Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kumarvartak  
#1 Posted : 11 August 2013 15:34:48(UTC)
kumarvartak

I am from India, where the dust and grime is much more than in western countries,I have read some suggestions by Marklin Forum members. Most of the members who have given suggestions are either from Europe, USA, or Australia, NewZealand, no one is from South Asia or India. Is using fine sandpaper OK, or are alcohol Swabs better, what about DW 40, does this do the job better. Please advise and keep in mind the conditions in India, lots of dust and high temperatures also the tracks will have to be cleaned frequently I cannot keep it in an air conditioned enclosure. Please help.
I have Marklin Locomotives from the 1955 1965 era and both M Track and 360 track
Thanks
Offline petestra  
#2 Posted : 11 August 2013 16:52:29(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi, I have used very fine sand paper or even an emory board to clean M-track. Do not rub the

rails too hard because you don't want to take the coating off. Some of my M-track I have owned

since the mid 1960s and they still look pretty good. Good luck, Peter Smile
Offline SCWHIPPLE  
#3 Posted : 12 August 2013 00:27:02(UTC)
SCWHIPPLE

United States   
Marklin makes a rail cleaner that you can buy for the outside rails, as do lots of others. For the center rail you can try this:
Centre Stud Cleaner
Offline drstapes  
#4 Posted : 12 August 2013 01:14:00(UTC)
drstapes

United Kingdom   
despite the potential disadvantages i have always used a Peco abrasive track cleaning rubber. Its cheap and effective. If you start using WD 40 you will attract more dust and dirt and causes the engine traction tyres to loose their grip.
Regards

Geoff (UK)

marklin HO from the 50's and 60's
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 12 August 2013 07:44:40(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: drstapes Go to Quoted Post
If you start using WD 40 you will attract more dust and dirt and causes the engine traction tyres to loose their grip.
Some say that abrasive cleaning methods will also attract more dirt. I avoid abrasive cleaning methods.

Two recent threads on track cleaning:
https://www.marklin-user...hemicals-and-metods.aspx
https://www.marklin-user...ail--studs--cleaner.aspx

I don't see that the conditions in India (hot and dusty) make a difference with respect to the "DON'Ts" of track cleaning.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage