Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ixldoc  
#1 Posted : 16 September 2016 02:48:32(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Hi all,
Is this a previously unknown Marklin gauge 1 model of a tunnel inspection wagon for the London underground in the Victorian era?

Tunnel Inspection Wagon 1.jpg

Sadly no, not gauge 1 and not even Marklin, but it DOES run on my Marklin layout! ( not the tractor unfortunately which is a Breuer around the right time but on loan from Denmark).

Tunnel Inspection Wagon 4.jpg

The unit has a moveable top inspection platform ( hand cranked from below with the hand-wheel), and each end has a loading gauge rod which is swung out to the tunnel wall to check clearance. The distance is read from the angle subtended at the base of the rod. The handbrake has to be released for the wheel to turn and it has a reduction gear ( about 6:1) to the platform base. This allows an observer to check the roof condition, critical especially in the tunnels which were "cut and cover" initially.

The chassis is again old Hornby Dublo ( my last), with petrol tanker removed and repainted machinery grey. The wheels remain Hornby and run fine on C track.

Tunnel Inspection Wagon 3.jpg
Tunnel Inspection Wagon 5.jpg
Tunnel Inspection Wagon 6.jpg

Here the loading gauge rod is deployed.

Tunnel Inspection Wagon 7.jpg

Something suspicious was found so the inspector was called in.( Who I didn't realise looks a bit like Hitler on close up).

Tunnel Inspection Wagon 8.jpg

I think my age and tremor might put an end to these projects before long!
Thanks,
Howard.

thanks 9 users liked this useful post by ixldoc
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 16 September 2016 08:19:51(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Howard,
My failure to immediately recognise the Hornby Dublo chassis, puts me in a bracket worse than having the tremors.

That is an inspirational piece of work.
By the way, what form of lathe tool do you have, if any?

I am interested in the Breuer. That is a nice model. Is it an old Danish manufacturer?
I happen to have a couple of pieces of the Danish Long brand rolling stock, produced in HO in the early 50s to suit the Marklin runners.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline ixldoc  
#3 Posted : 16 September 2016 09:04:04(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Hi Kimball,
I was actually a bit uncertain to post it as it has no Marklin component , but does run on my layout at least!

I have a small lathe ( Austrian Unimat 3) which is now over twenty five years old and is very precise. It has a milling attachment which I rarely use now as I have a Proxxon bench mill.
For mid size jobs I have a Mini Lathe which is Chinese but a friend of mine worked on it for me and accurised it. It was not too flash straight out of the box.
My small vertical drill is by Proxxon in a drill press and for bigger work I use a Bosch bench vertical drill which allows very accurate speed control and depth of drilling.( Bunnings had them). I used all these tools to make the tunnel inspection car. The smallest thread tapped was 1.6mm. Very carefully.

The Breuer is a Rivarossi two rail model which I think is out of production not too long ago but would still be available on eBay.
I bought two and fitted a micro decoder to one and it runs a two rail shuttle I have on my layout. The other DSB model is two rail analogue.
SMF, MFB and Rivarossi made models. A mention and photo under Breuer in Blechundguss .com new items about 1/4 of the way down the list is worth a quick look.

I see bits for Long now and then on the net but never in the flesh yet.

Regards,
Howard.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ixldoc
Offline Jabez  
#4 Posted : 17 September 2016 00:51:18(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Oh the beauty of these old Victorian industrial artefacts (not to mention your model-making skills). Makes me think of the Crossness sewage pumping station:
https://www.google.be/se...#imgrc=wB7IkEVqjrvCXM%3A
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline dickinsonj  
#5 Posted : 17 September 2016 01:17:15(UTC)
dickinsonj

United States   
Originally Posted by: ixldoc Go to Quoted Post

I was actually a bit uncertain to post it as it has no Marklin component , but does run on my layout at least!

Thank you so much for sharing that! That is a beautiful creation and it was a joy to see. Models don't have to be Mäklin to inspire us!

You do amazing work! BigGrin
Regards,
Jim

I have almost all Märklin and mostly HO, although I do have a small number of Z gauge trains!
So many trains and so little time.
Offline ixldoc  
#6 Posted : 17 September 2016 03:08:21(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Jabez Go to Quoted Post
Oh the beauty of these old Victorian industrial artefacts (not to mention your model-making skills). Makes me think of the Crossness sewage pumping station:
https://www.google.be/se...#imgrc=wB7IkEVqjrvCXM%3A

Hi Jabez. Thanks for the comment and I agree about the Victorian pumping stations. The Crossness in particular is a thing of great beauty.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ixldoc
Offline ixldoc  
#7 Posted : 17 September 2016 03:17:32(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Originally Posted by: dickinsonj Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ixldoc Go to Quoted Post

Thank you so much for sharing that! That is a beautiful creation and it was a joy to see. Models don't have to be Mäklin to inspire us!

You do amazing work! BigGrin

Hi Jim, thanks for the comment. I was glad to hear that people enjoy railway model making and are happy to see non Marklin stuff.
That's why I posted it, not for any accolade ( my reward is the finished item) but for the members enjoyment.
Cheers,
Howard.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ixldoc
Offline xxup  
#8 Posted : 17 September 2016 05:31:35(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Miss 17 calls it Steampunk and is very impressed by your model. ThumpUp
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup