Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline scissorsnm  
#1 Posted : 05 May 2014 23:42:10(UTC)
scissorsnm

United States   
I'm beginning to set up blocks with Marklin C track and want to know which rail to isolate, how to do it and how to wire it to the s88 decoder.
Should it be one ground rail with cuts in the rail or some way to do it with the isolating the hot center rail. Does the s88 decoder have to be grounded ?
Offline kbvrod  
#2 Posted : 06 May 2014 00:23:29(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Originally Posted by: scissorsnm Go to Quoted Post
I'm beginning to set up blocks with Marklin C track and want to know which rail to isolate, how to do it and how to wire it to the s88 decoder.
Should it be one ground rail with cuts in the rail or some way to do it with the isolating the hot center rail. Does the s88 decoder have to be grounded ?

Hallo and welcome!
Your best bet is isolate one rail that way you have the 3rd rail 'hot' and still have a grounded rail for power.The s88 is a ground contact.The C-track folks can tell you more.

Dr Dirt

Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 06 May 2014 07:50:11(UTC)
H0

Hi!

The cheap approach for three-rail layouts is separating one outer rail. This reduces ground contact of locos by half (and can be a problem with some modern model locos).
Some folks add a diode to make the rail only half-isolated. This "diode trick" improves ground contact a bit.

Others separate the centre rail and use current sensors (like two-rail layouts would use). Track voltage will be a bit lower because of the current sensors, but otherwise track contact will not be impaired.
People using that approach normally have a centre rail pickup in the last car of each train.

I run my trains manually, but I think I'd go for current sensors if I wanted automation on the layout.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline pederbc  
#4 Posted : 06 May 2014 08:07:17(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
I'm using the track isolation on my C-track layout with the S88 detectors from Littfinski. I had some intermittent problem with some loks, probably due to the comment above, but after using the diode trick it runs smoothly. I have been using this for a couple of years now without problems so I can definitively recommend it. I have divided the S88' into 3 buses and have them atached to Littfinski's HSI-88 and am using the Traincontroller software. Runs beautifully!

Br/Peder
Offline MikeR  
#5 Posted : 07 May 2014 21:38:22(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
I also use track isolation on C-track with a diode in each isolated section. The sensors are connected to a Loconet device developed by another member of our Marklin Modellers' Group. No problems have been encountered. I have been operating for about 6 months but other members in our Group have been operating for years using this contact method. I also use Train Controller. This feedback method is simple and effective. My blocks are divided into 3 contact sections - a short stop section at each end and the middle contact section. This enables me to stop my locomotives at the end of each block from either direction with the signals placed in the stop sections. Using this feedback method the complete block is a feedback section enabling me to determine if there is any rolling stock in a block and preventing accidents.

Mike
Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg