Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dietcoke777  
#1 Posted : 18 August 2016 08:59:12(UTC)
dietcoke777

Hong Kong   
Hi - I am new to this community.

I have been given a box of C tracks and I want to run 4 locos Ep VI locos (186 Cargo/Vectron193) with a 230 Volt 18 VA Transformer (66201), a Base Station C Track with IR Controller (194548) and an IR Controller (179881) from the MyWorld digital starter pack over 15 meters / 50ft of track.

My questions are:
1. Will this work?
2. IR Controller only has fn 1-4. How constraining is it in extracting all the digital sound features from the locos (assuming properly equipped with mfx onboard sounds, etc)?
3. Since IR Controller only understands Addresses 78, 72, 60 and 24, how difficult is it to change the locos' factory address settings to any one of these pre-configured addresses?

Thank you in advance for your answers and suggestions
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 18 August 2016 09:26:36(UTC)
H0

Hi,
Welcome to the Forum.

Re 1: The controller should have enough power to run two trains at the same time. Four locos on the track, two standing still, should be no problem.

Re 2: You can use all four addresses of the controller to get 15 through 17 functions from one loco. Since you have 4 locos, better use 5 functions per loco only.
You need another controller to configure the locos for multi-address operation.

Re 3: Easy for Märklin locos. Just follow the controller manual. Procedure will also work for some non-Märklin locos.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline dietcoke777  
#3 Posted : 19 September 2016 13:58:08(UTC)
dietcoke777

Hong Kong   
I ended up with an AC Piko Taurus thinking "for Marklin with decoder for AC and DC operation" must work with Marklin right?! So I followed the instructions - held down the reverse/forward button and powered up the track with the IR controller pointed to the lens and after several times I gave up. The Taurus just sat there stationary with no lights and locked wheels.... largely thanks to Piko's Uhlenbrock decoder being incompatible with any Marklin Delta based set-up (as I found out later).

Is it correct that I need to change the address of the Piko Taurus to any one of 78, 72, 60 and 24 through a Marklin Mobile or Central Station, and then repeat the above process?

Seeing that the train didn't even light up on the track, could I possibly have been using a dud track/power supply? Aren't the wheels supposed to roll once there is power on the track?

Thank you for your help in advance!
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 19 September 2016 15:37:00(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: dietcoke777 Go to Quoted Post
largely thanks to Piko's Uhlenbrock decoder being incompatible with any Marklin Delta based set-up (as I found out later).
There are some Märklin controllers that cannot change the addresses of Märklin decoders.
While Märklin still used DIP switches on the decoders, ESU and Uhlenbrock came up with programmable decoders that could be programmed with a Märklin CU 6021.
Märklin later bought ESU decoders and copied the ESU scheme for use with their own decoders.

How old is that Taurus? Does it still have an AnDi decoder (factory default address would be 78, but default was analogue mode) or a later decoder for MM and DCC?

Originally Posted by: dietcoke777 Go to Quoted Post
Is it correct that I need to change the address of the Piko Taurus to any one of 78, 72, 60 and 24 through a Marklin Mobile or Central Station, and then repeat the above process?
That should do the trick. ECoS, Märklin 6021, Intellibox and some other controllers can also be used.
Procedure depends on the type of decoder.

The loco is supposed to do nothing until you select the correct address.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline dietcoke777  
#5 Posted : 21 September 2016 01:44:50(UTC)
dietcoke777

Hong Kong   
I got my train working last night! The culprit turned out to be that flimsy copper pick up strip not making full contact with the track studs. The train itself did carry a Marklin decoder which made things much easier by following the instructions in the IR controller book.

You are absolutely right that the loco isn't supposed to do anything until a correct address is chosen.

Thanks again Tom!