Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harvey  
#1 Posted : 08 September 2016 19:41:55(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Looking for suggestions for weekend activities.

I will be in Sydney from early October to middle November BigGrin for work. Weekends may require some work but I should be able to do tourist things. Not looking to rent a car but willing to travel by train and bus.

My interests are:
any train hobby clubs open to the public
any historical train rides or just nice scenic rides leaving from Sydney
special activities in Sydney (other than trains)- I bought a tourist book but have not read yet.
Appreciate suggestions

Harvey

Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 08 September 2016 22:19:33(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Harvey,
All I can say is that Sydney has a stunning harbour, and your hotel will direct you how to get the most out of that, with ferry rides, historic naval dock yard visits etc.

A railway journey by electric train up the Blue Mountains (about 2 hours west) will get you to some majestic mountain vistas.

Other than that, I will leave suggestions to the Sydneysiders.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Tom Jessop  
#3 Posted : 08 September 2016 23:12:33(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Australia's biggest model rail exhibition is on in Sydney on the first weekend of October , Friday ,Sat & Sunday . There is a large Tram museum south of Sydney at Loftus ,every weekend for memory . Steam rail museum at Thirlmere ,about hours south west of Sydney ,car needed. Train Trader "M"dealer ' at Pymble ,small shop but some collectable stuff ,closing down for good in December . Scenic normal rail service to Wollongong ,sit on left side of train , same to Katoomba ,2 hrs west where you can ride the steepest cable hauled railway in the world then walk round to the new skyway & back to the top . Ferry trips to Manly thru our beautiful harbour or even to Parramatta the other direction .

Cheers Tom in Oz
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline waltklatt  
#4 Posted : 08 September 2016 23:48:38(UTC)
waltklatt

United States   
Also visit the Opera House, with the stunning scalloped clam shell like roof (if you appreciate architecture).
Also the harbor front area where they did a massive revival.
And the arch bridge going over the harbor.

Been there many years ago.

Walter
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 09 September 2016 00:21:53(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
The pickpockets are worse than Rome! Especially around the Circular Quay area. Hold on tight to your money.

Don't walk through places like Redfern or anything that says "Western Sydney" - think of Detroit..

Stay with the crowds and walk quickly..

The people in the City are not friendly.. Prices are like Paris, but the quality is China..

Go to Melbourne.. It has a much better hobby store.. And you can buy a postcard of the Opera House there..

Canberra is even better - War Memorial, National Art Gallery and they also have postcards of the Opera House..

Brisbane is just plain boring. Can't even get a post card of the Opera House..

Don't pat any Crocodiles - none of them are friendly.. LOL
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
DV
Offline Tom Jessop  
#6 Posted : 09 September 2016 01:22:47(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

But where else can you climb the biggest arch bridge in the world, admittedly at a price but I have been there & done that a few times & boy what a thrill it is . Come 7 see the total chaos of a new tram system being put thru the CBD replacing one which was removed 60 odd years ago under the whim of GM & the petrol companies paying off a corrupt government . Oh that's right we have one of those in power at present .

Cheers Tom in Oz

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 09 September 2016 06:26:08(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Hobbyco in the Queen and Victoria Centre in central Sydney used to sell Marklin, I heard that they may be winding down Marklin sales. https://hobbyco.com.au/

The other Marklin seller in Sydney is Train Trader who are on Pacific Highway close to the Pymble rail station (and therefore can be reached by a rail trip) http://www.traintrader.com.au/

If you like motor racing, Australia's Great Race the Bathurst 1000 Touring Car Race is being held on 6/9 October at Bathurst (about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Sydney) - http://www.supercars.com/bathurst1000/
Offline Drongo  
#8 Posted : 09 September 2016 07:24:00(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Harvey,

What you have read in the above posts is from people who live outside Sydney, so take it with a grain of salt.

They are right about the harbour and the foreshores - the Opera House and the Bridge are fantastic. As for hobby shops, yes, there aren't many, however, Hobbyco in the Queen Victoria Building in the CBD is worth a visit - currently they are updating their display window with a new train layout.

If you want a great day out and not for great cost - take the ferry from Circular Quay (CBD) to the zoo. The ferry stops at the base of the zoo, you get the chair lift to the top and work your way down back to the ferry. You'll see many Australian animals, providing they are not holidaying at the outback Dubbo zoo, as well as many other animals - it's one of the best zoos in the world. The ferry trip will give you an exciting view of the harbour and it's a cheap fare.

With reference to the unsavoury areas of Sydney, they are pretty safe during the day, however, like many parts of the world, not so safe at night. I live on the north shore which is regarded as a safer region of Sydney - some parts are great to visit, however, you can't rely too much on public transport - it either doesn't run too often and there's no-one around to help you. Like big cities in the world, peak hour (rush hour) is a disaster - that's the time to visit a pub or 2, and this is where you meet the people of Sydney. You'll be in Australia at the right time for the most important day in the year, 1st November, the first Tuesday of November - the whole country comes to a standstill in the afternoon to watch a horse race - the Melbourne Cup - a great adventure to see Australians at their best. Even if you don't like racing or you don't bet, this is something to participate in and enjoy the fun. You don't have to bet big - just be in it.

I hope you really enjoy your stay in Sydney - it's a fun place, a little like New York, Paris, London, Rome etc., but it's Sydney.

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline Tom Jessop  
#9 Posted : 09 September 2016 08:37:33(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

Harvey , I spent at least 50 years in Sydney & another 15 in the Blue Mtns before we moved to Newcastle , of the first 25 years I spent working in Sydney CBD as a communication technician & knew every street , lane way , arcade & shopping areas , the next 25, I spent as a Train driver & saw all of the suburbs which had rail access including all of the interurban lines out of Sydney . I agree that drongo may have thought that I had never seen Sydney to any great extent but I have probable seen more than most have & many places off limits to the public. All cities have their good & bad sides but in my opinion Sydney is a very safe city with only using a bit of common sense . Enjoy your stay & if you need any more questions answered don't hesitate to ask , forget about the Melbourne cup down in bleak city , its only for mug punters who want to lose money hand over fist .

Cheers Tom in Oz
Offline Harvey  
#10 Posted : 09 September 2016 09:40:36(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
To all

Thank you for the suggestions for sights to see. Mountain trip sounds nice for a day as does the Zoo. I will be walking around Sydney some (looking at my tour book for the highlights). Will also ask my co-workers who likely leave in the greater region. I think I will miss that first week end when the train exhibit is open. I arrive on the 9th at some time of the day.

Sydney sounds like New York - where I leave. Some good and some dangerous areas and they vary by time of day.

Regards
Harvey
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Harvey
Offline cookee_nz  
#11 Posted : 09 September 2016 11:47:48(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Harvey Go to Quoted Post
To all

Thank you for the suggestions for sights to see. Mountain trip sounds nice for a day as does the Zoo. I will be walking around Sydney some (looking at my tour book for the highlights). Will also ask my co-workers who likely leave in the greater region. I think I will miss that first week end when the train exhibit is open. I arrive on the 9th at some time of the day.

Sydney sounds like New York - where I leave. Some good and some dangerous areas and they vary by time of day.

Regards
Harvey

You know, you're going to be that close, you really should arrange a little detour on the way in or out and drop into NZ, Wellington specifically where our club can make you feel very welcome.

And Wellington is a lot like Sydney in many respects (all the good ones). When will you get another chance? take another week off and treat yourself :-) ThumpUp
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Harvey  
#12 Posted : 09 September 2016 15:06:53(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Cookee

Would love to but I will have been travelling for 3 month straight (including a 3 week vacation with my wife) with only 1-2 days between trips/projects. After this last project I must return home for Thanksgiving. I can not/will not miss Thanksgiving. We have a special family activity occuring now for 40 years on this holiday. New Zealand is hopefully another trip for my wife and myself. We can only hope

Regards
Harvey
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Harvey