Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Bates  
#1 Posted : 05 June 2016 11:07:52(UTC)
Bates

South Africa   
Hi everyone. Thanks for this forum. I have collected old and new marklin over the years and have a reasonable collection. The other day a relative gave me some marklin stuff that has been in his attic for years. Among the stuff is a locomotive SEW 800. I've serviced it and it runs well now. The body obviously has paint chips etc and 1 of the couplers is damaged. What I want to know is, is this a collectable item or valuable. I would prefer to swop it for a steam engine, but was interested to know if anyone can give me some idea if it is collectable. Thanks.
Offline cookee_nz  
#2 Posted : 05 June 2016 11:34:55(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Bates Go to Quoted Post
Hi everyone. Thanks for this forum. I have collected old and new marklin over the years and have a reasonable collection. The other day a relative gave me some marklin stuff that has been in his attic for years. Among the stuff is a locomotive SEW 800. I've serviced it and it runs well now. The body obviously has paint chips etc and 1 of the couplers is damaged. What I want to know is, is this a collectable item or valuable. I would prefer to swop it for a steam engine, but was interested to know if anyone can give me some idea if it is collectable. Thanks.

Generally that model would be considered collectible.

Damaged coupler not a biggie but the paint chips quite another matter. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'd be happy to have one in my collection.

A couple of photos would help assess the condition.

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Pmare4  
#3 Posted : 05 June 2016 11:59:12(UTC)
Pmare4

Australia   
I notice that Steve has already posted the answer to your question, but, in case you were wondering, my 2016 Kolls catalog puts the value of an excellent SEW 800 at €500 for versions 1 and 2 and €400 for version 3. The Kolls notes for these versions are as follows:

Version 2 does not have the lettering "Germany," but has a straight housing cutout for the manual reversing lever.

Version 3 has traction tires and type 6 pantographs.

Below is the 1953 catalog entry and picture for the SEW 800.

SEW 800 Description.PNG SEW 800 Picture.PNG

Peter
Peter
Collecting vintage Märklin from 1935-1970, also Hornby O Gauge
Offline Bates  
#4 Posted : 05 June 2016 12:59:33(UTC)
Bates

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Pmare4 Go to Quoted Post
I notice that Steve has already posted the answer to your question, but, in case you were wondering, my 2016 Kolls catalog puts the value of an excellent SEW 800 at €500 for versions 1 and 2 and €400 for version 3. The Kolls notes for these versions are as follows:

Version 2 does not have the lettering "Germany," but has a straight housing cutout for the manual reversing lever.

Version 3 has traction tires and type 6 pantographs.

Below is the 1953 catalog entry and picture for the SEW 800.

SEW 800 Description.PNG SEW 800 Picture.PNG

Peter

Thanks Peter for that useful info. My loco is the blue version, it does have traction tires and no 'Germany' lettering on the body, but the lettering 'Marklin' and '1101' plus underneath: made in Germany. It also has a straight cut out for the manual reverse lever. I am not sure what type 6 pantographs are though. I suppose the best thing would be for me to post a picture for you guys to see.

Offline Bates  
#5 Posted : 05 June 2016 13:01:26(UTC)
Bates

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Bates Go to Quoted Post

Generally that model would be considered collectible.

Damaged coupler not a biggie but the paint chips quite another matter. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I'd be happy to have one in my collection.

A couple of photos would help assess the condition.

Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply. I will post a few pics soon.

Offline GlennM  
#6 Posted : 05 June 2016 13:19:51(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Does it look like this?

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

If it does then it is an SEH800, there are several different models, IIRC correctly the least valuable version (according to Koll's) is the one with plastic gears (which can clearly be seen underneath), but unless it is badly damaged most are desirable to Marklin fans.

BR
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline Bates  
#7 Posted : 05 June 2016 20:14:22(UTC)
Bates

South Africa   
Marklin SEW 800 002.jpg
Marklin SEW 800 004.jpg

Edited by user 06 June 2016 20:11:00(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline Dave Banks  
#8 Posted : 05 June 2016 23:43:44(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
To give you a rough idea have a look at the asking price of these in Sydney Australia.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mark...%3D2%26sd%3D191831151936

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mark...71540:g:zHgAAOSwAuNW7ixq
D.A.Banks
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#9 Posted : 06 June 2016 04:28:46(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: DaveB Go to Quoted Post
To give you a rough idea have a look at the asking price of these in Sydney Australia.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mark...%3D2%26sd%3D191831151936

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mark...71540:g:zHgAAOSwAuNW7ixq

Asking price to selling price can differ quite a lot. If it was in stunning condition it could sell well because as was mentioned before it'll be a collectable one but not strictly rare. Average examples can be found between US$150-$200. Your front photo is not enough to see the condition but appears to be reasonable and an earlier version.