Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Johnvr  
#1 Posted : 09 July 2016 11:47:11(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hi all,

(Re-posting this article from another thread but with a different topic heading for a wider audience)

You have to have Signals and Braking Delays on your layout !

On my layout, I have 10 x Marklin 7039 Signals. Yes, the good old fashioned Marklin signals, most of them probably 25 years old by now.

The 7039 signals are operated by k83 decoders, so they can be controlled from the Central Station, and in addition can be activated by contact tracks and s88 modules. (Signal Yellow and blue wires). Alternately, they could be operated by manual box switches in analog mode, if that is your preference.

The signal's current feeder wires (Signal Red Wires) are connected to the Braking Delay Relay.
The Braking Delay Relay switches the circuit board between "Go" and "Slow Down".
The Braking Delay always provides current to the locomotives on the track, so you continue to have lights shining, smoke smoking, sounds, etc while the train is at the station.

The Braking Delays can be home made based on the original design by Huib Maaskant. They can be built using simple electronic components.
Of course the original Marklin Braking Delays can also be purchased if that is your preference.

You can see the result in a video here :
John Trains with Signals and Braking Delays

Here are instructions which I wrote out for my system :
Braking Delay Instructions.doc (457kb) downloaded 191 time(s).

If you need more detailed information, please PM me.

Regards,BigGrin
John
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline sjlauritsen  
#2 Posted : 09 July 2016 13:44:58(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Very informative. Thanks!
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline Brakeman  
#3 Posted : 09 July 2016 18:16:41(UTC)
Brakeman

United States   
Thanks for the re-run, this is in my to-do list!
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#4 Posted : 10 July 2016 20:00:03(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
This looks just like the solution I needed! So if I understand right you are running digital, and use the braking delays to stop as well as brake under digital power, no computer programming needed?
SBB Era 2-5
Offline Johnvr  
#5 Posted : 11 July 2016 08:58:09(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hello,

Yes, I am running Marklin Digital, and no other software.
I have CS1 and 6021, my friend has MS2 and Ecos, and they work fine.

Regards,BigGrin
John
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#6 Posted : 11 July 2016 16:44:53(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Thanks! Something to investigate as my planning continues...
SBB Era 2-5
Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 12 July 2016 10:21:17(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
you don't mind if I add my braking module and sensor to your topic, in principal the same system just a different sensor.
automatic operation, track 1, track 2, track 3 and than again repeats the process, this set up is at the moment just within a station yard, station siding but can be easily linked to incorporate the next station by using the same system, track 1, track 2. the way it works: a train enters a station on track 1, stops and activates track 2, two tracks merge as 1 track and there the sensor sets track 2 to red, another train enters track 2 and sets track 1 to green enters the single track and sets the signal to red again.

a video down the track will show you the operation: which includes, the movement of turnouts, the signal fader, signal's switching lights and the braking distance and startup of locos.

John

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#8 Posted : 12 July 2016 11:56:36(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Johnvr Go to Quoted Post
Hi all,

(Re-posting this article from another thread but with a different topic heading for a wider audience)

You have to have Signals and Braking Delays on your layout !

On my layout, I have 10 x Marklin 7039 Signals. Yes, the good old fashioned Marklin signals, most of them probably 25 years old by now.

The 7039 signals are operated by k83 decoders, so they can be controlled from the Central Station, and in addition can be activated by contact tracks and s88 modules. (Signal Yellow and blue wires). Alternately, they could be operated by manual box switches in analog mode, if that is your preference.

The signal's current feeder wires (Signal Red Wires) are connected to the Braking Delay Relay.
The Braking Delay Relay switches the circuit board between "Go" and "Slow Down".
The Braking Delay always provides current to the locomotives on the track, so you continue to have lights shining, smoke smoking, sounds, etc while the train is at the station.

The Braking Delays can be home made based on the original design by Huib Maaskant. They can be built using simple electronic components.
Of course the original Marklin Braking Delays can also be purchased if that is your preference.

You can see the result in a video here :
John Trains with Signals and Braking Delays

Here are instructions which I wrote out for my system :
Braking Delay Instructions.doc (457kb) downloaded 191 time(s).

If you need more detailed information, please PM me.

Regards,BigGrin
John

Quite awesome John- love the way the trains stop and start "realistically" with all the sound effects; and that rake of Shell wagons-magnificent!! Beautiful curved station platforms :)
Enjoy your UK visit!
Joe