Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline MalinAC  
#1 Posted : 18 September 2016 12:47:04(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
I picked up some Roco and Fleischmann 3 rail with all locos chipped. The owner said they would only work on Ecos and if I tried to run them on Marklin digital it would fry the chips (pardon the pun). What would I need to run them along with the Marklin locos or is that not possible. I dont have a Marklin digital controllor as I only run anologe. Eddie
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 18 September 2016 12:58:55(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I think the previous owner is an idiot and doesn't know what he is talking about...........(unless there is something peculiar about the Roco and Fleischmann locos that I'm not aware of).

Both the Ecos and Marklin CS2 work with DCC, MM (Marklin Motorola) and mfx. If your locos can work with one of those protocols it will work with both a CS2 or Ecos.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline MalinAC  
#3 Posted : 18 September 2016 14:09:39(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
So which controllor should I get
Online river6109  
#4 Posted : 18 September 2016 14:36:12(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: MalinAC Go to Quoted Post
So which controllor should I get

first of all, find out what type of decoder is in the loco(s). they have to be multi protocol decoders which means they run on almost any system.

the owner who sold you these locos most probably ran them on 2 rail and not 3 rail,

to change them over to 3 rail: a.) you need to combine the wires which run from one side of the axle and the other side of the axle (+ and -) this will give you connection for both Märklin tracks, you than have to find the spare part list for your locos and see if there is a slider available for these locos and than convert the loco with a slider.

if the decoders are multi protocol you can use them with a newer analog transformer, if not you may have to consider to spend some money on a digital controller, such as CS or ECoS, but they aren't cheap and this depends again if you have enough locos to warrant such purchase.

if you are intending to stay analog, you could buy multi protocol decoders (with an 8 pin socket) and they would plug into your Roco loco straight away, so long you've got a suitable Märklin transformer, some pictures of your locos would be advantage to help you further to avoid any unnecessary communications.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 18 September 2016 16:03:17(UTC)
H0

Hi!

There are no "ECoS only" decoders, but there are decoders that cannot be used with "analogue AC" because the reversing voltage could fry the decoder.
If these are "SX only" decoders, then neither MS2 nor CS2 can control them.

Pictures of the opened locos and the decoders might help.

Did you get any decoder paperwork along with the locos?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline MalinAC  
#6 Posted : 18 September 2016 16:30:45(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
All the locos have a slider . The guy said that Marklin controllor only goes up to 88 for the address and the ones I got the address is in the high 100s. I will try and open one them tomorrow and post a picture . Eddie
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 18 September 2016 20:04:40(UTC)
H0

The guy said that Marklin controllor only goes up to 88 for the address ...
The MS2 can handle addresses up to 10239, the CS2 can handle addresses up to 9999.
Addresses up to 255 are no problem. The guy may not be up to date with respect to Märklin controllers.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Online river6109  
#8 Posted : 19 September 2016 01:58:07(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
the information your seller and the information you supply isn't enough to give you further answers unless you come to the party and let us know what's inside the loco (decoder) or ask him what type of decoder is in the loco. we are getting details from your seller which we are unable to verify what is what and why and you're effort to send us pictures will be a great help, until than.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#9 Posted : 19 September 2016 02:05:44(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The guy said that Marklin controllor only goes up to 88 for the address ...

The dealer is referring to the 6021 controller, which has a maximum of 80 addresses available. As Tom points out Marklin has moved on since then, so your dealer needs to update his information.

As to which controller you should buy, that's a question only you can answer.

Given the Ecos and CS2 are worth around 600 to 700 euros each (and you probably can't buy a new CS2 due to the pending release of the CS3), you might not want to spend that much on a controller for 2 digital locomotives.

You could try the Mobile Station 2 to start with, I'd suggest a Marklin 29000 set, which has a MS2, power supply and C track for about 135 euros.

Edited by user 19 September 2016 11:27:05(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline cookee_nz  
#10 Posted : 19 September 2016 13:04:04(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
I think the previous owner is an idiot and doesn't know what he is talking about...........(unless there is something peculiar about the Roco and Fleischmann locos that I'm not aware of).

(Snip) .

There is something indeed peculiar about both those brands; no matter how you re-arrange the letters, neither spell Marklin!!! BigGrin
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image