Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline madhu.gn.71  
#1 Posted : 09 September 2016 02:54:14(UTC)
madhu.gn.71

India   
This is strange. Of late I'm very busy with my work and I'm unable to invest 'decent' amount of time on my second layout. When I don't get to work on the layout, I really get very stressed and mentally disturbedConfused . This is making me wake up real early like 3am in the morning and I end up working on my layout. Is this normal? Is this a compulsive disorder of an MRR? Share your views so that I feel normal (or abnormalLOL )
Offline dominator  
#2 Posted : 09 September 2016 09:44:17(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
You're in a bad way man. Addiction like this is a good problem to have though.

Keep up the good work.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Danlake  
#3 Posted : 09 September 2016 12:13:32(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
I think we all been there, working late hours in the train room and wish there was more hours in a dayBigGrin

I have now reach a staged in my layout building where most of the construction and wiring is complete and rather than being a workload I can not concentrate of small sections and refine them further. This is a real joy and having just 1 hrs in the train rooms gives me enough satisfaction till the next timeBigGrin

I would sometimes get stressed if there was a fault or issue I could not fix immediately. It would keep bothering until I found a solutionCursing

I do also have other hobbies and found going back forth between them, ensure I don't become addict to one hobby only...

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 09 September 2016 12:30:49(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It's funny that I now often feel that my work is getting in the way of my hobbies. I guess I'm getting close to retirement and can't wait to get my hands on all that extra time! BigGrin
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Rwill  
#5 Posted : 09 September 2016 14:09:43(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I find the worst of the addiction is when we are at the planning/modification stage of a layout.

At 10pm me and Scarm have the perfect solution mapped out and so off to bed relaxed.

At 3am the brain wont let me rest as it realised that the proposal was neither practical or perfect.

So we creep downstairs to modify the scarm file and whilst we are there maybe pop on here see if the colonies have anything useful to say and maybe look at my bank statement. Cant actually go into the train room as its next to our boudoir and I may be deaf but my wife can hear a squirrel fart at 200metres.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline Minok  
#6 Posted : 09 September 2016 20:52:05(UTC)
Minok

United States   
The MRR hobby is a good therapy to distract and redirect mental focus. The underlying source of stress is still there. You could do something else to burn off or redirect the mental focus as well.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline Thewolf  
#7 Posted : 09 September 2016 21:19:32(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
It tries my patience and I succeed all the same in passing across.... it's tough...but I did it in the end Cool

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline analogmike  
#8 Posted : 09 September 2016 23:02:15(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Hey Madhu,
Try putting a section of straight track under your pillow before you go to sleep.
Sometimes it helps.
Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by analogmike
Offline ixldoc  
#9 Posted : 10 September 2016 04:10:16(UTC)
ixldoc

Australia   
Hi Madhu,
Been there and done that! When I was building my remote control turntable project I would wake at 2am or 3am in a sweat realising what I had carefully thought out wasn't going to work if I turned the layout power off and on again later.
Took me six months to get the thing sorted and built. My wife realised I was crazier than she thought.

And Ray, I retired two years ago and I thank God for my hobby because you can only mow the lawn and listen to music and read for so long. I need something to make, and model railway affords that opportunity and then some.
Cheers,
Howard.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by ixldoc
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 10 September 2016 21:48:01(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
It's funny that I now often feel that my work is getting in the way of my hobbies. I guess I'm getting close to retirement and can't wait to get my hands on all that extra time! BigGrin

Well you better book it as 'working on the railway time' before the wife gets to hear about it as available time ... Laugh Laugh Laugh

All the guys I know who have retired wonder how they found time to do any work, as the wife has so many 'honey do's ... LOL LOL LOL LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline grnwtrs  
#11 Posted : 12 September 2016 04:50:21(UTC)
grnwtrs

United States   
Yes, Indeed! After 23 years, I still have to worry about the time I can afford to "Work kinda of stuff"

Best regards:

gene
Offline PMPeter  
#12 Posted : 12 September 2016 05:09:42(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

Well you better book it as 'working on the railway time' before the wife gets to hear about it as available time ... Laugh Laugh Laugh

All the guys I know who have retired wonder how they found time to do any work, as the wife has so many 'honey do's ... LOL LOL LOL LOL

Oh how true! I retired in mid-May and have spent less time on my model railroad than I did when I was working, and we had a miserable Summer in June and July!