Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline LMichel  
#1 Posted : 23 September 2016 16:21:11(UTC)
LMichel

Belgium   
Hello,

I'd like to upgrade an old locomotive (3163) with a new mld3 decoder but I hesitate between the reference 60982 and 60972.

Which decoder best fists for the 3163 ?

Thanks for your help !

Michel

Offline TEEWolf  
#2 Posted : 23 September 2016 20:10:55(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: LMichel Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

I'd like to upgrade an old locomotive (3163) with a new mld3 decoder but I hesitate between the reference 60982 and 60972.

Thanks for your help !

Michel

Well, both new decoder have no sound, they are only loco decoders.

60982 has a wiring harness soldered to it with an 8-pin NEM interface connector plug for installation

60972 has a 21-pin interface connector and an accompanying interface connector circuit board for converting analogue and digital locomotives.

But first of all, what motor does your loco have? This will define your choice. I guess, first you have to find a new motor for your loco, because it might be still an analogue one.

Have a look here (even it is not in English)

Descripton of the 3163

and there

explosion drawing of 3163

P.S.: No offence Michael, brrrrr, but look up your word "fist", please Wink - I guess you mean "fit". If an Aussie is reading this, he will explode in laughing. OhMyGod
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 23 September 2016 20:58:01(UTC)
Webmaster

As TEEWolf says, if it's not a previously digital converted loco (ie not just a decoder upgrade) you will have to replace the motor parts too.

As I can see the 3163 has a DCM motor, and the motor replacement kit for that is 60941.

I would take the 60972 with the decoder module & plate. The 60982 will of course also work fine, but the 60972 will fit nicely - replacing the relay.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline dickinsonj  
#4 Posted : 24 September 2016 01:55:17(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
As TEEWolf says, if it's not a previously digital converted loco (ie not just a decoder upgrade) you will have to replace the motor parts too.

As I can see the 3163 has a DCM motor, and the motor replacement kit for that is 60941.

I would take the 60972 with the decoder module & plate. The 60982 will of course also work fine, but the 60972 will fit nicely - replacing the relay.
What he said!

All excellent advice Juhan, maybe because that is exactly what I would do as well. BigGrin

That AC to DC upgrade kit with 5 pole armature makes the old DCM motors run very well. Once you solder in the 21 pin plate, future decoder swaps will be just a simple plug in affair. Cool

Have you considered a sound decoder instead? They are not really all that expensive and I find that sound adds an important dimension to my locos.
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline TEEWolf  
#5 Posted : 25 September 2016 05:10:32(UTC)
TEEWolf

Originally Posted by: LMichel Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

Thanks for your help !

Michel

Hi Michel,

here another link for descritption and explanation of the difference between the 8 and 21 pin decoders. It is a bit more than the pins.

Information about 8 and 21 pins decoder

The advantage of this internetside is the bilingual documentation in German and English. And I think dickinsonj is right. You should select the 21-pin decoder. This keeps you a lot more options for the future. And in your loco is enough space for the bigger decoder.

Regards

Wolfgang