Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline grahame  
#1 Posted : 06 October 2014 03:22:21(UTC)
grahame

United States   
While waiting for Marklin to hopefully do a warranty repair on my BR89 (it's been a really long time but I feel I really had no other choice) I decided to keep a look out for the other "starter" loco. After seeing many at crazy high prices I eventually found a nice, test run example which had a minor paint problem:

UserPostedImage

I managed to get it for $41, which I think was a real bargain. When it came I was very pleased to see that it ran beautifully even at very low voltages (3-4) and did not generate any significant heat at all, unlike my BR89. I carefully masked it off and resprayed the roof silver. I am very pleased with the result and it is running nicely without anything needed so far:

UserPostedImage

The photo has slightly accentuated the grainy appearance, it does not look quite like this in real life.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by grahame
Offline ozzman  
#2 Posted : 06 October 2014 08:27:06(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Hi Grahame. Congratulations on your paint job, and on getting a good 8864. To quote an old saying, when they're good they're very very good, and when they're bad they're wicked. As far as I'm aware, most of them are at least OK.

The paint peeling from the roof is a common but easily corrected problem. What I don't quite understand is why you went to the trouble of spraying it when a few brush strokes will produce the same result.

Anyway, I give you joy of it!
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline biedmatt  
#3 Posted : 06 October 2014 12:01:40(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
When brushing silver (and others with metallic flakes) paint, it is difficult to get a uniform look as the brush does not evenly distribute the flakes, causing streaking.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
Offline grahame  
#4 Posted : 06 October 2014 13:12:30(UTC)
grahame

United States   
Originally Posted by: ozzman Go to Quoted Post
What I don't quite understand is why you went to the trouble of spraying it when a few brush strokes will produce the same result.

No worries..it was a labour of love Love