Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mwade1979  
#1 Posted : 06 September 2016 06:19:35(UTC)
mwade1979

United States   
Hello everyone
I currently have a Digitrax layout and logos with different decoders..etc. I want a layout with cantenary operation most likely with C-track. I've never used this track and as of now I haven't purchased anything AC. Can a cantenary system be setup using a digital or AC system that is fully functional? (Switches, signals, decoders..etc) I have searched high and low on the Internet and nothing has been of help. Everything is very vague and unhelpful. Anyone have any pics, manuals or videos of how to set up the system?
Offline hxmiesa  
#2 Posted : 06 September 2016 10:21:26(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
The Märklin catenary system is FULLY functional. It has a pretty complete accessory list, so you can do a full layour very prototipically. (German style)
For running digital it is not really advised, though. Firstly it is not necessary that it be fully functional, and secondary it is slightly less stable for conducting power and data to the locos. It is certainly extremly fragile, should minor accidents happen.
Therefore many ppl choose to install the Viessmann equivalent of the system. Almost same looks and components, but cheaper and can be left without function, for looks only. Then you can also save on installations in tunnels and covered areas. All-in-all less gray hairs! ;-)

WHY do you need to make it functional?
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 06 September 2016 11:13:47(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: mwade1979 Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone
I currently have a Digitrax layout and logos with different decoders..etc. I want a layout with cantenary operation most likely with C-track. .......

Hi M,
C track is available in a 2 rail version, brand-named TRIX. The Marklin catenary will suit that.

The Marklin catenary system is certainly fully functional, and I have heard of operations where it also supplies the "+" current.
I have this catenary installed on my C track (3 rail) layout, and it operates without a hitch, literally.
Though I do not have it supplying the "+", it is for looks only.

The only issue I see, is the wiring inside the loco would have to suit the catenary pick-up, as an alternative to track pick-up.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline mwade1979  
#4 Posted : 06 September 2016 14:30:40(UTC)
mwade1979

United States   
Originally Posted by: hxmiesa Go to Quoted Post
The Märklin catenary system is FULLY functional. It has a pretty complete accessory list, so you can do a full layour very prototipically. (German style)
For running digital it is not really advised, though. Firstly it is not necessary that it be fully functional, and secondary it is slightly less stable for conducting power and data to the locos. It is certainly extremly fragile, should minor accidents happen.
Therefore many ppl choose to install the Viessmann equivalent of the system. Almost same looks and components, but cheaper and can be left without function, for looks only. Then you can also save on installations in tunnels and covered areas. All-in-all less gray hairs! ;-)

WHY do you need to make it functional?

I was just hoping to utilize the Pantagraphs on the locos but I'll be looking into the TRIX so that I can keep all of my logos and not switching to a separate AC system.
Offline mwade1979  
#5 Posted : 06 September 2016 14:32:14(UTC)
mwade1979

United States   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mwade1979 Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone
I currently have a Digitrax layout and logos with different decoders..etc. I want a layout with cantenary operation most likely with C-track. .......

Hi M,
C track is available in a 2 rail version, brand-named TRIX. The Marklin catenary will suit that.

The Marklin catenary system is certainly fully functional, and I have heard of operations where it also supplies the "+" current.
I have this catenary installed on my C track (3 rail) layout, and it operates without a hitch, literally.
Though I do not have it supplying the "+", it is for looks only.

The only issue I see, is the wiring inside the loco would have to suit the catenary pick-up, as an alternative to track pick-up.

regards
Kimball

I will be looking into TRIX. THANKS
Offline PMPeter  
#6 Posted : 06 September 2016 16:25:06(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Perhaps I am missing something, but why do you need to change your track to add catenary? The catenary power supply will be independent of the track power supply.

Since you say you are using Digitrax I assume you have an existing 2 rail layout to which you now want to add an AC based catenary for either AC or digital control. The biggest concern with that approach is a short circuit between the 2 systems during a derailment, etc.
Offline mwade1979  
#7 Posted : 06 September 2016 16:55:41(UTC)
mwade1979

United States   
Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
Perhaps I am missing something, but why do you need to change your track to add catenary? The catenary power supply will be independent of the track power supply.

Since you say you are using Digitrax I assume you have an existing 2 rail layout to which you now want to add an AC based catenary for either AC or digital control. The biggest concern with that approach is a short circuit between the 2 systems during a derailment, etc.

I only want my high speed passenger trains on the new track to give the look of high speed rail. I'm keeping my freight trains separate with the exception of a couple of Amtraks that I have
Offline Minok  
#8 Posted : 06 September 2016 22:58:04(UTC)
Minok

United States   
If you are building new layout and want to add cantenary AND you already have 3 contact Märklin locomotives (AC/Digital) then I'd install the full Märklin 3 conductor tracks even if you were going to run cantenary - that way you could at some point, run a non-electric diesel on the same line and still have the full 3-conductor capabilities. If your all DC then of course that isn't relevant.

If you want to do this for cosmetic reasons, the cheaper solutions mentioned are a good solution. There isn't a need to actually pull the electrical signal/power form the overhead if you already do so reliably from the track/rails.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline hxmiesa  
#9 Posted : 07 September 2016 11:35:41(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Hum. In the moment you put a 3-rail ("AC") waggon or loco on your tracks, the two rails will be bridged/shorted. You cant mix the motorized rolling stock!
If you install a 3-rail system, you can electrically prepare it to run either 2-rail OR 3-rail by the flip of a switch, but not at the same time.
It is not recommended though, as much 2-rail rolling stock will derail on 3-rail track. -and vice-versa!

In case that you already have a 2-rail collection, you should just stick with that. Much of Märklins stuff can be aquiered in 2-rail versions, under the TRIX brand name (as mentioned).
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com