Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kimballthurlow  
#1 Posted : 13 February 2016 03:59:59(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
48165 was the Insider car produced by Marklin for 2015.

First off, I noticed that this car has metal buffers on each end, which are machine turned.
The left buffer in the photo has a convex face, and the right side a flat face.
I think the metal is unusual, as most of my Marklin cars have plastic buffers.
It reminds me of the screw-in metal buffers supplied with the 1950s Fleischmann wagons.

UserPostedImage

This first photo is my own, and the second is the Marklin official photo.
I think this car has been very carefully prepared for Inside members.
It has extremely fine black paint-on detail, such as door locks and hand rails, and the printing process is striking.
The road number is 564660, and the print on the sole bar says it was last serviced on 12.02.1958.
Kinematic close couplings, and blackened wheels and axles are things we now take for granted.
It runs very smoothly and freely, and looks great in a late 1950s freight train.

UserPostedImage

When I get a car like this, it makes me feel that the Insider membership is quite sensible.
Marklin have also produced this car in its original form as a milk car (both flat and round roofs), in item numbers 48815 and 48817.
2 of the cars were included with a nice set #48816, representing the late 1950s.
The series was built from 1908 for carrying milk cans, and was designed for consist with passenger trains.

regards
Kimball

Edited by user 15 February 2016 01:20:26(UTC)  | Reason: added last two sentences

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Online H0  
#2 Posted : 13 February 2016 08:14:56(UTC)
H0

Hi, Kimball,
Thanks for the review.
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
The left buffer in the photo has a convex face, and the right side a flat face.
That's prototypically correct.

I think the metal is unusual, as most of my Marklin cars have plastic buffers.
I do not always examine the material, but I noticed rusty buffers on several Märklin coaches. I don't have a statistic how usual or unusual this is.

When I get a car like this, it makes me feel that the Insider membership is quite sensible.
I left the club about 16 months ago, so I didn't get this car. Still I could buy it for less than 50% of the annual membership fee if I wanted.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Glen  
#3 Posted : 13 February 2016 11:06:25(UTC)
Glen

New Zealand   
Thanks for your review Kimball - I only received mine recently, and haven't taken the time to look at it closely. Your comments have certainty made me want to have a good look at it.

Regards

Glen
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Glen