Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline biedmatt  
#1 Posted : 09 July 2016 17:54:27(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
That roundhouse I mentioned in another thread.

The base glued together and screwed down. You must fasten it to a piece of wood while you erect the walls. Vollmer provides a piece of plastic you place at each stall entrance and then screw it down. Done this way the width across the front will be correct when you install the front panels. If loose, it just flops around like an accordion.

UserPostedImage

The walls are up.

UserPostedImage

Masked to paint the walls.

UserPostedImage

Lower roof installed...

UserPostedImage

...and masked for paint. Edit: I actually masked and painted it twice. See that gap in the roof panel bottom center? I did too after it was painted. So I filled it and any other open seams and painted it again. I did not make the same mistake on the upper roof.

UserPostedImage

Edges of window frames masked so they will be naked for gluing into place.

UserPostedImage

Upper roof glued into place...

UserPostedImage

Upper roof painted and skylights and roof ironwork installed.

UserPostedImage

I now need to do the smoke stacks and install the doors and it is ready for weather and then window install. The door mechanisms are quite fidgety so I plan to glue the doors in an open position, this way I will be able to tell who is parked where. Besides, why look at closed green doors when you can see lovely black and red steam lokos.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 09 July 2016 19:07:03(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Wonderful Matt!

Brgds Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline michelvr  
#3 Posted : 09 July 2016 19:20:58(UTC)
michelvr

Canada   
Beautiful! Is it made to lift up if you have a derailment inside the sheds?

Michel
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by michelvr
Offline biedmatt  
#4 Posted : 09 July 2016 19:50:26(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: michelvr Go to Quoted Post
Beautiful! Is it made to lift up if you have a derailment inside the sheds?

Michel

Hi Michel, Yes, once the wall and roof are installed, the structure takes on a significant amount of rigidity. They intend for the lower roof panels to set in place and lift off for service. But the fit of more than a dozen loose panels would never be great. Since it will mostly be seen from above, I wanted the roof to be perfect.
Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline jcrtrains  
#5 Posted : 09 July 2016 20:45:40(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Love the way it goes past 180 degrees. A real show piece. I only have 15 stalls in the building at 7.5 degrees so it covers 112.5 degrees. Really great to see yours
Offline biedmatt  
#6 Posted : 09 July 2016 22:03:05(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: jcrtrains Go to Quoted Post
Love the way it goes past 180 degrees. A real show piece. I only have 15 stalls in the building at 7.5 degrees so it covers 112.5 degrees. Really great to see yours

Thank you. I wanted it to come beyond 180 degrees and give the viewer a feeling they were being enveloped by the roundhouse. I considered using all 18 stalls, but that only left 90 degrees of viewing space from Preisering level. I thought that might be to constrictive. This seemed to offer the best amount of viewing angles and still give the effect I desired.

I actually considered the Fleischmann 7.5 degree roundhouse, but to go beyond 180 degrees would mean it would cover a very large area. For those who may not understand, at 7.5 degrees, the spokes from the turntable are much longer because at the turntable, the spokes come very close together. To get the lokos to clear each other on the 7.5 degree spokes, you need to pull them back further into the spoke. At 15 degrees, the angle is wide enough that they can clear one another at the turntable. A roundhouse with 7.5 degree spokes has a significantly larger outside diameter. Compare the recommended track pieces that make a spoke between 7.5 and 15 degrees and you will see how much longer the 7.5 spokes are. But those 32 stall doors would have been darn impressive.
Matt
Era 3
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 10 July 2016 03:42:36(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Good thread Matt, this is probably how I should have constructed my 2 Vollmer 5758 (now 45758) 6 stall roundhouses - I've put the end wall on the first one rather than leaving open and joining the two baseplates together. Not sure if I could easily remove it without breaking something.

I agree with you regarding the doors - the opening mechanism looks to be a bit hit and miss, so like you I will leave the doors permanently open.

UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline biedmatt  
#8 Posted : 10 July 2016 05:33:37(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Hi David, I was a little worried stacking so many stalls together into one structure. I could see Vollmer configured it as a build possibility, but compounding alignment problems caused me some concerns. I checked my progress with a T-square as I worked the front and rear walls. It was a big relief when I placed the end wall opposite the one from which I started. But the roof didn't fit so well. The rear lower roof went well, I didn't think the seam I reference above would be very bad once painted, but I was wrong. The lower front roof and upper roof panels required some modifications to one side or the other as I worked my way around. I would mark the amount of material to remove and then place a piece of masking tape as a reference and sand it to the tape edge on a disc sander. It all went rather quickly, but the upper roof had some seams that definitely needed fill. There I also had to keep the peak at the correct spot on the roof truss which sometimes forced a gap between panels. I was getting run out between where the peak was and where it should have been. Filling then required a technique I have never used before. You can't just squeegie in some filler and sand it or the textured roof detail would be lost at the filled seams. So I thinned the Squadron filler with lacquer thinner, filled the seam and then wiped away the excess. A final wipe with a lacquer thinner soaked rag removed the last unwanted remnants, no sanding required.

https://www.micromark.co...i-qQC4HkE2yI0aAnGf8P8HAQ

http://www.squadron.com/...utty-SQ9060-p/sq9060.htm
Matt
Era 3
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline NZMarklinist  
#9 Posted : 11 July 2016 01:58:33(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Great Modelling skills again Matt. Doesn't anybody make the reasonably perfect Kit ???

I have four of the Marklin 72883 to build a twelve bay Shed. Does anybody know if they have similar alignment problems to the Vollmer Kits ?

The Marklin Kits come with a spring loaded, Loco operated, door mechanism but I have been thinking / Dreaming ?? about putting ESU servos in to open & close them Scared Laugh
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline biedmatt  
#10 Posted : 11 July 2016 02:22:05(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Thanks Glen. I believe this will be my last, large, single piece kit. I have a factory and city buildings left, but thankfully those are smaller kits just placed beside each other.

Vollmer kits have always impressed me with the fit and quality. This is no exception, but when you start to gang several kits together, assembly errors can creep in if you are not vigilant and check everything as you go. I was extremely careful, but I know I am not perfect. Fortunately there is filler to fix the small problems that inevitably find their way into such a large build.

The Vollmer doors use a wire spring between the doors and a stamped, formed, 1/8 inch metal rod. Neither of which is very precise. I really like what Fleischmann does with their kit. Can you post scans of Marklin's instructions? I'd like to see what they do. Servo operated doors BTW, would be incredibly cool.

http://www.fleischmann.d.../2/de/BA_6476_201038.pdf

An overhead picture of the roof. A bit boring due to the size and single color. Weathering will sort that out.

UserPostedImage
Matt
Era 3
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline analogmike  
#11 Posted : 11 July 2016 03:14:53(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Hello Matt.
Nice job.Do you have any intentions of painting in the mortar lines on the brickwork? Mikey
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
Offline biedmatt  
#12 Posted : 11 July 2016 03:44:47(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Hi Mikey,

Thanks and no! LOL I've never had any luck with the wash and wipe technique of mortar paint. I once did mortar lines on a Kibri watertower with an inking pen, but I do not have the patience to do the same on a kit this size.

Edited by user 11 July 2016 13:58:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Matt
Era 3
Offline biedmatt  
#13 Posted : 11 July 2016 14:23:39(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Glen, Sometimes I forget about Marklin's data base and the instructions linked to each item. Marklin and Vollmer use a nearly identical mechanism for the doors.

https://static.maerklin....b58dee79091434542440.pdf
Matt
Era 3
Offline steventrain  
#14 Posted : 11 July 2016 20:47:33(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Excellent work Matt!
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Shamu  
#15 Posted : 12 July 2016 01:35:45(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Well done as usual Matt ThumpUp

One question though...... were all your kits the same or a mix of old and the new box types ?
Just wondering if there is any difference between them.

Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline biedmatt  
#16 Posted : 12 July 2016 01:53:21(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Hello Shane,

They were all the new 5 digit number kits. I bought all three from a dealer in Germany. But this is definitely the same as the 4 digit kit except for the roof. Mine was all just the single color molding. The early kits have a second color sprayed on the corners.
Matt
Era 3
Offline Shamu  
#17 Posted : 12 July 2016 02:03:08(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Thanks Matt.

Humm, I have 2 of the old and 1 of the new but so long as all the moldings are the same I can live with colour deviations.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline NZMarklinist  
#18 Posted : 12 July 2016 06:52:57(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
Glen, Sometimes I forget about Marklin's data base and the instructions linked to each item. Marklin and Vollmer use a nearly identical mechanism for the doors.

https://static.maerklin....b58dee79091434542440.pdf

Hi Matt, you beat me to it. I figured the link would save me a scan and upload, just hadn't got to it, good on you ThumpUp
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline biedmatt  
#19 Posted : 17 July 2016 21:52:36(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Pretty close now.

The gutters masked for paint

UserPostedImage

Assembly is now complete. I need to touch up some fog spots from the CA glue used to hold the downspouts and it is ready for weather and then the windows.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Matt
Era 3
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by biedmatt