Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 25 April 2016 19:37:11(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have seen several reports of price increases. Some mentioning 01 May and some mentioning 01 June.
Does anybody have more precise information on when these price increases may occur?

Regards

Mike C
Offline steventrain  
#2 Posted : 25 April 2016 22:50:42(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I have seen several reports of price increases. Some mentioning 01 May and some mentioning 01 June.
Does anybody have more precise information on when these price increases may occur?

Regards

Mike C

Information from Stummi forum in Translation
Hello, for 06.01.2016 are for a large part of the products of the brands Märklin, Trix and LGB raises prices. Be This affects in particular the respective standard range (z. B. Marklin C and K track items are partially by approximately 10% more expensive) and some other products. Excluded from the price increase are to my knowledge the new products in 2016 and the MHI products.

Date in MM/DD/YYYY - It mean from 1 June 2016.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 8 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 26 April 2016 07:09:11(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
That was one of the posts that I had read. I had also received emails from a few dealers, one mentioning that orders received by 30.04.2016 would receive the current price and those after that date would be billed the higher price. I think that Maerklin is shooting themselves in the foot, since many people are on a tighter budget than they were before and this will mean reduced sales. Matter of fact, reducing prices would increase overseas sales and might be more beneficial than a 10% increase worldwide.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline kiwiAlan  
#4 Posted : 27 April 2016 13:41:15(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
I think that Maerklin is shooting themselves in the foot, since many people are on a tighter budget than they were before and this will mean reduced sales. Matter of fact, reducing prices would increase overseas sales and might be more beneficial than a 10% increase worldwide.

Well, when do you suggest they increase prices? They need to give their workforce pay rises just like the rest of us, and they have material price increases. So do you expect them to sell items at a loss?

Reducing prices only works if you are still producing a working profit after the price reduction. This doesn't work when the base reason for the price increases is material prices increasing. If you then reduce prices and sell more you just make a bigger loss. Mentioned are prices for long term catalogue items like track, which is understandable. The cost of the plastic and metal raw materials do fluctuate.

As to the 2016 new items, it is understandable that they have built the effective price increase into them before announcing them, hence they do not need an increase just after they are announced.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 27 April 2016 14:49:38(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Reducing prices only works if you are still producing a working profit after the price reduction.
Maybe strike "still". A lower price may become profitable if the volume of sales increases significantly.

A few years ago Germany increased the tax on tobacco products - and the total income from tobacco tax went down.
And I think tobacco is more addictive than MRR.

Higher wages, higher material costs, higher exchange rates will sooner or later lead to higher prices. And such a situation may not allow lower prices.
But higher prices will not always lead to higher turnover.

Roco reduced the prices for some items last year. I hope it worked for them.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline kimballthurlow  
#6 Posted : 30 April 2016 01:44:26(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
According to Modellbahnshop Lippe, Liliput have decreased their prices by up to 30% across the board, as of April 2016.
Opposite direction to Maerklin.
Then again, all of Liliput production comes out of China (from what I understand).

Unless I am reading it wrong.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 30 April 2016 08:36:05(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
According to Modellbahnshop Lippe, Liliput have decreased their prices by up to 30% across the board, as of April 2016.
Opposite direction to Maerklin.
Then again, all of Liliput production comes out of China (from what I understand).
Well, with Märklin not all the production is from China.

But serious: Liliput have been asking €100 for a two-axle H0 freight car. At that price many potential customers will say "I don't need that now".
Sometimes higher prices lead to lower profits. And recently Liliput prices went through the roof.
I didn't even check their new items brochure - with such lunatic prices they won't get any money from me.
If they really lower their prices up to 30% then I may have to look through their brochures ...
... but I won't spend €70 for a two-axle freight car either - I don't need that now.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Steveh  
#8 Posted : 05 May 2016 11:17:02(UTC)
Steveh

Hmmmm, with zero inflation, and commodities taking a bath I don't see any real reason to increase pricing at all. How many of us have had wage increases in today's market.? I would of thought that cost of sales should have reduced , not increased. With slow economic growth globally, increasing your pricing is only likely to decrease sales further. Maybe a 1-2 %increase if really necessary but not 10%. Where did that come from?
Life without model trains is not worth living...!!! (Don't tell my wife..!)
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 05 May 2016 13:11:07(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Steveh Go to Quoted Post
Maybe a 1-2 %increase if really necessary but not 10%. Where did that come from?
Dealer MMC writes 10% on their site (German):
http://modellbahncenter....m/2016_news_termine.html

Not all prices will be increased, not all increases will be 10%.
If you order now you may find that the parts you ordered were not affected by the price increase.

No inflation? But wages rise, exchange rates change, prices for raw materials vary - and sales recline, leading to higher unit costs.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Mark_1602  
#10 Posted : 05 May 2016 15:30:14(UTC)
Mark_1602

Luxembourg   
Originally Posted by: Steveh Go to Quoted Post
I don't see any real reason to increase pricing at all.

Hi,

Maybe this price increase, which appears to focus on tracks, is needed to finance the huge cost of developing the new turnouts which customers have wanted for many years. Most people will not buy those because they have either finished their layouts or planned them whith R1/R2 curves due to lack of space, so it's unlikely that Märklin will recoup the huge investment through sales. A general price increase on tracks would help, though that's only my guess.

Best regards,

Mark
Best regards, Mark

I like Märklin items produced in the 1960s or early '70s, but also digital locos & current rolling stock.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Mark_1602
Offline applor  
#11 Posted : 06 May 2016 00:08:20(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Ah you gotta be kidding me - just as I am finalizing my layout and getting ready to place a massive order for track.

If this 10% price raise is correct, it will cost me another 350 euro or so. Cursing

Looking at lokshop, their price for 2205 is 9,80 euro (inc VAT) - is that the new price or the old?

If not I think maybe I should place my first order today!

As for development costs, Marklin have not added anything to K track for years! C track get new wide radius curved switches, K track don't.
modelling era IIIa (1951-1955) Germany
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline Roberto Romano  
#12 Posted : 06 May 2016 05:47:38(UTC)
Roberto Romano

There are several ways to reduce costs and thus prices, one is increasing productivity. We already have seen the introduction of "plastic" and other cheap materials as a means to reduce costs, then pass the savings to the consumer, not to the producer. With lower prices sales will increase!
Regards, Roberto
Offline Roland  
#13 Posted : 06 May 2016 06:04:58(UTC)
Roland

Canada   
Originally Posted by: applor Go to Quoted Post
Ah you gotta be kidding me - just as I am finalizing my layout and getting ready to place a massive order for track.

If this 10% price raise is correct, it will cost me another 350 euro or so. Cursing

Looking at lokshop, their price for 2205 is 9,80 euro (inc VAT) - is that the new price or the old?

If not I think maybe I should place my first order today!

As for development costs, Marklin have not added anything to K track for years! C track get new wide radius curved switches, K track don't.

The price increase is effective June 1 2016 so you still have a few weeks. But best to confirm with your local dealer when their ordering deadline for current pricing is.
My Layout Build | Märklin CS3+ | K-track | Merkur | Viessmann | LDT | iTrain | Modeling DB + SBB
Offline Goofy  
#14 Posted : 06 May 2016 11:15:16(UTC)
Goofy

New models did present now by of local dealer with the prices.
It seems not higher prices than of the old models.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline steventrain  
#15 Posted : 06 May 2016 13:04:52(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   

RRP 13.99 EUR each as 1 January, Approx 15.38 EUR from 1 June 2016.

Lokshop may rise to approx 10.78 EUR from 1 June I guess so.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline dominator  
#16 Posted : 07 May 2016 02:16:59(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
Applor, looks like you are going to spend 3500.00 euro. If the dealer isn't prepared to give you 25% DISCOUNT ON AN ORDER THAT SIZE GO SOME WHERE ELSE. While in Edinbugh 35 years ago I thought I would inquire about buying a Crocodile. The dealer accidentally showed me his buy price sheet. When I saw the 100% markup, I suggested he give me a discount on the purchase as he never had to hold it in stock. I ended up keeping my money in my pocket.

Lets face it. Marklin has never been cheap. And looking at values now, it certainly isn't a good investment. Its a hobby after all.

Steveh, Yes we have had the shite kicked out of us here in NZ over the last 8 or so years.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by dominator
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#17 Posted : 07 May 2016 02:51:14(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
Applor, looks like you are going to spend 3500.00 euro. If the dealer isn't prepared to give you 25% DISCOUNT ON AN ORDER THAT SIZE GO SOME WHERE ELSE. While in Edinbugh 35 years ago I thought I would inquire about buying a Crocodile. The dealer accidentally showed me his buy price sheet. When I saw the 100% markup, I suggested he give me a discount on the purchase as he never had to hold it in stock. I ended up keeping my money in my pocket.

Lets face it. Marklin has never been cheap. And looking at values now, it certainly isn't a good investment. Its a hobby after all.

Steveh, Yes we have had the shite kicked out of us here in NZ over the last 8 or so years.

Dereck

I think the way things are these days you won't see many dealers adding a 100% mark up on Marklin, a 25% discount while possible might be unthinkable unless it is something they need to get rid off for some specific reason. The costs of running a shop are outrageous and they just keep closing down all over the world by giving that kind of discounts they won't last very long as they might make more money and have less hassle investing all that money somewhere else.
Offline applor  
#18 Posted : 07 May 2016 03:20:01(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Massive shops like lokshop already offer the best prices around and don't move on price. Smaller dealers with higher margins may be able to offer a discount but still dearer than lokshop.

I also have to split my purchase over 4 orders to avoid GST on the $1000 threshold.
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 07 May 2016 09:22:58(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post
I think the way things are these days you won't see many dealers adding a 100% mark up on Marklin, a 25% discount while possible might be unthinkable unless it is something they need to get rid off for some specific reason.
Many web shops give 25% (pre-order) discount on regular Märklin items - but often you have to log in to see more than 10%.
My latest M* order consisted of 24360 tracks at €4.02 per piece - RRP is € 5.99 with makes a nice 32% discount.

If the price for 24360 does not increase next month then maybe I ordered too early ...
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Iamnotthecrazyone  
#20 Posted : 07 May 2016 09:47:33(UTC)
Iamnotthecrazyone

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Iamnotthecrazyone Go to Quoted Post
I think the way things are these days you won't see many dealers adding a 100% mark up on Marklin, a 25% discount while possible might be unthinkable unless it is something they need to get rid off for some specific reason.
Many web shops give 25% (pre-order) discount on regular Märklin items - but often you have to log in to see more than 10%.
My latest M* order consisted of 24360 tracks at €4.02 per piece - RRP is € 5.99 with makes a nice 32% discount.

If the price for 24360 does not increase next month then maybe I ordered too early ...

I am surprised at such discount but then at the RRP seems really expensive to start with to me just for a piece of track. I must said other than some second hand M points I haven't bought for a few years C track so I am probably out of touch with the cost, if that is what cost in Europe in Australia must be like 7 to 8 Euros per pieceCursing I'm glad I am not planning to buy any right now.

Offline Bigdaddynz  
#21 Posted : 07 May 2016 12:49:49(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I also have to split my purchase over 4 orders to avoid GST on the $1000 threshold.

Do it before the $1000 limit gets removed. Here in NZ there is talk of removing our $400 limit because of the TPP agreement - NZ and Aussie have 2 of the highest tax free import limits worldwide, other countries have $20 if anything.
Offline MalinAC  
#22 Posted : 07 May 2016 14:20:07(UTC)
MalinAC

Ireland   
Only 150 euro in Ireland Mad Mad
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by MalinAC
Offline kiwiAlan  
#23 Posted : 07 May 2016 16:32:03(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: dominator Go to Quoted Post
While in Edinbugh 35 years ago I thought I would inquire about buying a Crocodile. The dealer accidentally showed me his buy price sheet. When I saw the 100% markup, I suggested he give me a discount on the purchase as he never had to hold it in stock. I ended up keeping my money in my pocket.

This shows a lack of knowledge of the costs of running a street front store in the UK. I have commented on this in another thread where Glenn was looking at the interest in having a true store front in the UK. The costs of renting premises on its own is crippling.

Offline Rwill  
#24 Posted : 07 May 2016 20:50:31(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
I am a bit lost on this thread.

So Lokshop will sell you a bit of track 2205 at a 30% discount to list 9.8euros from 13.99 euros. For a massive order they may give you a little extra bonus. You then want to take off the German VAT and bring it in under the import tax threshold - ho ho well done.

But lets not moan about price increases. Its possible dealers holding pre bought stock will likely hold the price until they reorder. Marklin make luxury goods, they can decide how to pitch the level of prices in their market place. Wage inflation in Hungary or your pensions have no bearing on that decision. If they get it very wrong they go bust again, if they get it right they grow stronger and invest in new products and technologies. I can live with that and make my choices on a piece by piece basis.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Rwill
Offline applor  
#25 Posted : 17 May 2016 11:01:21(UTC)
applor

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

Do it before the $1000 limit gets removed. Here in NZ there is talk of removing our $400 limit because of the TPP agreement - NZ and Aussie have 2 of the highest tax free import limits worldwide, other countries have $20 if anything.

Yeah there is no rush on this, doesn't take effect until July next year. When it is changed there will be no tax free threshold though, so I will want to have ordered as much as possible.

I wonder, does the 10% price increase also effect track accessories such as point switches?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by applor
Offline mike c  
#26 Posted : 17 May 2016 19:37:15(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Model Train companies (including Maerklin) are announcing price increases. It is expected that model train companies will raise their prices between 5 and 10% during the course of the year.

The reality is that many model railroaders are getting older in age and many of them are living on retirement incomes or have seen their budget for the hobby reduced as other costs of living have increased.

If the industry wishes to keep it's existing customers, it will have to bear this in mind when coming up with a pricing structure. The average price of a Maerklin system locomotive has gone from around 200 EUR in 2001 to just around 300 EUR today. There is a risk that at a certain point, the increases will surpass the average customer's ability to afford the hobby.

I used to be able to budget a few locomotives and a number of cars/coaches each year, but as my belt tightens and the prices keep going up, this becomes less in quantity each year. What began a few years back as entry level models at EUR 60 to 80 are now selling at 120 to 180. There is something wrong when the industry believes that people will pay full feature prices for a basic model, even if they have added a bell and a whistle.

The industry needs to find a way to make a quality product while keeping costs down and to keep the hobby within the purchasing power of it's customers. If it can find a way to do that, the amount spent (relative) per customer might actually increase and this would be good for both modeller and manufacturer.

Just two cents out of my five cents (that's all I can afford at the moment)

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Harryv40  
#27 Posted : 19 May 2016 12:25:39(UTC)
Harryv40

United Kingdom   
The real problem for Marklin is quality. The main strap line is quality and detail, but with the use of Chinese manufacturers, true or not is lower quality, therefore people will not pay high prices for lower quality items.

I have just got back into model, August last year, after a number of years out. I try to find value for money and then measure the level of quality.

The price increases are either good to highlight the quality or bad if individuals see higher prices with lower quality.

That's my 2 cents worth!

Harry
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Harryv40
Offline steventrain  
#28 Posted : 01 June 2016 17:59:59(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Some Locos/rolling stock price increase included all Eurofima Coaches!

Locos

36243 – 199,99 € (189,99 €).
36623 – 219,99 € (199,99 €).
37200 – 329,99 € (299,99 €).
37202 – 329,99 € (299,99 €).
37206 – 329,99 € (299,99 €).
37207 – 329,99 € (299,99 €).
37338 – 329,99 € (299,99 €).
37835 – 449,99 € (429,99 €).
39566 – 469,99 € (459,99 €).

Rolling stock

41310 – 49,99 € (47,99 €).
41320 – 49,99 € (47,99 €).
41323 – 49,99 € (47,99 €).
41330 – 49,99 € (47,99 €).
41731 – 229,99 € (219,99 €).
42730 – 52,99 € (49,99 €).
42910 – 52,99 € (49,99 €).
43280 – 52,99 € (49,99 €).
43340 – 52,99 € (49,99 €).
43510 – 52,99 € (49,99 €).
43520 – 52,99 € (49,99 €).
43610 – 52,99 € (49,99 €).
43804 – 52,99 € (49,99 €).
43814 – 52,99 € (49,99 €).
43834 – 84,99 € (79,99 €).
43875 – 52,99 € (49,99 €).
44752 – 89,99 € (84,99 €).
45706 – 134,99 € (119,99 €)
4661 – 32,99 € (29,99 €).
47342 – 34,99 € (32,99 €).
47404 – 57,99 € (56,99 €).
48025 – 34,99 € (32,99 €).
48056 – 44,99 € (39,99 €).
48759 – 32,99 € (29,99 €).
48881 – 32,99 € (29,99 €).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline applor  
#29 Posted : 02 June 2016 00:40:26(UTC)
applor

Australia   
I noticed that Lokshop increased their track prices on the 31st May, as expected.

Model Fischer on the other hand still have not raised their prices yet.
Offline H0  
#30 Posted : 07 June 2016 16:46:35(UTC)
H0

On the Märklin website you can find the new price list as PDF:
http://www.maerklin.de/f...Maerklin_ab_1.6.2016.pdf

If the link does not work, please copy the URL to the address field of your browser.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#31 Posted : 08 June 2016 00:09:59(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Harryv40 Go to Quoted Post
..... but with the use of Chinese manufacturers

I was under the understanding that Marklin no longer used Chinese manufacturers - certainly locos are made in either Gyor or Göppingen. I don't know about rolling stock, but I believe most of those are made in house by Marklin. Marklin hasn't been using Chinese manufacturers on any large scale for some time. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Therefore the above comment becomes nonsense as it doesn't apply.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline petestra  
#32 Posted : 08 June 2016 00:47:26(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: Harryv40 Go to Quoted Post
..... but with the use of Chinese manufacturers

I was under the understanding that Marklin no longer used Chinese manufacturers - certainly locos are made in either Gyor or Göppingen. I don't know about rolling stock, but I believe most of those are made in house by Marklin. Marklin hasn't been using Chinese manufacturers on any large scale for some time. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Therefore the above comment becomes nonsense as it doesn't apply.

Yes, I thought this to. I thought Loks were all still made in Goeppingen and rolling stock in Gyor?

Peter.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#33 Posted : 08 June 2016 00:53:31(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I think some H0 locos are made in Gyor, more specialised locos are made in Göppingen as Göppingen specialise in die casting.

I know that most of the Gauge 1 locos are made in Gyor.
Offline dominator  
#34 Posted : 08 June 2016 04:18:10(UTC)
dominator

New Zealand   
A note to Kiwi Allan
35 years ago I didn't own a street front store in NZ. I Do now. I did when I wrote that comment. I stand by what I said. Shit we have been in a financial depression for over 8 years and we are starting to climb out of it now. There has been no real inflation in NZ over that time, but prices are rising, our costs are going up but our income is not changing to keep up. We understand the Aussies are going to get the shit kicked out of them from now on because of the "crisis". Who knows.

No Offence intended.

Dereck
Northland. NZ REMEMBER 0228 for ä
Offline H0  
#35 Posted : 08 June 2016 06:51:58(UTC)
H0

I was under the understanding that Marklin no longer used Chinese manufacturers - certainly locos are made in either Gyor or Göppingen.
Oh no, not that brain washing again.
Recent China locos include the bay S 2/6 and the BR 24 #36243.

This thread is about the recent price increase.
Märklin still sell rolling stock (incl. locos) made in China, but we have a dedicated thread about that:
https://www.marklin-user...made-in-China#post482783
Non-rolling stock is also coming from Far East ...
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#36 Posted : 08 June 2016 11:44:33(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Oh no, not that brain washing again.....

Well your brain might be washed but there was no intention on my part to brainwash anyone, so I'm not sure where you're coming from. Yes, I forgot about the S 2/6 (and I didn't know about the BR24) but since most of the information regarding Marklin manufacturing or not manufacturing in China came from you, I knew you would respond sooner or later.... Also two locos made in China doesn't mean all are made there (very few it seems if those two are the only examples you have), so to say Marklin locos are of lower quality because they are made in China isn't borne out by the apparent evidence.

This thread is about the recent price increase.

Yes I know that, but the question of Chinese manufacturing came up in this thread so I responded here.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

I guess I should be careful in what I wish for......(off to wash my brain now!)