Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Harvey  
#1 Posted : 16 March 2016 02:28:30(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Hi

Setting up my layout after 1 year hiatus. In process of debugging a strange problem is occurring and hoping for ideas.

I use a CS2 to power the freight line and a 6017 booster to power K83 (switches) and K84 blocks. The booster activates the K84 but the CS2 sends power to the block. I have run a loc to confirm no shorts. When I connected the K83 and K84 to the booster and then the booster to the CS2 the following would occur.
1. I activate turn out (TO) 1 and it worked. Then, with no action on my part, TO 2 would activate and then # 6 would activate (nothing assigned there but I can see on the CS2 keyboard screen the red dot move up and down). The K84 would also 'activate' the red dot would move or the current would turn on for various blocks (where this was assigned). In my prior layout, I had assigned TO to keyboard elements 1-28 and block controls (K84) 29-36. I have deleted all these and reassigned 1-4 and block control to 29-32.
2. I disconnected the K83 and K84 (fed no current) and the above did not occur
3. I reconnected the K84 and it seems (want to retest) the above did not occur.
4. I disconnected the K84 and reconnected the K83. At first I only connected TO 3 and 4 and above seemed not to occur.
5. Reconnected TO1 and 2 and above occurred again.
Conclusion: inconclusive but something with the K83 (wiring) is causing this random switching.

After I redo stes 2-5 I will trace wiring to the K83.

Appreciate other suggestions.

Regards
Harvey
Offline clapcott  
#2 Posted : 16 March 2016 05:30:43(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
If the screen icons are changing then they are being told to change.

This is probably related to some S88 activity - do you have S88s and sensors?
However, the symptom combination with the k83 would also suggest that you have a floating or upside down ground return which the s88 is being spooked by.
Check the wiring in this area.

Peter
Offline Harvey  
#3 Posted : 16 March 2016 14:03:18(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Originally Posted by: clapcott Go to Quoted Post
If the screen icons are changing then they are being told to change.

This is probably related to some S88 activity - do you have S88s and sensors?
However, the symptom combination with the k83 would also suggest that you have a floating or upside down ground return which the s88 is being spooked by.
Check the wiring in this area.

Peter

Thanks for the suggestions. I have not yet connected the S88, though plan to. I have deleted some of my prior memory entries (have quite a few from my prior hidden yards). So, will delete the rest and retest. Not sure what you mean by floating or upside down ground return (the T?).

In further testing last night, I found Keyboard TO1 and TO3 create the odd activity in the CS2 but not TO 2 and TO4. Not sure if this suggests a damaged K83 but I will test that as well by replacing with another K83.

Will be travelling for a few days and will test further on Monday

Regards
Harvey
Offline Harvey  
#4 Posted : 16 March 2016 18:29:44(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Update:

I deleted the remaining memory assignments from my prior layout. Then reconnected TO1 and 3 to the K83. No problems. So, conclusion is that the CS2 was searching for items loaded in memory, could not find and was causing some commands to execute (likely not exact explanation but ...). Causes me to think those people who (will) bring their CS3+ to a club, won't they experience something similar?

Well, my work continues next week.

Regards
Harvey
Offline clapcott  
#5 Posted : 17 March 2016 21:07:52(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Harvey Go to Quoted Post
.... So, conclusion is that the CS2 was searching for items loaded in memory,...

Exactly! The question is why.

Yes it is possible that the s88 support logic inside the CS2 is fault, however it is far more common for an external event/wiring to be the cause.

You state "... I have not yet connected the S88 ..."

Can you be specific and complete with this answer.
a) is a s88 connected to your CS
a i) are there loose aerials - wires connected to the ports but not connected to the layout
a ii) is the grey cable connected correctly
a iii) is there a ground return connection plugged in, AND which power boundary is it connected to - ensure it is the Brown and not the red
a iv) is the grey cable damaged.

Have you set up a layout page with all your sensors added for debug purposes
Peter
Offline Harvey  
#6 Posted : 22 March 2016 02:22:47(UTC)
Harvey

United States   
Peter

Currently, my S88's are sitting in their boxes. I have installed (just screwed down) several reeds but the grey wires are just hanging under the table. I decided to relocate my K83s and so redid the wiring. I have installed 9 turn outs and the gremlin has not returned. I test each TO after it is installed. So far 9 TO installed and 8 blocks (8 storage sections in hidden yards controlled by K84s) and no problems.

I anticipate installing 3 more TOs and then test the track in the freight hidden yard, lower level By then, I should receive the L88. I also have 2 older S88's (60880) which I will connect to the L88. Still much work left in constructing the middle level (passenger hidden yard) and upper level.

I have not yet populated the layout page - currently just marking my paper copy with location of TO (and CS2 assignment and location of reeds.

Peter, you answered many of my questions over the years - really appreciate your help.

Regards
Harvey
Offline clapcott  
#7 Posted : 22 March 2016 04:11:29(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
OK, so no external s88 triggers,

Had you ever set up a Locomotive function to link to a Route?

If you have access to your CS2 over the network you could look at the http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/config/lokomotive.cs2 file with your browser and search for "..fs="
Peter