 29 September 2016 17:22:34(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
This morning, a NJ Transit train heading to Hoboken, NJ's NJ Transit Station failed to stop, crashed through the buffers and smashed into the concourse.
Initial reports state over 100 injured and a few deceased. More information available via news sources.
Hoboken Station is an important transfer point between NJ Transit (multiple lines), the PATH subway network and the Hoboken Bus and Ferry Terminals

http://www.njtransit.com...rail/Rail_System_Map.pdf
https://www.yahoo.com/ne...ain-crash-132831514.html

Information suggests that the train was a diesel powered push-pull consist. Hoboken Station is end station for both diesel and electric trains on a number of lines (See NJ Transit route map (link above).

I used to travel on NJ Transit when in NJ. Most of the time, we would transfer from NJT to PATH at Newark.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline petestra  
#2 Posted : 29 September 2016 18:47:08(UTC)
petestra

United States   
That's right, Mike. I'm a native NYer and the next stop would have been the Hudson River. Glad they didn't end up there. Too bad about the

casualties.Crying Peter.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline SteamNut  
#3 Posted : 29 September 2016 22:06:37(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
My condolences to the families of the ones that were killed and best wishes and speedy recovery that were injured. I heard the engineer survived and the politicians are already putting blame on each other - Fred
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline petestra  
#4 Posted : 29 September 2016 22:09:47(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post
My condolences to the families of the ones that were killed and best wishes and speedy recovery that were injured. I heard the engineer survived and the politicians are already putting blame on each other - Fred

Not surprised about that fact at all, Fred. Next I'm waiting to hear that the driver was playing Pokemon on his phone? Peter Huh
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline analogmike  
#5 Posted : 30 September 2016 03:17:22(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Pokeemon nuts gotta go.
A while back I had to take my mother to the hospital at night.
The pokeemon nuts invaded the area around the hospital causing traffic and such.Cursing

Why can't they stay at home and play with trains like normal peopleAngry

Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline SteamNut  
#6 Posted : 30 September 2016 05:04:06(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I remember when cell phones were analog, a bag phone was $1,200.00 and phone calls were $0.65 per minute in 1988. If phones were more expensive to use we would not all this distracted driving and other crap. But that is not to happen and everyone has to stay connected which I think, in one way, is actually is being disconnected with the real world.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 30 September 2016 08:17:50(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The GP40s are among NJ Transit's oldest locomotives. One or two of them were actually operated by AMT (Agence Metropolitaine du Transport) in Montreal commuter services for a few years. I don't know where those locomotives are today. They may have been returned to NJ after Hurricane Sandy as some NJT material was out of service for a while.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 06 October 2016 21:44:10(UTC)
Minok

United States   
So the locomotive was pushing the train into the station, not that this should have impacted the operator's ability to slow and stop the locomotive at the correct location.

What surprised me a bit (so far) is that one of the data recorders was reported to be unusable - that the recorder didn't work.
Well maybe it shouldn't be surprising - the rail governance and oversight in the US is somewhat slow and inept, only reacting once there is a tragedy. Its the American way. Eg, they don't replace a stop sign with a traffic signal at an intersection, until there have been a significant enough amount of accidents at the intersection.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok