Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Thewolf  
#1 Posted : 08 September 2016 17:32:10(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Hi guys Cool

I did not still understand the function ABV of locos.
I have difficulty understanding to what is of use this function, if it is necessary. It is necessary to activate it or not ?

Thank you

Thewolf
Project The Richelieu Valley Railway-CS2-Track C- Itrain-Digital
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 08 September 2016 17:53:15(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Wolf,

When the function is activated it sets the acceleration and braking delay to zero. The loco will go instantly to whatever speed is set on the speed dial. This is useful when you want to shunt in a goods yard or carry out operations when you don't want the delay to get in the way of good control of the loco.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Thewolf  
#3 Posted : 08 September 2016 18:21:13(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Thank you RayCool

It will be interesting that I ask the question to the forum of my software of control of train (Itrain). Heard that the software checks the stop and the progressive starting up of locos according to the speed, the question will be to know if it is necessary to activate or not this function

Thewolf
Offline Minok  
#4 Posted : 09 September 2016 00:34:24(UTC)
Minok

United States   
ABV is the Märklin abbreviation for the German phrase "Anfahr- und Bremsverzögerung", which translates to English as "Starting and Braking Delay" (So the English abbreviation might be something like SBD, but lets not)

What ABV is about is allowing locomotive delay settings to gradually change from any given speed to the new speed set by a controller command.
So if the controller tells the locomotive to change speed from 0 to 20 (as an arbitrary value), the locomotive could instantly (or nearly) accelerate fully to achieve the speed of 20.
Likewise a moving locomotive at speed 50, if you turn the controller to 0, could immediately stop the motor and bring the locomotive to a sudden halt.
This (I have experienced) also prevents the braking sounds in digital locomotives from being able to fully play out well, if at all.
That all looks very unnatural and toy-like, isn't prototypical (the physics of a prototypical locomotive prevent such changes given the mass of the actual trains).

So ABV values can be set to specify a range over which to go from one speed to the newly requested speed. The longer that time interval is, generally the more prototypical the behavior of the train. So then you can, for example, take a stopped train, turn the controller to speed 50, and know the locomotive itself will gradually speed up and pull away in a more natural way. Same for braking.

The ABV setting on the controllers (eg the Mobile Station) lets you temporarily override those ABV ramp up / ramp down settings. So while ABV is turned off, the locomotive will immediately (as possible) adjust to the speed you instruct it to drive. The locomotive/train will rely on your careful manipulation of the controller throttle to replicate a more natural acceleration and braking behavior.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 09 September 2016 01:29:15(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
WinDigiPet requires you to switch off ABV when you calibrate locos and use the software generally.. The computer controls the acceleration and deceleration to ensure that the loco stops in the same place every time. (Well +-5mm, by my testing). For modern digital locos this is not a problem if you also run them outside the WinDigiPet environment, but older decoders that use the trim pot to set the ABV it is a real pain..

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Thewolf  
#6 Posted : 09 September 2016 16:57:31(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Thanks to you two for your answersCool

I think that the ABV function must be off with the software Itrain. This software does the same work than WinDigiPet. Next week I shall ask the question on the forum Itrain.

Thewolf
Offline Danlake  
#7 Posted : 09 September 2016 18:09:31(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Wolf,

Yes turn it off when you are using computer software.

Brgds Lasse

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline Thewolf  
#8 Posted : 09 September 2016 18:22:18(UTC)
Thewolf

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Danlake Go to Quoted Post
Hi Wolf,

Yes turn it off when you are using computer software.

Brgds Lasse

Thank you Lasse Cool

So not need as I ask the question on the forum ItrainCool

Thewolf

Offline Minok  
#9 Posted : 09 September 2016 20:35:53(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Agreed - the ABV feature of the locomotive decoders is there to produce more realistic starting and stopping(braking) behavior when the locomotives are controlled by a human operator on a manual throttle controll.

If you are using computer automation to drive the trains, then that software can (and does) do that same work of realistically ramping up and down the speed, so you want to turn off the ABV feature of the decoders (either via the function, or if your never using hand controllers, set the values of those ABV features to 0 (I think) ).
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 10 September 2016 20:53:09(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
There is one aspect of ABV as implemented by Marklin in early decoders, and I don't know if they still do it, but turning off ABV also caused the loco to operate at half speed over its speed control range. It was then termed 'shunting mode' (which I think is why Marklin use a tortise as the symbol).

I know that ABV and slow speed are two seperate configurable items on ESU decoders, but the ones supplied to Marklin during the Marklin/ESU partnership in the early days of mfx had the two capabilities linked in the decoders ESU supplied to Marklin.

So running your locos with ABV off may limit the top speed to half the possible available speed. It was called shunting mode to facilitate easier coupling and uncoupling operations and allow more prototypical attachment of a loco to a train.

Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 10 September 2016 23:57:50(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
There is one aspect of ABV as implemented by Marklin in early decoders, and I don't know if they still do it, but turning off ABV also caused the loco to operate at half speed over its speed control range. It was then termed 'shunting mode' (which I think is why Marklin use a tortise as the symbol).
Märklin introduced this shunting mode with reduced maximum speed with the C Sine locos (decoders with mouse pianos).

With any mfx decoder you can have ABD/ABV and shunting mode - on one function key or on separate function keys.
I think only few Märklin mfx locos have a function key for shunting mode.

The CS2 has several symbols that all map to the tortoise symbol when locos register with the MS2.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage