Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#1 Posted : 07 June 2016 22:40:38(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Hi all,

I have a few collector friends I could surely throw this question at but I thought the topic might appeal to a few enthusiasts out there and I'm sure some of those I could ask 'offline' will see this message anyway and respond, that way we all learn :-)

So, last weekend a bunch of us from the MMRC attended the 60th anniversary of the Hastings Model Railway Club, we took along our famed "Bergtalbahn" exhibition layout as well as a couple of kids play layouts and a good time was had by all.

On our return we stopped in at this facility Middleton Railway in Eketahuna as it's always worth a visit and I had not been for about 10 years (since our last trip up to the same area actually).

Although it's predominantly British, there is also a respectable display of some quite rare items among which is a single Marklin 0-gauge Loco but a somewhat rare beast by all accounts.

It's an 0-4-0 Steam Loco, Green, lettered for the 'Southern" Railway. It's 3-rail electrically powered but the interesting thing is it's a low-voltage version. By low-voltage I mean around 4 volts.

The info label beside the loco states it as being 6v but I'm not sure this is entirely correct, unfortunately I was unable to get a clear photo of the rear plate where the voltage is stamped.

Trying to find any helpful info about Marklin 0-gauge on the web has not turned up anything useful although I am sure there would be some excellent sites in German if I knew where to look.

As best I can tell, the low-voltage system was available right up to WWII ie around 1939 but I have not been able to find this particular item in any of the old reference catalogues I have through the 20's - 30's.

There are similar Loco's, but most have a tender. There is also a similar one lettered LNER in one of the catalogues and I suspect this may have been produced for more than one British Railroad in similar design but perhaps only found in a UK/Export catalogue.

Can anyone add anything about this item? My gut instinct based on the design etc leads me to think this may be an early 1920's model, but could easily be a decade later or possibly even earlier?

Oh and I should add that the owner of the display made it clear he had acquired the item many years ago on permanent loan from an elderly gent who has owned it for many years before that. I'm sure there will be speculation whether this is a fake or not, but somehow I highly doubt it.

P1030803.JPGP1030806.JPGP1030804.JPG
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#2 Posted : 09 June 2016 06:23:08(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
I personally find a few things I don't like about it but it might be right, it is not too far from this clockwork from 1930 and this catalogue makes no mention I can see about any very low voltage system, all power supplies seem to be 20v.P6090738.JPG
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Iamnotthecrazyone
Offline Pmare4  
#3 Posted : 09 June 2016 08:15:12(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
Hi Steve,

The loco was available in a 4v version lettered for the LNER. It was made by Marklin for the "Schwachstrombahn," or, in English, the "low voltage railway". One was sold here in 2007: https://www.liveauctione...in-tenderlok-t-3130-lner

The interesting thing is that the lining and the colour of both models is the same. If anything, I would guess that the loco was a special order, and so simply had different lettering applied.

Regards,

Peter.
Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Pmare4
Offline cookee_nz  
#4 Posted : 09 June 2016 09:43:39(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post
I personally find a few things I don't like about it but it might be right, it is not too far from this clockwork from 1930 and this catalogue makes no mention I can see about any very low voltage system, all power supplies seem to be 20v.

Just having a look at these as well.

Low voltage models are referred in the 1929 catalogue on page 49, the 1930 catalogue on page 54, in the 1932 catalogue on page 51. These models are some pages away from the other trains and easy to miss.

I don't have a 1931 catalogue to check.

It seems this has been a busy little loco, here's examples of the same loco as GWR and LNER. All are marked T3130.

Cheers

Steve

T3130-LNER.jpgT3130-GWR.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Markus Schild  
#5 Posted : 09 June 2016 14:36:34(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Steve,

I can't give exact production dates, but the loco is at least contained in the 1929 catalogue for Great Britain and the Commonwealth. Also as a part of a set. In these years British customers still had a large of choice of items which were not published in the "D"-catalogues for the continent. Continental sellers had also access to these products, but only on enquiry. There was not really a market for British models on the continent.

UserPostedImage

Complete page: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/bxel0r8r2of6gkm/1929.jpg

Edit: The so named "low current" locomotives were constructed to use with batteries or accumulators. Following the German Märklin - catalogue they were mainly intended for areas without electricity.

Regards

Markus

Edited by user 09 June 2016 18:12:27(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Markus Schild