Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Minok  
#1 Posted : 17 February 2016 06:47:55(UTC)
Minok

United States   
So I'm starting out and building my freight car supply, primarily picking cars for the brands and brand logs of the era. Not paying any attention to the product line.

One of the tank cars I ordered is a "my world" tank car (Aral) #4440.
One of the tank cars is the normal Märklin boxed tank car (Esso) #4441.

The "my world" stuff marked and targeted at ages 4+ (vs the 15+ of the more serious main brand line)... but whats the difference between the two tank cars in theory?

Just the colors?

Both cars seem to be the same detail as far as I can tell. Both have metal wheels.

I chose the Aral tanker car I did because of the blue tank - more prominent branding appearance -> more visually interesting fun in the switching yard later on. (vs other Aral tank cars having a silver body with just the logo sign being blue.
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 17 February 2016 07:57:24(UTC)
H0

Hi!

Difference is just the colour. Times are changing. There was a time when entry-level models belonged to the Hobby programme and could be recognized by the colour of the bar on the box.
Then came the MyWorld programme. Parts of the MyWorld programme were moved to the StartUp programme. New names, new boxes, same moulds.

Changing legal requirements can lead to different age declarations.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#3 Posted : 17 February 2016 08:23:52(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The Hobby, My World and some other basic models come with the old hook coupler, while the newer cars come with close coupling shaft, NEM socket and close coupler. If you want to have realistic buffer to buffer operation, try to assemble consists made up only of the newer models. The older cars leave a greater distance between cars as a result of the older couplers.

The current basic level models (or variants) existed in previous years as normal models before features like close couplers were introduced.

Regards

Mike C
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 17 February 2016 10:30:46(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Marklin have always had two levels of standard for their freight cars. Since the 1980s the cheaper, more basic wagons are in the 44xx(x) series, and the more accurate models are in the 46xx(x) series.

The 44xx series were preceded by the 45xx series which mostly had tinplate chassis and bodies with minimal detail, although the American range of wagons in recent times have sometimes also used 45xxx. All current 44xxx wagons have Relex couplers.

As the numbers have been used up in the 46xxx they have moved on to 47xxx and 48xxx numbers for the higher quality wagons. All of these, from the 1990s onwards, have been fitted with close couplers

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Minok  
#5 Posted : 17 February 2016 20:01:55(UTC)
Minok

United States   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Marklin have always had two levels of standard for their freight cars. Since the 1980s the cheaper, more basic wagons are in the 44xx(x) series, and the more accurate models are in the 46xx(x) series.

The 4440 and 4441, boxed as Märklin (old blue box) and Märklin my world (white/orange modern box) look of the same detail, and I'm good with them as is; so no worries. They not have hook couplers, so things are good;

The newer 4756 type cars or even the 4650, those may be classified as more accurate to the real cars, but I'm fine with the shorter ones. Longer tank cars take up more space so I like the shorter aspect of the ones I have as well. I may look at getting a 4646 just to see the differences vs the 4440

IMG_4209.JPG
Toys of tin and wood rule!
---
My Layout Thread on marklin-users.net: InterCity 1-3-4
My YouTube Channel:
https://youtube.com/@intercity134
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Minok
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 17 February 2016 20:12:32(UTC)
H0

Both 4440 and 4441 appeared in the catalogue in 1977. 4440 is still in the catalogue, 4441 was in it until 2010/2011.
So old versions of these cars will have "Made in Germany" or "Made in Western Germany" engraved at the bottom. If your cars have no engraved "Made in ..." they will be from this century.

The boxes should have a print code that indicates month and year of printing. In over 30 years those cars will have come in several different boxes.

Rolling stock with four-digit ref. numbers appeared in the catalogue before 1996. There are not many of those "dinosaurs" left.

Update: 4440 had a silver tank in the 1977 catalogue (it looks silver, but could also be light grey), in later years it had a white tank, and finally in the second half of the '80s it had a blue tank.
Three different liveries for the same ref. number.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 17 February 2016 20:21:43(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I also prefer the shorter tank wagons as I can get more of them into a short siding.

I mix the 44xx types with other similar cars of slightly different design for a bit of variety, such as:

UserPostedImage

4854x and 4642x
UserPostedImage

or the older design
UserPostedImage

or even older 46426:
UserPostedImage
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF