Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Jabez  
#1 Posted : 09 September 2016 02:06:29(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
I have a load of old M-track material and I want to use it to create a shunting yard attached to my new C-track digital layout.
I'll have a spur from the C-track section to a C/M transition rail and thereafter an all M-track section. The digital locos, controlled by the MS2, will run throughout the whole system whether on C or M track.
The M-track turnouts, uncoupler rails, etc. do not have decoders so I will power them from an old 6611 16V AC output lighting transformer and control them through the old blue switch boxes with red/green buttons used for 5202 turnouts.
Does this sound OK? In particular the powering and control of the M-track turnouts etc?
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 09 September 2016 16:24:09(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It sounds perfectly fine to me.

If you want to you can also switch the M-track turnouts digitally using K83 or M83 decoders.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline sjbartels  
#3 Posted : 09 September 2016 17:20:54(UTC)
sjbartels

United States   
I agree, you could use K83 or M83 decoders for your M track switches. I have played around with mine with K83 decoders and had no problems at all
Finding used K83 decoders on eBay isn't terribly hard, I picked up a few for about $25 each and of course each K83 will operate four switches, so its not a bad deal
American by Geography, Australian by Birth. I am an original Ameristraylian
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by sjbartels
Offline Jabez  
#4 Posted : 09 September 2016 23:27:55(UTC)
Jabez

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: sjbartels Go to Quoted Post
I agree, you could use K83 or M83 decoders for your M track switches. I have played around with mine with K83 decoders and had no problems at all
Finding used K83 decoders on eBay isn't terribly hard, I picked up a few for about $25 each and of course each K83 will operate four switches, so its not a bad deal

Thanks, to RayF too,
This is what I had thought, but as an absolute newbie I wanted confirmation from experienced people.
The good news is that I can get the Viessmann 5211 Digital Decoder, which I believe is the equivalent of the K83, from Lokshop in Germany for €25, so I can take things a bit further.
I heard that lonesome whistle blow. Hank Williams
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jabez
Offline PMPeter  
#5 Posted : 10 September 2016 01:56:25(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
The Viessmann 5211 is equivalent to the K83 and has an added advantage that it can use external power for the solenoid powering rather than the valuable digital power. There are other manufacturers as well such as LDT and MAD4. I use all 4 types depending on when I can get a good price on one or the other.

Peter
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by PMPeter