Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kokomo  
#1 Posted : 02 July 2016 22:17:42(UTC)
kokomo

Argentina   
Hello everybody

I am a long time DC modeller, but decided to switch to 3-rail world not so long ago after I "inherited" an SBB/CFF starter model equipped with a digital locomotive and control (both shown).

The set came with C-track, which is rather easy to wire, and this is my first attempt using K-track.

I am trying to build a simple stub track, length around 140 cm long, where I can test my locomotives and I have some unforeseen difficulties wiring it.

UserPostedImage

I welded solid copper wire (red) to the center rail at each side of this test-track and I used some Atlas rail feeders I had for supplying electricity to the outer rails (black).

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The thing is after connecting the trafo and the Mobile Station to the little grey box and both corresponding wires, the loco does not move at all. As if the MS did not recognize it at all. I know this connection is not definite but I want just to know if electrically is viable and without any short circuit.

What am i doing wrong here? Confused I thought it was dead easy Glare I know that some extra soldering needs to be done to some tiny gaps at the track but I have placed the loco on every single part of the track and the result is the same. Cursing

Any suggestion is really welcome
Modeling Central European trains. Eras III, IV and V
Mostly UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage but can also get some French or Italian articles too
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 02 July 2016 23:06:46(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: kokomo Go to Quoted Post
I thought it was dead easy
It should be easy.
Does the loco move on C track?
Does the loco move when you hold red at the centre slider and brown at the wheels?
Is there power on the track? You can test it with a multi-meter (AC range) or a light bulb.

Which starter set is it?
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline kokomo  
#3 Posted : 02 July 2016 23:14:36(UTC)
kokomo

Argentina   
Hi, thanks for the prompt reply.
Set is # 29483 and loco works fine on C track.
Dont have a tester with me. Wiring for digital needs anything special?
Mostly UserPostedImage UserPostedImage UserPostedImage but can also get some French or Italian articles too
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 03 July 2016 08:19:04(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kokomo Go to Quoted Post
Wiring for digital needs anything special?
Not really.

Your rail joiners leave a gap between the rails. Maybe the centre-rail connectors do not make contact there. Maybe only parts of your test track have power.
Or maybe another gap elsewhere. A light bulb or a continuity tester might be helpful here.

Hold a wire between centre rail and outer rail and the STOP light should go on on the MS2. You can try to make a short right between the feeding points and try again further away.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline kokomo  
#5 Posted : 03 July 2016 18:19:39(UTC)
kokomo

Argentina   
Thanks.

What is weird is that both red central wires do not work. That's strange. I do have a tester, now that I think about it, but never used it that's why I did not recall owning one. Electricity in all its ways is not my strongest point.

In case I use the tester, i should put the red wire to the puko in the center and the black one to one of the rails?

I asked about wiring for digital because I read that Marklin had a feeder rail piece exclusive for digital and one for analogic.
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 03 July 2016 20:52:08(UTC)
H0

For analogue layouts you need a feeder rail with capacitor and additional feeder tracks without capacitor.
For digital, all feeders should be without capacitor (otherwise the loco will run a few seconds only).

With a voltmeter (AC) you should test with red at the studs and black at the outer rails. Also check directly at the track box and in between until you find the interruption.
Don't pay attention to the volt reading - just look for greater 0 or 0.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline kokomo  
#7 Posted : 03 July 2016 23:33:13(UTC)
kokomo

Argentina   
Ok, so I went back to the track and tried first to check if the loco was operational (I was 99% sure it was, but just in case). It worked

UserPostedImage

Then I put the loco on the track and directly connected the wires from the Marklin grey box to the rails. It worked

UserPostedImage

However there were some parts of the track, both ends, where it did not run. It seems the welding was not good there so I had to improve it and after some testing it worked.

UserPostedImage

Here, a short video...

Now my next challenge, the big viaduct...

ps: one question, if you feed only one of the rails instead of both, will the loco still run or does it need both?
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 04 July 2016 08:32:03(UTC)
H0

It's better to feed both outer rails - contact and conductivity will be better. Locos should work more reliably.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline kokomo  
#9 Posted : 05 July 2016 15:12:14(UTC)
kokomo

Argentina   
Thanks. It was just a doubt I had (if it was technically viable)