Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Andreas K  
#1 Posted : 27 August 2013 13:30:31(UTC)
Andreas K

Hi All

Can the Cs2 automatically increase or decrease the speed of a loco by means of aS88 ?

I have a very long stretch of straight track (more than 7 meters long) where I want to increase the speed of the loco’s
and decrease the speed again to normal cruising speed after the straight. I also want to decrease the speeds when my
loco’s are approaching a station before a braking module brings the train to a halt.

Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Kind Regards
Ak
Pure Marklin - Steam is my Passion
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Andreas K
Offline waorb  
#2 Posted : 27 August 2013 14:31:11(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Originally Posted by: Andreas K Go to Quoted Post
Hi All
Can the Cs2 automatically increase or decrease the speed of a loco by means of aS88 ?

Hello Andreas!

I'm new in digitalizing my layout, but as far as I read until now, CS2/S88 isn't capable of this feature... at least alone.

I have a very long stretch of straight track (more than 7 meters long) where I want to increase the speed of the loco’s
and decrease the speed again to normal cruising speed after the straight. I also want to decrease the speeds when my
loco’s are approaching a station before a braking module brings the train to a halt.
Any suggestions would greatly be appreciated.
Kind Regards
Ak

But...
If you install a computer software that send commands to the CS2, yes you can have this feature...
(you need a computer/network near from the layout, even Mac, windows or Linux)

During the last month I'm installing RocRail (www.rocrail.net), and using the programing 'technology' of blocks you can increase and decrease the speed based on S88 & contact tracks.

With your installed (huge) straight track, will be easy to configure the maximum number of sensors that the software allows.

Good luck!

Best regards,

Walter

ps. the software is free of charge. Cool
Offline Andreas K  
#3 Posted : 28 August 2013 11:39:13(UTC)
Andreas K

Hi Walter
Thanks for your feedback. I suspected that’s the case.
I only use Marklin’s Cs1 and Cs2 to control my layout and do not really want to go with other computer controls.
Hopefully Marklin will one day incorporate this function into the Cs2 since we can already control other loco functions via the S88.
Enjoy your digitalizing
Kind regards
Andreas K
Pure Marklin - Steam is my Passion
Offline Station_Dooiland  
#4 Posted : 11 May 2014 00:08:10(UTC)
Station_Dooiland

Netherlands   
Hi Walter,

Did you have hard some good news in the mean time.

I also want to see wat can be doen with à native CS2 system, and i am à little bit disappointed with the FAQ that you can't use THE s88 feature in that Way.

hope that an update Will change this.

Greetings,

J.
Offline Danlake  
#5 Posted : 11 May 2014 09:46:20(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
This is fundamental limit in CS2/CS1 (or any other stand alone command station)

To give a command to a loco to change the speed it needs to keep track of where the loco is on the layout, so when contact A is triggered is knows this is train X.

At the moment you could give a shunting command (decrease speed to slow) to a loco when a certain contact is triggered, but then the loco will slow down regardless of where it is on the layout. Only way to control speed of loco’s is by using block controlled by K83 (power on/off) or using a more gentle approach with brake modules and soft acceleration settings in the decoder.

When I realised this fundamentally restriction I opted for fully computer control of layout.

However I don’t not see why the CS2 (being a simple Linux computer) cannot eventually have such features build in. I think there was some discussion (wishes) that new signals may have a 2 way communication and could in theory then talk to a loco and register what loco just passed the signal?

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 11 May 2014 12:43:55(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Hopefully Marklin will one day incorporate this function into the Cs2 since we can already control other loco functions via the S88.
Since version 3.5.6 you should be able to record "macros" with loco instructions and assign those to loco function keys.
Thus you should be able to assign a loco function that sets the speed to e.g. 75% while another key sets it to e.g. 50%.

The CS2 will not know which loco triggered the s88. Thus this hack will work only if there is just one loco running over the s88 contact that triggers the speed changes.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline waorb  
#7 Posted : 12 May 2014 19:08:26(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Originally Posted by: Station_Dooiland Go to Quoted Post

I also want to see wat can be doen with à native CS2 system, and i am à little bit disappointed with the FAQ that you can't use THE s88 feature in that Way.
hope that an update Will change this.

Hello Johny!

I don't have (yet) the lastest version of Märklin firmware, and like Tom said above, seems that that new update have that feature of controlling the speed (even if the CS2 did not know which Lok trigger S88).

With Rocrail, if you explicit assign a Lok to a named block, yes the software will know which Lok trigger each S88 contact.

Cheers,

Walter
Offline Station_Dooiland  
#8 Posted : 25 May 2014 22:32:25(UTC)
Station_Dooiland

Netherlands   
Hai,

Maybe the newest firmware level off the CS2 (v. 3.6.2) will make a difference?
Have not had the time to update it, because im rebuilding (again) my layout, so it has to wait for a while.

But there will be a time.... BigGrin ...

Greetings,

Johny
Offline jeehring  
#9 Posted : 30 May 2014 03:50:47(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
.....(......)...The CS2 will not know which loco triggered the s88. Thus this hack will work only if there is just one loco running over the s88 contact that triggers the speed changes.

...mmmmh....it is more sophisticated than that and despite I personnally haven't experienced it yet, I think that you can use several locomotives. There is a completely new function, the "teach-In function"
The new feature allows the integration of controls for the locomotive, such as orders for rolling or switching , also orders for durations .

Through the "Teach-In function", the user can prescribe scenarios that are automatically saved by the system. In addition there is a possibility of editing scenarios to complete and correct & register them manually.

For instance the shuttle route.
Until now , on a shuttle route between two stations we could only let one train moving. It was not possible to activate switches or to commute with two trains on a common route. With the last update now, just set this scenario once and for all. We can make it for two trains....
This last update looks very interesting. We can have automated roads with durations. This is a new way to establish roads if we want.
For instance: now it should be possible on the same unique road to have one signal showing two different positions...(thanks to how the system can manage durations....)

Edited by user 30 May 2014 11:56:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 30 May 2014 08:03:17(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
...mmmmh....it is more sophisticated than that and despite I personnally haven't experienced it yet, I think that you can use several locomotives. There is a completely new function, the name of this new function is the "teach-In function"
The new feature allows the integration of controls for the locomotive, such as orders for rolling or switching , also orders for durations .

Through the "Teach-In function", the user can prescribe scenarios that are automatically saved by the system. In addition there is a possibility of editing scenarios to complete and correct & register them manually.
Great news! ThumpUp

BTW: That's the feature I was referring to. The CS2 will only know that the s88 contact at the tunnel entrance was triggered. Then the CS2 can change the speed of the BR 44 loco.
But it cannot change the speed of the loco that just passed the tunnel entrance because the CS2 simply doesn't know which loco's dun it.

You surely can use several locos. But with three different locos on the track that passes the tunnel, they will all change the speed of the BR 44.
You can change the speed of all three locos. If only one of the locos is under power (the other two without power in a shadow station) this will also work.

That's only my humble opinion. Now that you mastered the CS2, feel free to prove me wrong and show us the sophisticated possibilities of this new feature.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline jeehring  
#11 Posted : 30 May 2014 13:06:32(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
.....(......)...The CS2 will not know which loco triggered the s88. Thus this hack will work only if there is just one loco running over the s88 contact that triggers the speed changes.

...For instance: now it should be possible on the same unique road to have one signal showing two different positions...(thanks to how the system can manage durations....)

I quote myself because my English was probably wrong, I should have said " on one route (only one contact S88) it is possible that signals or turnouts can be switched twice ...".