Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mbarreto  
#1 Posted : 18 June 2013 14:35:44(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Hi again,

This question is just curiosity as at the moment I don't have a 3015 (although I have a 36159).

Can the new white transformers easily reverse direction of a CCS800 or 3015 croc, or is it needed a blue transformer?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline abisel  
#2 Posted : 19 June 2013 18:02:08(UTC)
abisel

United States   
The 3015 is an older analog loco that has a mechanical reversing relay and will not function properly on the digital white transformer system. It would require the blue transformer.

The digital system has a constant voltage at the track so the 3015 will run at full speed until you hit the STOP button for the power. You can then move the manual reversing lever on the loco to get the 3015 to reverse direction.

The old blue transformers varied the power at the tracks.
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2013 18:10:43(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: abisel Go to Quoted Post
The 3015 is an older analog loco that has a mechanical reversing relay and will not function properly on the digital white transformer system. It would require the blue transformer.

The digital system has a constant voltage at the track so the 3015 will run at full speed until you hit the STOP button for the power. You can then move the manual reversing lever on the loco to get the 3015 to reverse direction.

The old blue transformers varied the power at the tracks.
I think that grey transformers (e.g. 6646, 6647, 66470) should work.
BTW: there are no digital transformers.
The transformers I mention have the old-fashioned speed knob and a driving voltage ranging 4 through 16 V AC and a reversing voltage of 24 V.

The mechanical reversing unit in the loco may require adjustment as the actual reversing voltage of blue transformers can be 5+ V higher than that of grey transformers (but nominal reversing voltage of blue and grey transformers is the same).

I've never had a 3015 so I don't know if the MRU is different from recent analogue locos.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline mbarreto  
#4 Posted : 19 June 2013 20:27:14(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

Thanks to both for your answers.

Well, I was referring to 6647 and 66470 transformers. I don't have one and I thought they are white by what I see in the pictures.
I just checked the pictures in internet and I still see them white... BigGrin Better refer to them by the reference.

My doubt is related to the reversing pulse voltage of the blue transformers versus the new 66470 transformers and the voltage needed by the 3015 reverse unit. Basically I don't know if the mechanical reverse unit is equal to the one of most other HO locos.
After reading Tom's answer I am not sure it is, but even if it isn't, it probably maybe tuned in a similar way.

(I never liked tune mechanical reverse units and I almost forgot about it as the only analogue loco I have is my first one: a 3029 bought in December 1969 in my 5th birthday)

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline Soest  
#5 Posted : 21 June 2013 23:53:35(UTC)
Soest

Hi,

I tried my 3015 on both the beige or cream trafo and the old big blue. On the newer trafo it reverses but with more of a jump than with the big blue. I also tried my 30159 with both trafos and there was no difference reversing. Maybe the 30159 has a later mechanical reversing unit. In any event it gave me a chance to give my Crocs their exercise.

Cheers,

Mike
Why do grown men play with trains?
Their wives insist they are insane
But their dreams they won't let down the drain
'Cause there ain't no thing so hard to lose as those disappearing railway blues.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Soest
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 22 June 2013 08:01:51(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Soest Go to Quoted Post
On the newer trafo it reverses but with more of a jump than with the big blue.
Thanks for the feedback.
Can the reversing unit of the 3015 be adjusted?
If it can be adjusted, an adjustment should be all that is required to reduce the jump.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Soest  
#7 Posted : 22 June 2013 19:13:07(UTC)
Soest

Yes, the reversing unit can be adjusted on the 3015 in the usual way by adjusting the spring tension.

Cheers,

Mike
Why do grown men play with trains?
Their wives insist they are insane
But their dreams they won't let down the drain
'Cause there ain't no thing so hard to lose as those disappearing railway blues.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Soest