Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Martin T  
#1 Posted : 27 September 2016 21:01:22(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Hi friends!

I´m working on a script to make a three (3) episode "How to get started in model railroad" video tutorial. I feel that this video will be lacking content if I make the script alone. I simply need input to realize this project. I know that a lot of the members in this forum has extensive skills and experience in this field and most likely can contribute to the content.

Please feel free to comment and I´ll amend relevant ideas in to script.

This is what I put together for the first episode so far:

1. Intro
Starter guide to the model railroad hobby valid for indoor layouts.
What is your dream of a model railroad? The most important question for beginners is to ask what is it you want to achieve, because there is no satisfaction in building something you will not enjoy running.
a. Passenger traffic [video of passenger train meeting/stopping at stations]
b. Goods traffic [video of heavy goods trains line side + shunting in yard]
c. Modern vs Old [video of modern high-speed train][ video of a old steam train line side]

2. Space / Room / Table
Let´s think about for how large space you have available and what shape that available space has. That will for most people set the limitations and in many case give us the outline for the layout.
A. U-shaped layout
a. + Easy access
b. + Lots of options for the layout
c. – Requires a lot of space in the room

B. Bookshelf style layout
a. +Do not require very much space
b. + Easy access

C. Rectangular table
a. +Use of a normal table from the furniture store.
b. – Harder to access center part of the table.
c. – Trains just go round and round.

C. Modular layout
a. +Possibility to attend meetings and meet and run trains with other people on very large layouts.
b. – Limited running capabilities with only one module.
c. – Needs to be built according to the standard.

3. Layout components
A. Passenger stations
B. Industries for goods traffic
C. Shunting yard
D. Locostation
E. Parade lines

4. Track type
A. Track with built-in trackbed
a. +Robust
b. +Easy to build and re-build in new layouts. Tracks typically snaps together.
c. +Has a descent second hand value.

B. Track without trackbed
a. +Can be (with modeling skills) be a more realistic.
b. –More fragile compared to tracks with integrated roadbed.
c. -Limited possibilities for re-use.

5. Brand/ Manufacturer
A. What nationality style trains would you like to see on your layout? Make sure to select a manufacturer which has a wide assortment of that type of rolling stock.
B. What expectations and needs do you have for the system? Make sure to select a manufacturer which corresponds to the technical needs you will have.

Additions and modifications
2016-09-29: Addition of 2d Modular layout style (Lasse).
2016-10-01: Addition of club layout in 2e (no layout at all at home)
2016-10-01: Addition of modern vs old (really a start of the thinking on choice of Era)

Edited by user 01 October 2016 14:22:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html
thanks 9 users liked this useful post by Martin T
Offline GlennM  
#2 Posted : 27 September 2016 21:15:42(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Martin,

I always love your videos, and all I can say at this point in time is to include lots of visual examples of the subjects, people relate better to visual images, and give them lots of ideas.

If you would like to use any of my material let me know (from here or Facebook) and I will arrange for you to receive the high definition versions for inclusion in your video.

Looking forward to watching the finished item ThumpUp ThumpUp

Best Regards
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline Danlake  
#3 Posted : 27 September 2016 21:17:09(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Martin,

Excellent idea and sure a lot of beginners will benefit.

For layout types I would also include the UK style of having a small parade section and rest is hidden or not land scaped.

The other type would be the very popular modular concept where you build on section at a time and can slowly expand your layout.

The most important question for beginners is to ask what is it you want to achieve, because there is no satisfaction in building something you will not enjoy running.

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline nitramretep  
#4 Posted : 27 September 2016 21:34:56(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
Very clearly laid out. I would add a section on wife relations and expenditures, perhaps another on your banking relationship to fund this addiction, hobby!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nitramretep
Offline Jabez  
#5 Posted : 27 September 2016 23:32:41(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Great idea.
Right at the start I think you should make it clear you are only discussing HO scale. I assume this is the case and you do not wish to go into possibilities of other scales such as N or Z.
Next I think the missing elephant in the room is: Do you want a 2-rail DC system or 3-rail AC? How the pros and cons of each system are presented is up to you. But this decision must be made before track-laying starts, so I suggest it comes under the Brand/Manufacturer section.
I really like Danlake's suggestion: The other type would be the very popular modular concept where you build on section at a time and can slowly expand your layout.
Perhaps I am biassed because this is what I am trying to do at the moment.
A final picayune comment is that the typo descent should be decent under heading Track Type A c. I only mention this in case the typo is automatically carried forward into subsequent versions of the text.
Jabez
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline baggio  
#6 Posted : 28 September 2016 00:15:04(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
Right at the start I think you should make it clear you are only discussing HO scale.I assume this is the case and you do not wish to go into possibilities of other scales such as N or Z.
Next I think the missing elephant in the room is: Do you want a 2-rail DC system or 3-rail AC?How the pros and cons of each system are presented is up to you. But this decision must be made before track-laying starts, so I suggest it comes under the Brand/Manufacturer section.

A beginner will not understand these scale terms and they should be introduced and discussed, even if briefly, to point out the advantages and disadvantages of each and THEN go into an HO scale discussion.

As for 2-rail or Marklin, the support for either that the newcomer would have would be an important consideration.

If you are in Europe, you have access to technical support in both formats, but in Canada or the US, much less so. Here 2 rail may be the way to go, at least as far as support for US trains goes. European 2-rail is not at all well supported.

In my case, oddly enough, I have stuck with Marklin (and indeed the reason I even began as an adult) is the fact that there is a Marklin dealer fairly close to home (15 kms away). Otherwise, I might have taken another route.

I look forward to watching the videos.

(Frankly, you seem to have it all under control without a real need for us to give you any important feedback. ThumpUp )
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline xxup  
#7 Posted : 28 September 2016 00:19:08(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Scale is an important consideration - especially if you want a lot of action in a small area.. A nice shot of your 1, H0, N, and Z Crocodiles with a 1 Euro coin will do nicely here..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 28 September 2016 00:20:14(UTC)
Minok

United States   
For layouts, also cover hybrids - combinations of 2 or more of the styles.
I think my layout will be a hybrid (I'll be starting a very slowly updating thread on my layout build in the layout section of the forums shortly).

I intend to have a shelf based layout along the walls (3 of the 4 in the room), but at one point the layout will come off of the shelf system and become part of a middle of the room table system. So a big 'swirl' with the outer arm of the swirl attached to the walls as multiple levels of shelf based layout with a single (or 2 layer)mid room L type attached to that to be the center of the swirl.

At least thats my vision at this stage; geometry may dictate different once I get further down the layout design in the computer.

Other Section: Control/Interaction
Here you can talk about analog/digital and the pros-cons, as well as how to interact with the layout form fully automated, to fully automated with user controlling individual trains the rest of the automation can compensate for, to user controlled trains running on joint tracks, to user controlled trains running on independent loops, etc.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline xxup  
#9 Posted : 28 September 2016 00:22:11(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Martin T Go to Quoted Post

A. U-shaped layout
a. + Easy access
b. – Requires a lot of space in the room

B. Bookshelf style layout
a. +Do not require very much space
b. + Easy access

C. Rectangular table
a. +Use of a normal table from the furniture store.
b. – Harder to access center part of the table.
c. – Trains just go round and round.

And up the wall - I have a zig-zag line that goes up the wall from the bookshelf.. Laugh It comes from buying too much IKEA furniture..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Jabez  
#10 Posted : 28 September 2016 00:43:49(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Scale is an important consideration - especially if you want a lot of action in a small area.. A nice shot of your 1, H0, N, and Z Crocodiles with a 1 Euro coin will do nicely here..

Ha ha, more like a pile of Euro coinsBigGrin Good suggestion nonetheless.

Offline Jabez  
#11 Posted : 28 September 2016 01:11:52(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   

And up the wall - I have a zig-zag line that goes up the wall from the bookshelf.. Laugh It comes from buying too much IKEA furniture..

Like the Ferrocarril Central in Peru up from Lima to Cerro de Pasco mine and beyond. From sea-level at Lima to to nearly 16,000 feet in a couple of hundred miles. Many, many switchbacks just like your bookshelves. I've been up there often in the past. O2 bottles in the coaches in case you get the soroche bad.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline CanadianKid  
#12 Posted : 28 September 2016 01:20:43(UTC)
CanadianKid

Canada   
Hello,
And thank you for making these video tutorials. They are very interesting and even inspired my mom to help me with some tree making. Anyways, I have little knowledge about model railroading but one thing I have found with my railroading and something that I believe you mentioned in one of your videos is buildings. Do you want to build a layout in a rural area with less buildings, or do you enjoy making buildings for your layout and you want to have a layout with a large town.
Anyways, just a thought.
Best Regards,
Matthew
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by CanadianKid
Offline hxmiesa  
#13 Posted : 28 September 2016 10:45:43(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Wow. Thats a big project.
Even when segmented into 3 parts, as you plan, the real goal here will be to LIMIT YOURSELF.
Already from the start, I would discard being able to cover all eventualities. -There´s simply too many. After reading your initial list, the ideas just came popping into my head; "what about this, how about that, etc...".
I think that if you try to cover too large an area, you´ll miss out on interesting details, while a too spread out focus could confuse/bore the target audience.

Reading your intial list, you might want to narrow down the target audience. Are you aiming at "The younger kid who receives his first starter-set with an oval track a loco, 2 waggons and a controller; Where to go from here." ?
-OR-
Are you rather aiming at the adult who contemplates getting into RR modelling, and has still not purchased anything?
In the last case, you might have to start with describing the diference between the 2- and 3-rail system. Difference between analogue and digital.
-In this last case I think your list of items to explore should be rather different...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
Offline rbw993  
#14 Posted : 28 September 2016 18:39:11(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi Martin,
I think that more than the shape the type of layout design bears discussion. Whether the layout is a basic oval, dog-bone or point to point makes a big difference in operation but most all can be adjusted to fit any kind of table shape.

Best regards,
Roger
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rbw993
Offline Martin T  
#15 Posted : 29 September 2016 18:02:08(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Great idea.
Right at the start I think you should make it clear you are only discussing HO scale. I assume this is the case and you do not wish to go into possibilities of other scales such as N or Z.
Next I think the missing elephant in the room is: Do you want a 2-rail DC system or 3-rail AC? How the pros and cons of each system are presented is up to you. But this decision must be made before track-laying starts, so I suggest it comes under the Brand/Manufacturer section.
I really like Danlake's suggestion: The other type would be the very popular modular concept where you build on section at a time and can slowly expand your layout.
Perhaps I am biassed because this is what I am trying to do at the moment.
A final picayune comment is that the typo descent should be decent under heading Track Type A c. I only mention this in case the typo is automatically carried forward into subsequent versions of the text.
Jabez

Hi Jabez,

Thank you for your thoughts and feedback! ThumpUp
No, actually my intention is to also include other scales such as N and Z too. However, my intention is not to present the selection of scale as an question, but an answer.
Same thing goes for Brand/Manufacturer section, as well as 2-rail "DC" or 3-rail "AC". This will also be presented as answers, not questions.

For instance: - Do you like work with electronics, programming and configuration, or would you like to have a "Plug-n-play" system, which works from start without fuzz, but can be configured later to your liking?
If your answer is "Plug-n-Play", then your manufacturer is Märklin with the mfx-system.

Another example: - Will you mainly be running US-theme trains on you layout?
If the answer is yes, then 2-rail DC from a manufacturer like Bachmann is probably your choice.

Märklin is the only and obvious choice for me, but looking out in the world, Märklin is a small niche manufacturer with really super expensive products.

Regards / Martin T
Click your way over to me in Marbrodal in Sweden: http://www.xn--mrklintg-0zaq.se/index_e.html
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Martin T
Offline Martin T  
#16 Posted : 29 September 2016 18:37:34(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: CanadianKid Go to Quoted Post
Hello,
And thank you for making these video tutorials. They are very interesting and even inspired my mom to help me with some tree making. Anyways, I have little knowledge about model railroading but one thing I have found with my railroading and something that I believe you mentioned in one of your videos is buildings. Do you want to build a layout in a rural area with less buildings, or do you enjoy making buildings for your layout and you want to have a layout with a large town.
Anyways, just a thought.
Best Regards,
Matthew

Hi Matthew!

Thank you for the kind words about my videos! ThumpUp So glad they inspired you and your mom to make trees! Hahaha! Laugh That´s awesome! ThumpUp
This first video I´m planning here together with you and all the friends in the forum will more be covering how to chose direction and get started on "the right track". Smile
I also have a second and third video planned, which in greater detail will cover how to plan trackworks, how to set up the electrics, how to chose theme for the landscape etc. Buildings will be covered in one of those videos. Hopefully with a early 2017 release date. RollEyes

Regards / Martin T
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Martin T
Offline Martin T  
#17 Posted : 29 September 2016 18:56:10(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
Wow. Thats a big project.
Even when segmented into 3 parts, as you plan, the real goal here will be to LIMIT YOURSELF.
Already from the start, I would discard being able to cover all eventualities. -There´s simply too many. After reading your initial list, the ideas just came popping into my head; "what about this, how about that, etc...".
I think that if you try to cover too large an area, you´ll miss out on interesting details, while a too spread out focus could confuse/bore the target audience.

Reading your intial list, you might want to narrow down the target audience. Are you aiming at "The younger kid who receives his first starter-set with an oval track a loco, 2 waggons and a controller; Where to go from here." ?
-OR-
Are you rather aiming at the adult who contemplates getting into RR modelling, and has still not purchased anything?
In the last case, you might have to start with describing the diference between the 2- and 3-rail system. Difference between analogue and digital.
-In this last case I think your list of items to explore should be rather different...

Hi Henrik!

Of all people in the world, I feel that you are one among them with the greatest knowledge and experience in planning layouts. ThumpUp
My layout wouldn´t have half as good without your input. Yepp! It´s a fact! Smile I just wanted to say that. Wub

No, actually this will be a generic guide valid for everyone, covering everything in about 12 minutes. LOL I´m serious..

"In the last case, you might have to start with describing the diference between the 2- and 3-rail system. Difference between analogue and digital."
No again.. 2-rail or 3-rail is an answer mainly to the question on what Nationality they want on the rolling stock. Also an answer to the question if they like work with electronics, programming and configuration, or if they like to have a "Plug-n-play" system, which works from start without fuzz, but can be configured later to your liking?

Analogue or digital is not a very valid question anymore. The fact that Märklin already decided to not develop or sell any pure analogue products is a good proof of that. Analogue is even getting hard to sell on ebay these days. Prices are dropping sharply. Analogue is a "retro" niche thing, like vinyl music records. It´s great, but maybe not for a new-bee.
Regards / Martin T
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Martin T
Offline Martin T  
#18 Posted : 29 September 2016 19:16:32(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Martin,
I think that more than the shape the type of layout design bears discussion. Whether the layout is a basic oval, dog-bone or point to point makes a big difference in operation but most all can be adjusted to fit any kind of table shape.

Best regards,
Roger

Hi Roger!

Thank you for this input. Yes, you´re correct. I´ll have to think twice about this. My initial thought was that a table-shape is more obvious to a new-bee, than a layout concept design. From this first thought I had, my intention was to leave the concepts for the second part of the "Get started" series. However, the concept is of course more important from a selection point of view, than the actual table shape.. I´ll have to think about this one.. ThumpUp
Regards / Martin T
Offline Martin T  
#19 Posted : 29 September 2016 19:31:55(UTC)
Martin T

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Minok Go to Quoted Post
Other Section: Control/Interaction
Here you can talk about analog/digital and the pros-cons, as well as how to interact with the layout form fully automated, to fully automated with user controlling individual trains the rest of the automation can compensate for, to user controlled trains running on joint tracks, to user controlled trains running on independent loops, etc.

Analogue or digital is not a very valid question anymore. I´ll only promote digital systems. The fact that Märklin already decided to not develop or sell any pure analogue products supports that. Analogue is even getting hard to sell on ebay these days. Prices are dropping sharply. Analogue is a "retro" niche thing, like vinyl music records. It´s great, but maybe not for a new-bee.

How to interact with the layout? Yes, even here I think most manufacturers in the near future will turn towards Smartphone control. It´s useless running expensive hardware developments of hand controllers, when they instead can be updatable software, supporting a more sophisticated main controller like CS2.

Automatic drive can easily be implemented later on a reasonably well planned layout, even when it is completed. Therefore it will be covered in a later episode of the series. The tricks to get a "reasonably well planned layout" will be presented in both episode 1 and 2. I actually have a tutorial coming up in a few months showing how to transform a completed layout to automatic drive using s88 feedback. Smile
Regards / Martin T
Offline Minok  
#20 Posted : 29 September 2016 22:14:26(UTC)
Minok

United States   

Ha ha, more like a pile of Euro coinsBigGrin Good suggestion nonetheless.

And a US $1 bill as well, as that is also a well understood item of size many are familiar with.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok
Offline hxmiesa  
#21 Posted : 01 October 2016 10:56:53(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Firtst of all, thanks for the kind words, Martin! Blushing

Originally Posted by: Martin T Go to Quoted Post
Analogue or digital is not a very valid question anymore. The fact that Märklin already decided to not develop or sell any pure analogue products is a good proof of that. Analogue is even getting hard to sell on ebay these days. Prices are dropping sharply. Analogue is a "retro" niche thing, like vinyl music records. It´s great, but maybe not for a new-bee.

I quite agree.
In this case, it would be valuable that you mention this in your video. An older person who gets back into the hobby, might recall analogue stuff, and wonder if THAT is the way he should go. Nobody starting from scratch should strive to stay analogue-only.

If you want to make 3 parts (each of 12mins length, is that it?), then I would segment it into this;
1) Choice of 2- or 3-rail system. (I think you skipped too easily over this in your last comment. Theres also a huge economic question to take into consideration; M-tracks are insanely expensive, and you have NO choice of supplier...) Then there is looks, geometry, etc.
I understand that you go for a layout-MAKING tutorial, which means that one would prefer soft flex-track curves. (tsk, tsk...)

2) Choice of layout-type. (Already well covered in your initial listing). Rectangular, L, U, Around the wall, Island, Modular, Shelf... Pros and cons and lots of sxample potos and videos.
In this, you could try to include; How to include the essential components in a layout/station. Industry-connection. BW. Lokwartegleis. Shaddowstation. Paradestrecke.

3) Landscaping and methods; Heavy net+plaster or the lighter expanded plastic-foam. Huge plates or narrow ramps, etc.

Edited by user 03 October 2016 09:17:02(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline rbw993  
#22 Posted : 03 October 2016 17:33:46(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Hi Martin,
Kalmbach, publisher of Model Railroader, offers a video "Building Your First Model Railroad". I don't know that anyone on this forum has seen it, as it is intended for the U.S. market. Not having seen it I can't say whether there might be anything useful about how it was it takes one through the process of planning and building. Has anyone here In the USA seen it? Martin, no matter what has been done before I look forward to the unique and entertaining viewpoint you will surely provide!

Best regards,
Roger
Offline Minok  
#23 Posted : 03 October 2016 23:13:41(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Martin,
Kalmbach, publisher of Model Railroader, offers a video "Building Your First Model Railroad". I don't know that anyone on this forum has seen it, as it is intended for the U.S. market. Not having seen it I can't say whether there might be anything useful about how it was it takes one through the process of planning and building. Has anyone here In the USA seen it? Martin, no matter what has been done before I look forward to the unique and entertaining viewpoint you will surely provide!

Best regards,
Roger

So its really that Michael Gross of US television and movie fame, narrating the series. ( Broke into the wrong rec room, didn't you... )

It introduces a model railroad and the various aspects of building a specific layout, but doesn't discuss the general questions about system choices. This video series seems more like a 'how to build this specific solution' so you can have a layout. It does discuss some of the options, and covers all of the aspects of going from nothing to a working layout, but from a US centric market perspective. Snap Track/flex track (like K-Track) / Bachman easy track (like C-Track) all 2-conductor (advantage to using nickle-silver rails), Walther scenery component building. Still a great survey of all aspects of building a model railroad.
---
My YouTube Channel:
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Minok