Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline winetrains  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2013 03:34:58(UTC)
winetrains

I am developing a DC HO scale SNCF layout in a wine cellar, trying to emulate the late 1950s while meandering around and through wine racks.

This is a layout lower to the ground than normal and viewed from one side, giving a sense of distance. However it is 2 dimensional and lacks gradients and tunnels, and as you will judge, I am a beginner at modeling. My approach was to start at one end of the cellar and, fortunately, it finally joined back where I started.

As you can see from the pictures below, I still have plenty of work to do. I intend to add more photos to this topic as my layout progresses. Please share your thoughts, criticisms, experiences and photos.

winetrains attached the following image(s):
DSC02039.JPG
DSC02040.JPG
DSC02043.JPG
DSC02047.JPG
DSC02049.JPG
DSC02052.JPG
DSC02057.JPG
DSC02062.JPG
DSC02063.JPG
DSC02065.JPG
DSC02069.JPG
DSC02070.JPG
DSC02072.JPG
DSC02076.JPG
DSC02077.JPG
DSC02079.JPG
DSC02080.JPG
DSC02081.JPG
DSC02085.JPG
DSC02086.JPG
thanks 15 users liked this useful post by winetrains
Offline nevw  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2013 04:17:18(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
How lovely. refreshments as you drive. It is a magnificent location for a wine train.

Nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Danlake  
#3 Posted : 01 April 2013 10:52:54(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
That's great! A real man caveCool

Looks like you have a large collection of rolling stock.

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
Offline utkan  
#4 Posted : 01 April 2013 10:57:17(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
WOW....Drool Drool Drool
Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you...
Offline ozzman  
#5 Posted : 01 April 2013 12:15:06(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Wow! Thanks for posting the photos. How fortunate you are being able to combine two such wonderful hobbies.

Oh, and when you say "I am a beginner at modelling", you are surely judging yourself in the view of others. As long as you enjoy the layout, who cares!
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline xxup  
#6 Posted : 01 April 2013 12:31:20(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Oh dear.. FD saw all that wine and started to ask some very difficult questions.. Blushing
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline rmsailor  
#7 Posted : 01 April 2013 13:59:52(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
I would think modelling in a cellar would be a good way of beating the Melbourne summer heat. It was hitting 35 centigrade when I was there three weeks ago and that was down the Mornington Peninsula.
Offline xxup  
#8 Posted : 01 April 2013 14:02:19(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: rmsailor Go to Quoted Post
... It was hitting 35 centigrade when I was there three weeks ago and that was down the Mornington Penninsula.

Nice to see you took advantage of the cooler weather.. It was 40+ a few weeks ago down there..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline obxbill  
#9 Posted : 01 April 2013 16:52:14(UTC)
obxbill

United States   
Very impressive! Love the location!!!! ThumpUp

Bill
Marklin HO and Z also Hornby 00 and US 2-rail
Offline kimballthurlow  
#10 Posted : 02 April 2013 01:10:59(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi David,

Now there's a layout that brings a smile to my face. BigGrin

I just love the way the background scenery is integrated into the overall theme of the room.
Congratulations on such a great idea, and beautifully executed.
Just let me take time please, to spend on the photos you posted.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline winetrains  
#11 Posted : 02 April 2013 11:58:14(UTC)
winetrains

Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi David,

Now there's a layout that brings a smile to my face. BigGrin

I just love the way the background scenery is integrated into the overall theme of the room.
Congratulations on such a great idea, and beautifully executed.
Just let me take time please, to spend on the photos you posted.

regards
Kimball

Thankyou Kimball and others for your kind comments. I have listed below the scenery items I have purchased should anyone be interested in modeling something similar. Happy to answer any enquiries.

Bar Mills,Sidewalks; Busch 1200, Vineyard grape vines; Durango Press 41, Coal loader kit
Faller 180432, Iron fence; Faller 54001, Sheep with shepherd & dog; Faller 81490, Vineyard with poles
Heki 1861, Grass matt - Wild grass; Heki 3380, Leaf tree flock; Heki 3383, Forest leaf fine foam flock
Jouef 675, Crossing with fence; Merten 0724, Ducks and geese; MKD 510, Gare station
Noch 07421, Grass matt - Nature plus wheet field; Noch 15614, Wine growers; Noch 25400, Vines
Preiser 10523, People; Preiser 14155, Cattle; Preiser 14168, Chickens; Preiser 14408, Dairy cows
Preiser 14411, Sheep; Preiser 29069, French constable; SceneMaster 1627, Tractor
Scenic Accents 1862, Cows and calves; Scenic Accents 1863, Horses; Scenic Express EX0540, White picket fence
Silflor 710-22H, Grass matt - Short lawm summer; Silflor 711-22H, Grass matt - Tall lawn summer
Silflor 713-22H, Grass matt - Cattle pasture summer; Silflor 721-22H, Grass matt - Summer pasture with weeds
Uneek 541, Ash & ballast filled buffer; Uneek 560, Split rail fencing; Vollmer 3009, Autumn festival
Vollmer 3526, Station platform; Vollmer 3680, Winery festival; Vollmer 3686, Winery
Vollmer 5129, House with vineyard; Vollmer 5705, Loading Guage and Water spout
Vollmer 5707, Water Tower Gera; Vollmer 5723, Gravel loader; Vollmer 5740, Sanding Tower
Vollmer 5747, Pipe cleaning plant; Wiking 88701, Manure spreader; Woodland Scenics 1840, Travellers
Woodland Scenics 1850, Road crew; Woodland Scenics 1861, Bus stop people
Woodland Scenics 1904, Bicycle buddies; Woodland Scenics 1906, Newstand
Woodland Scenics 1908, Passengers; Woodland Scenics 2750, Farmer's market

And below a photo of "winetrains" taking a well-earned break and enjoying a drop of shiraz in the cellar.
o.JPG
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by winetrains
Offline Yumgui  
#12 Posted : 02 April 2013 21:49:52(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
winetrains,

Such a surprising idea ! Great collection photos, background pix ... etc

Besides prompting me to start yet another collection (ie. double barrel wine wagons), you have now managed to do something I've sought after for years, which is to combine two very different scales : 1:1 scale (tasty bottles in this case) with 1:87 scale trains ...

Running trains between wine racks through bridges is quite brilliant ...
Also, keeping accessibility to the bottles throughout the layout, while we're all worried about accessibility to the track and trains, is very sharp too ;)

Without any animated smileys to slow the page down, and with your own smile as proof, it's just plain wonderful ... ^^ !

Thanks,

Y ;P
If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
Offline winetrains  
#13 Posted : 05 April 2013 13:15:10(UTC)
winetrains

Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Oh dear.. FD saw all that wine and started to ask some very difficult questions.. Blushing

Adrian, you got me thinking and today I installed a wrought iron gate with padlock at the entrance to the cellar. You are spot on, my wife has a drinking problem. Photo below. Regards, David
DSC02092.JPG
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by winetrains
Offline winetrains  
#14 Posted : 21 April 2013 06:02:22(UTC)
winetrains

I've made progress on the layout over the past two weeks, consequently I had to stock up from the local wine shop last night. How can one work in a wine cellar without a glass of nice red in hand? I have posted some new photos below.

Regards, David
DSC02125.JPG
DSC02135.JPG
DSC02139.JPG
DSC02141.JPG
DSC02143.JPG
DSC02144.JPG
DSC02146.JPG
DSC02147.JPG
DSC02150.JPG
DSC02151.JPG
DSC02152.JPG
DSC02153.JPG
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by winetrains
Offline jvuye  
#15 Posted : 21 April 2013 08:17:59(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
What a great idea!
I'll make sure that if and when my circumnavigation brings me to Australia, I'll carry a bottle of 1999 Cahors wine and a corkscrew.
Just an FYI for those interested: *Beer* is on draft in *my* train *attic*BigGrin
Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline nevw  
#16 Posted : 21 April 2013 09:00:16(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
What a great idea!
I'll make sure that if and when my circumnavigation brings me to Australia, I'll carry a bottle of 1999 Cahors wine and a corkscrew.
Just an FYI for those interested: *Beer* is on draft in *my* train *attic*BigGrin
Cheers

LOL LOL LOL Flapper Flapper Flapper RollEyes RollEyes RollEyes ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline kimballthurlow  
#17 Posted : 21 April 2013 12:28:16(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: winetrains Go to Quoted Post
I've made progress on the layout over the past two weeks, consequently I had to stock up from the local wine shop last night. How can one work in a wine cellar without a glass of nice red in hand? I have posted some new photos below.

Regards, David

Hi David,

It is obvious that you are spending far too much time on layout building. RollEyes

No self respecting wine drinker would have that many bottles in storage. I have been collecting wines since 1976, and at this moment I think I have about 6 bottles on racks to which I can point, all up.

I can only assume that I enjoyed most of my 'collection', because I cannot remember a lot of them. Though I can remember a few stand-outs.

Anyway, I really appreciate the thought that has gone into your layout, and as you say, you must have at least one bottle open while building. You just don't drink fast enough, or as they say in Australia, not enough quaffing.

regards
Kimball

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline rmsailor  
#18 Posted : 21 April 2013 14:09:36(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   

Hi David,
I notice you have some vintage items on your layout, notably a Hornby Dublo die-cast station and a Tri-ang station and signal box, all these items date from the mid 1950's. If I was to go digging I might still be able to find a couple of the Tri-ang ones from my train set days.

Bob M.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by rmsailor
Offline winetrains  
#19 Posted : 21 April 2013 20:03:39(UTC)
winetrains

Hi David,
I notice you have some vintage items on your layout, notably a Hornby Dublo die-cast station and a Tri-ang station and signal box, all these items date from the mid 1950's. If I was to go digging I might still be able to find a couple of the Tri-ang ones from my train set days.

Bob M.

Bob, you are correct again and very observant. I picked up the Hornby Dublo die-cast station in the second hand showcase at my local train shop. Given that I am trying to establish an era around 1958, it was a great pickup and nice to have a station not made of plastic. My first train set as a kid was Tri-ang and still have my old engines and carriages. However, they don't run well on HO tracks and have been relegated to a shelf. Don't have the heart to toss them out. My dad screwed the Tri-ang layout to a masonite board on legs, which folded back on to the wall of our cubby house. This was back in the early 1960s.

David
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by winetrains
Offline xxup  
#20 Posted : 21 April 2013 22:32:43(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Do you have any tips for removing wine stains from the layout?
Adrian
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline winetrains  
#21 Posted : 21 April 2013 23:23:08(UTC)
winetrains

Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Do you have any tips for removing wine stains from the layout?

Adrian, what a good question. The trick to removing a wine stain is to act before it dries. In my cellar, presumably I have spilt the wine after a glass or two. Thus I probably wouldn't notice and it would be too late. But if I did happen to notice, then as all layout enthusiasts would agree, there wouldn't be a cleaning cloth nearby. I would have to race up the stairs of my cellar with wine glass in hand, search for a cloth in the kitchen, then race down the stairs of the cellar trying not to stumble or spill even more wine. I would probably have a nasty fall. My recommendation is don't attempt to remove the wine stain because of the danger. Much simpler and safer to reach over for another bottle.

David
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by winetrains
Offline rmsailor  
#22 Posted : 22 April 2013 14:16:14(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi David,

I was rather before you in getting an electric train set. In 1954 my brother and myself each put £3 to buying a Tri-ang train set, complete with transformer and controller. You could not buy a wagon for that now! Over subsequent years it developed into a board which went down on the living room floor for several days at a time. My mother must have been very tolerant. Like you, I still have the original locomotives.

I have been looking at the excellent books by Michael Foster and Pat Hammond on the Hornby and Tri-ang systems. The die-cast Hornby station was introduced in 1950 and stayed in production until about 1960 when Hornby started to introduce a range of plastic buildings. It was probably based on the 1930's style of cast concrete building that was being used for new and reconstructed stations particularly by the Southern Railway during electrification work. In 1950 it would still be considered modern and of course it well suited the metal molding.

The Tri-ang first series of stations date from the end of 1952 and lasted until about 1961, when changes to track geometry required new platform sections. Your Tri-ang buildings may well have been made in Australia at the Moldex factory in Melbourne. A clue would be if any of the buildings have name boards with an Ausralian sounding name.

Bob M.

Offline winetrains  
#23 Posted : 05 June 2013 23:05:06(UTC)
winetrains

Any thoughts please on an effective, efficient and safe method for cleaning track on a large layout?

Up until now I have been rubbing a small pad across the top of the rail, a time consuming and tedious task.

In relation to the layout, I have spent a lot of time (and $$) on the scenery since posting the last photos. I have also purchased Sony's 2013 top of the range camcorder which should let me shoot video in dim light. I also bought a night light attachment that will allow me to shoot in total darkness with only the infra red light emitted by the attachment. It should make interesting viewing. Main problem is likely to be locating my glass of wine in near total darkness.

David
Offline kimballthurlow  
#24 Posted : 06 June 2013 10:39:56(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi David,
Track cleaning is tedious, no matter which way you spell it.

One method which may work is a block of wood the width of one of your wine cars. This is set up to float under the car, sliding on the tracks, the weight of the block (with iron work) does the cleaning. The car is used in any train traversing the layout.

The iron work mentioned is as follows. In order to arrange it under the car, preferably an old unwanted wine car, you need to drive two 2" or 3" nails through the block, preferably through pre-drilled holes. Hopefully the nails will end up parallel to each other, and at right angles to the block. Now these nails will act as a guide protruding though vertical holes you drill in the superstructure of the wagon.

If you don't get it so far, please reply.

regards
Kimball
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline nevw  
#25 Posted : 07 June 2013 00:37:06(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Tgought that I had posted this but it has gone .

Noch make a track cleaning car has felt pads under.
I have a LUX 2 car set. one is a vacuum and the other has a rotating Felt or mild abrasive brush. Works great.
Poucher made a tanker that could be filled with say Metho and it dripped onto a cleaning pad. Again very effective. with the Noch car attach it to a train and it is cleaning as you go around. They are not expensive so if running a few trains at once on different lines you could have one on each.

Nev
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by nevw
Offline Chook  
#26 Posted : 07 June 2013 04:12:46(UTC)
Chook

Australia   
Nev, metho would not be my choice as a cleaning fluid- those electric sliders produce sparks on the odd occasion. The whole wine cellar could go up in flames.
Not to mention that the odour of metho would certainly upset the "bouquet" of the wine.BigGrin

Regards....Chook..
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Chook
Offline nevw  
#27 Posted : 07 June 2013 12:45:03(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Chook Go to Quoted Post
Nev, metho would not be my choice as a cleaning fluid- those electric sliders produce sparks on the odd occasion. The whole wine cellar could go up in flames.
Not to mention that the odour of metho would certainly upset the "bouquet" of the wine.BigGrin

Regards....Chook..

Metho evaporates in a few secods.
No problems
NN

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by nevw
Offline Yumgui  
#28 Posted : 09 June 2013 22:16:11(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
David,

Nothing to do with track cleaning (whatever you do, please don't blow up the wine cellar ;) ... but have been meaning to ask ... :

Where or how did you manage these fabulous background paintings ? :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Truly wonderful !

Y ThumpUp
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Yumgui
Offline winetrains  
#29 Posted : 10 June 2013 08:49:49(UTC)
winetrains

Originally Posted by: Yumgui Go to Quoted Post
David,

Nothing to do with track cleaning (whatever you do, please don't blow up the wine cellar ;) ... but have been meaning to ask ... :

Where or how did you manage these fabulous background paintings ? :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Truly wonderful !

Y ThumpUp

Thanks Yum,

In 2011, the first Farmer's market appeared in our local area. I attended and spotted a couple of chaps sitting at a table who looked like artists. I got to talking to one of them and told him about my idea of getting murals painted of vineyard settings to put alongside my track. He was keen and came back to my place afterwards. Initially he painted four murals and we struck up a friendship. Then last year he was having dinner with us and I commissioned him to paint the French alps on the feature wall directly in front of my fat controller's chair, with Mont Blanc in the center. He's actually an accomplished artist. I still have a couple of small walls in the cellar that need murals but my marriage might be strained if I spent anymore money right at the moment.

David
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by winetrains
Offline rmsailor  
#30 Posted : 11 June 2013 11:18:02(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi David,
I did wonder if your back scenes came from around your home to you since you do stay in or close to, for Australia, wine growing districts and flat or gently rolling terrain is typical of Victoria. Of course after an Australian summer the grass would be bright yellow rather than green.That could be Arthur's seat in the background of the second picture above down the south of the Mornington Peninsula.

Bob M.
Offline winetrains  
#31 Posted : 17 June 2013 13:09:05(UTC)
winetrains

Posted below are photos of my steam trains, consistent with France (SNCF) around 1957.

Regards, David
Fleischmann 1351F.JPG
Fleischmann 4178.JPG
Fleischmann FL-411701.JPG
Jouef.JPG
Liliput BR.JPG
Rivarossa 1336.JPG
Trix 22369.JPG
Trix 22858.JPG
Offline winetrains  
#32 Posted : 17 June 2013 13:15:20(UTC)
winetrains

Forgot one.
Rivarossa 1336.JPG
Offline kimballthurlow  
#33 Posted : 17 June 2013 23:12:19(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi David,

Nice collection of French engines.

Marklin should do a few more.

regards
Kimball

Offline baggio  
#34 Posted : 18 June 2013 04:39:00(UTC)
baggio

Canada   
Hi, David:

Dumb question: which is more important to you in the cellar, the wine or the locos? Laugh

Me, I would have a hard time to choose if there were a fire between a loco and a good bottle of wine. Maybe it's the Italian coming out in me.LOL

I love your lay out. Keep it up until I come over.... with the corkscrew.

Ciao.

Silvano
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by baggio
Offline rmsailor  
#35 Posted : 18 June 2013 19:46:36(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi Silvano,

most Australian wine these days comes in screwtop bottles, so your corkscrew is probably superfluous.

Bob m.
Offline winetrains  
#36 Posted : 18 June 2013 20:42:26(UTC)
winetrains

Originally Posted by: baggio Go to Quoted Post
Hi, David:

Dumb question: which is more important to you in the cellar, the wine or the locos? Laugh

Me, I would have a hard time to choose if there were a fire between a loco and a good bottle of wine. Maybe it's the Italian coming out in me.LOL

I love your lay out. Keep it up until I come over.... with the corkscrew.

Ciao.

Silvano

Not a dumb question Silvano and a simple answer. I would try to save the wine wagons first.

Actually, my cellar is probably fire proof although I may die of smoke inhalation. It has a concrete slab for a roof, concrete floor and brick walls. Another question is "which bottle of wine would I reach for in my final moments as the cellar started filling with smoke and I realized escape was impossible?". Possible a nice Penfolds shiraz.

Bob is correct and most wines now have screw tops, although my older ones do have corks so I will be able to accommodate you when you arrive with your corkscrew.

I need to take better photos as the locos appear dark and you can't see the detail. I am trying to learn how to use my new Sony HDR-PJ790VE video camera and remote tripod. Then I will be able to post videos in this topic.

Regards, David
Offline Yumgui  
#37 Posted : 23 June 2013 21:51:08(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Great FRA locos David !

Now, even with quite a few from Märklin, I have to look for them too ... uffs !

Like the story about the local artists you befriended ... sounds and looks like what my wife does ...

Among other things, this is what she does; some extracts below of southern French land and seascapes from her site here :
http://www.laure-jaulin.com/index.php?lang=english

She doesn't know it yet but I will soon commission her for some more ... ;)

Best,

Yum ThumpUp

Edited by user 25 June 2013 20:28:32(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Yumgui attached the following image(s):
1988-Pin_Parasol_P-23x30.jpg
1990-Canal-25x19.5.jpg
1990-Gaubil-62x43.jpg
2005-Gaubil-20.5x14.jpg
2009-Marquet-70x56.5.jpg
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Yumgui
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#38 Posted : 05 April 2020 17:32:34(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
David,

For some reason (drinking wine instead of asking questions LOL ??) it has taken me this long to ask:

From where did you get those neat terraced display cases? I have seen the (what I call) "flat-stack" display cases which work fine, but I am curious about the terracing effect - rather like terraced vineyards...RollEyes

Thanks
Jimmy T
Analogue; M-track; BR 111; KLVM; Primex; Sarrasani Zirkuswelt
There is a Prototype For Everything
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jimmy Thompson
Offline winetrains  
#39 Posted : 05 April 2020 19:26:41(UTC)
winetrains

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for the question. The wooden shelf case was in the cellar when we purchased the house. I built the terraces myself, starting at the front. I nailed track to a strip of timber, then glued it to the front of a shelf. Then nailed another track to a strip of timber, glued a support to each side wall and glued the track on top of the 2 supports. Repeat progressively to build a terrace. The height of each shelf allowed me have a terrace 5 deep.

Cheers David
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by winetrains
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#40 Posted : 05 April 2020 21:20:58(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
ThumpUp Thanks Woot
Jimmy T
Offline rmsailor  
#41 Posted : 07 April 2020 11:54:55(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for the question. The wooden shelf case was in the cellar when we purchased the house. I built the terraces myself, starting at the front. I nailed track to a strip of timber, then glued it to the front of a shelf. Then nailed another track to a strip of timber, glued a support to each side wall and glued the track on top of the 2 supports. Repeat progressively to build a terrace. The height of each shelf allowed me have a terrace 5 deep.

Cheers David

Hi David,

It was nice hearing from you and interesting seeing the photos of your layout again. It would be nice to see some recent ones if you could post them. Also any recent wine wagon you have aquired. It must be more than a year since you last posted. Have you seen the very attracive metal bifoudres from Omnibus Models?

Regards,

Bob M.
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#42 Posted : 07 April 2020 17:45:10(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
David,

That sounds like a simple solution and could be used in a standard issue bookcase or IKEA special! Brilliant! Now why did I not think of all that? Oh yeah...the wine...ThumpUp

Cheers! Woot RollEyes
Jimmy T
Offline winetrains  
#43 Posted : 08 April 2020 08:24:00(UTC)
winetrains

Hi Jimmy,

Cheers David

Hi David,

It was nice hearing from you and interesting seeing the photos of your layout again. It would be nice to see some recent ones if you could post them. Also any recent wine wagon you have aquired. It must be more than a year since you last posted. Have you seen the very attracive metal bifoudres from Omnibus Models?

Regards,

Bob M.

Great to hear from you again Bob, trust you are well. I've just noticed that the topic jumps from June 2013 to March 2020 and all the wine wagon photos have gone. Has Marklin changed the rules and removed them? Thus I don't know which was the last wagon photo I posted.

That aside, my last purchase was December 2018 and the collection now runs to 368 wagons (not all unique) and I have run out of shelf space in the cellar. I bought a lot of really good wagons from a French dude called Didier who had the largest collection imaginable, covering most scales.

I'll check out Omnibus. Cheers from Australia
Offline rmsailor  
#44 Posted : 08 April 2020 09:33:22(UTC)
rmsailor

Scotland   
Hi Jimmy,

Cheers David

Hi David,

Regards,

Bob M.

Great to hear from you again Bob, trust you are well. I've just noticed that the topic jumps from June 2013 to March 2020 and all the wine wagon photos have gone. Has Marklin changed the rules and removed them? Thus I don't know which was the last wagon photo I posted.

That aside, my last purchase was December 2018 and the collection now runs to 368 wagons (not all unique) and I have run out of shelf space in the cellar. I bought a lot of really good wagons from a French dude called Didier who had the largest collection imaginable, covering most scales.

I'll check out Omnibus. Cheers from Australia

Hi David,

All the wagon pictures are under a separate heading. Look for wine wagons. Purchased a few from Didier myself along with his catalogue. He is still listing various items with along with Marklin some British Dapol cider vans and tankers. Now being very selective myself as a result of space pressure.

Bob M.
Offline Jimmy Thompson  
#45 Posted : 08 April 2020 12:35:30(UTC)
Jimmy Thompson

United States   
Yes, David, no worries, here they are Woot :

https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...posts/t26141-Wine-wagons

Whew!
Jimmy T