Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ParisTsirchoglou  
#1 Posted : 22 February 2016 09:13:49(UTC)
ParisTsirchoglou

Greece   
Hello Everybody.

Could I please ask, if combining Marklin locos with Brawa wagons on C track (with a MS2 - but I think this is irrelevant) creates any problems?

I understand that the Brawa wheels have to be replaced first (from DC to AC - should't be difficult - right?). What about the couplers? Should we also replace them with Marklin couplers?

I don't remember where I saw it, but I think I saw a picture, suggesting a height difference problem on the couplers, between a loco and a wagon of different manufactures. Is there such a possibility on Marklin + Brawa combinations?

Too many questions ... I know.

All your replies and knowledge though, will be extremely helpful and appreciated!!!

Kind Regards

Paris
Era I and Era II German and Swiss Steamers and E-Loks. Proud owner of a Challenger (-;
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 22 February 2016 09:22:37(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Paris,

The main incompatibility is in the buffer heights. Marklin buffers are a millimetre or so higher than other manufacturers. If you replace the couplers for Marklin close couplers you run the risk of the coupler tops hitting the bottom of the Brawa buffers on curves causing derailment. If you stick to the standard NEM coupler this won't happen.

The wheels may or may not need to be replaced, depending on individual wagons characteristics. Long wheelbase 4 wheel wagons will almost certainly need to have their wheels replaced. Short wheelbase bogies are generally OK. Also replace the wheels if you need the electrical continuity between them, or alternatively short out the insulation with some conductive paint.

On some types of wheelsets it is possible to adjust the wheel spacing to be correct for 3 rail standards, but be aware that the low height of the wheel flange might still cause problems.

Hope this helps.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline SNAFU  
#3 Posted : 22 February 2016 09:35:36(UTC)
SNAFU

Australia   
Hi Paris

I had AC wheels put on by the dealer when I purchased a BRAWA wagon set. I changed the couplers myself with marklin ones.
I have no problems.
Tony
Curiosity hasn't killed this cat yet.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by SNAFU
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 22 February 2016 10:09:59(UTC)
H0

Hi, Paris!
Originally Posted by: ParisTsirchoglou Go to Quoted Post
I don't remember where I saw it, but I think I saw a picture, suggesting a height difference problem on the couplers, between a loco and a wagon of different manufactures.
All my Brawa cars still have the original DC wheel sets.
I use Roco couplers with the Brawa rolling stock. Märklin items coupled to non-Märklin items may also need non-Märklin couplers.
This depends a lot on the length and construction of the rolling stock. Short two-axle cars may work fine with Märklin couplers, but long coaches and long freight cars may give you trouble.

See also (maybe that's where you saw the picture):
http://blog.mailez.de/eb...-couplers-for-h0-models/
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline ParisTsirchoglou  
#5 Posted : 22 February 2016 12:08:12(UTC)
ParisTsirchoglou

Greece   
Ray, Tony, Tom, thank you so much for your replies.

I think I will give it a go then. There are so many gorgeous looking Era II Beer wagons and Tank wagons on the Brawa line!!!

Cheers

Paris
Era I and Era II German and Swiss Steamers and E-Loks. Proud owner of a Challenger (-;
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ParisTsirchoglou
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 22 February 2016 12:12:25(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: ParisTsirchoglou Go to Quoted Post
Ray, Tony, Tom, thank you so much for your replies.

I think I will give it a go then. There are so many gorgeous looking Era II Beer wagons and Tank wagons on the Brawa line!!!

Cheers

Paris

Agreed! I have a couple of Brawa locos, but so far none of the wagons. I need to put that right! BigGrin
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF