Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ixldoc  
#1 Posted : 16 September 2016 02:07:04(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Hi all,
This is an idea I had following the steam traction engine wagon I posted recently. ( modified stuff for Marklin).
The idea was triggered by a piece of plastic extrusion with slots in it the shape of HO track.
I had a couple of old bogies lying around for years, origin or make unknown, which had nice screw in wheel bearings. Marklin couplers were added.
So the chassis is a piece of U shaped aluminium and the base plate is also extruded aluminium.
The rail lengths of Marklin K track are mounted on a pallet which is then placed on the flat wagon by a crane using the brass lifting rings.
The brass rod is fixed in the chassis rail for some weight.
The capstan works to tension the chain and is locked by a small hex set screw ( with "machinery" look wheel attached).
Some photos:

Rail Carrier Wagon 1.jpg
Rail Carrier Wagon 3.jpg
Rail Carrier Wagon 5.jpg
Rail Carrier Wagon 9.jpg

The photos below show how the NEM couplers were attached. These are available from YD Models in France and are ingenious.
This set is specifically for Hornby acHO but can be used for other purposes. Other specific kits are available.
They are made from laser cut nickel silver and are easy to make up. I made a small brass bar to fold the sides around but fine nose pliers are suitable.
The rings are spacers for use with Hornby acHO ( 3 per coupling) but I didn't need any for these bogies.

Rail Carrier Wagon 6.jpg
Rail Carrier Wagon 7.jpg

Thanks,
Howard.

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by ixldoc
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 16 September 2016 13:01:16(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Howard
I also use the YD coupler adapters. He also makes them for Jouef. I found them extremely useful as you have done.
Nice gleisbau accessory by the way. Now you need a whole train of them.😄

Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Jabez  
#3 Posted : 17 September 2016 00:38:45(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Very neat idea. But don't take mechanization further and put the gandy dancers out of work.BigGrin
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez