Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline artfull dodger  
#1 Posted : 17 March 2016 02:51:11(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
I have been trying out a used Unlenbrock digital controler set up, basicly similar to the older Marklin Systems set up. However my new starter set came with a Moble Station 2. What does everybody else think? The new layout track plan is for a mostly single train operation, although 2 could operate if a second moble station was added. The second one being a shunting engine. I am now thinking the Unlenbrock set up is massive overkill. mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by artfull dodger
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 17 March 2016 07:55:36(UTC)
H0

Hi, Mike!
Originally Posted by: artfull dodger Go to Quoted Post
What does everybody else think?
I don't give a dang 'bout what anybody else thinks.

I am now thinking the Unlenbrock set up is massive overkill.
When a new loco arrives, I use my Uhlenbrock for a quick test and usually also fir the initial programming.
I use a CS1R for my layout - but the Uhlenbrock is ready to use after just a few seconds and it has a physical keyboard that makes many things easier, so I still use it for my test and programming track.

MS2 is a nice lightweight controller that can easily be taken to club meetings, but I wouldn't use it for my main layout at home if I had an Intellibox at hand.

Others will tell you that the MS2 is a better choice because it is newer and has mfx. And in the end it is your decision.
The MS2 has advantages when you buy new Märklin locos. The IB has advantages when you buy non-Märklin locos (ESU, Roco, Fleischmann, Piko, Brawe, ...).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline kgsjoqvist  
#3 Posted : 17 March 2016 10:59:33(UTC)
kgsjoqvist

Sweden   
I have been trying out a used Unlenbrock digital controler set up, basicly similar to the older Marklin Systems set up. However my new starter set came with a Moble Station 2. What does everybody else think? The new layout track plan is for a mostly single train operation, although 2 could operate if a second moble station was added. The second one being a shunting engine. I am now thinking the Unlenbrock set up is massive overkill. mike

The Uhlenbrock (Intellibox ?) has one big advantage, and that is connectivity. You can axpand it with all kinds of devices that support LocoNet.

Mobile Station 2 is easy to use and probably all you need in a small layout.
K-G / H0 and Z model train user
Offline Rwill  
#4 Posted : 17 March 2016 12:27:02(UTC)
Rwill

United Kingdom   
The new layout track plan is for a mostly single train operation, although 2 could operate if a second moble station was added. The second one being a shunting engine. mike

You are surely not thinking a second MS2 is needed for a second engine?

Offline artfull dodger  
#5 Posted : 17 March 2016 23:10:42(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
No, was thinking a second MS2 for a second operator. I will most likely stay with the Intellibox set up. I like how it looks, the class 24 runs ok with it. I will probably use the MS2 on a section of track on my work bench for testing engines. I have the add on turnout/signal controler from Unlenbrock as well. I had planned to put decoders/turnout motors in all the turnouts so they also could be changed digitaly, along with any signals. Mike
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!