Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Angus  
#1 Posted : 14 September 2016 14:59:28(UTC)
Angus

South Africa   
Hello Folks

Based on the documentation supplied with the loco I just had to take the shell off and put the smoker in and I then have a smoker, not really...

So I open up the loco and I plug in the smoker but I realise there is nothing that would enable the smoker to actually work. I looked a little closer and there are two lose wires, one white & one brown, which each have some of that shrink wrap stuff on them. I am guessing these need to be attached to the smoker.

I guess one goes on the little wire at the bottom of the smoker and the other to the smoker body, would someone be able to advise me on which goes where?

Thanks for the assistance

20160913_205035.jpg
Offline Dave Banks  
#2 Posted : 15 September 2016 02:04:29(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hi Angus, I am not a Brawa collector & therefore am not familiar with that loco at all. I am sure other members of this forum might be able to shed some light on this. But I am assuming that the shell / body of the loco is metal. If that be the case you need to check which colour wire on that loco corresponds with earth & take that wire & lets "assume" it is brown & connect it to the chassis where the other corresponding earth is or anywhere that is suitable. Assuming that the white wire is the power wire for the smoker, connect that to the base of the smoker. The body of the smoker will act as the earth when inserted through the hole in the body & it is normally a tight fit. Alternatively you could solder on the side of the tube the earth wire once inserted into the body. But before you do this make sure which wire is which. Use a test lamp to establish namely that the two wires are what you think they are & then sort the +ve from the - ve. My two cents worth from a former Jo-Burger.
D.A.Banks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline Angus  
#3 Posted : 15 September 2016 13:15:43(UTC)
Angus

South Africa   
Dan kan ek maar Afrikaans praat :)

Thanks Dave. I saw a little test lamp in the garage, must add it to my train tools.

I thought about the body being the ground but the smoker sits in the cradle as per my photo and the body sits over this so the smoker is not inserted through the existing hole in the loco body. I must check how effective the connection is between the top of the smoker & the body to see if this is perhaps the ground. And then as you say, determine which needs to be attached to the bottom of the smoker.

Unfortunately the loco documents don't really have much detail.

Thanks for the advice.
Offline Dave Banks  
#4 Posted : 15 September 2016 15:38:38(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
U is welkom meneer: Any chance of a better close up picture of the Smoke unit base? What Bike is that in your Avatar? I have a BMWG650GS Blushing
D.A.Banks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline Angus  
#5 Posted : 18 September 2016 07:50:36(UTC)
Angus

South Africa   
Will try post another one later today. (Sorry for delay in response, been in Harare on business)

It's a Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird, my fourth Bird I have devoured many joyous South African roads on them. I also have a 1977 Suzuki GS400.

The BM 650 is quite popular here in SA not quite as much as the bigger GS's though.
Offline Angus  
#6 Posted : 19 September 2016 08:28:54(UTC)
Angus

South Africa   
Problem solved.

The white wire goes on bottom of the smoker and the brown wire goes onto the body of the smoker. Should've guessed the brown would be ground.

Now looking good puffing away with the Messerschmitt consist behind BigGrin