Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#1 Posted : 23 March 2013 10:04:14(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
has any one came across this one before and I may get some answers what's it all about (Peter Clapcott)

http://www.dcc4pc.co.uk/index.html
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline Chook  
#2 Posted : 24 March 2013 10:28:24(UTC)
Chook

Australia   
This sounds fantastic.
Sadly it is yet ANOTHER bus system (6Mb/s using twisted pair) but they are trying to future proof it.
That is the prime reason for my not adopting the Marklin system - it costs so much to get the next generation of hardware (MS1, MS2, CS1, CS2, ???$$$) and the previous controllers are then not upgradeable. How disapointed did the guys who paid full price for the CS1 feel when after a couple of weeks Marklin announced the release of CS2?
Great for profits but I'm sick of planned obsolescence by large companies.

These guys are using a PC (or smart phone) for the man machine interface and they are cheaply upgradeable.

Go railcom / rail commander!

Regards.......Chook.
Offline river6109  
#3 Posted : 24 March 2013 11:55:29(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Chook,

I've read through their article but I must confess half of the stuff I couldn't understand but I think underneath the guys are trying hard to produce a product which is suitable for our needs but I'm afraid to say we have seen it all before as you've described in your post.
I like to follow it a bit more and get some extra information regarding RailCom, most of my decoders are RailComPlus friendly, my ECoS understands it as well, all I need know understand the parts the ones I cant follow.

John
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 24 March 2013 12:42:53(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
This argumant is now an old one.

Basically it comes down to whether you prefer a general purpose PC loaded with suitable software, or the more classic case of a dedicated machine for running your trains.

Those who are heavily into computers will always see the advantages of the former, whereas those whose primary interest is in the trains and are not so computer literate will choose the latter.

There is no right or wrong approach, but both camps must be aware that there is another way of looking at the hobby.

Automation is possible with either approach, and we have to remind ourselves that many layouts operated automatically before the advent of digital control. In fact many still do so.

For myself, I embraced digital control years ago, but I am of the opinion that just because a new system comes out does not mean you have to immediately convert to it. I was quite happy to continue with my 6021 for years after many had upgraded to MS1, them CS1, and then CS2. Recently I acquired a very cheap MS2 which is ample for the needs of my small layout. I am quite happy with the capabilities it offers, and feel no pressing need to upgrade it. Although I keep up to date with technology I don't subscribe to the view that you have to keep constantly upgrading your software. In fact I feel strongly that technology companies try to bully you into upgrading all the time just to feed their own interests.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Ray S  
#5 Posted : 28 March 2013 15:21:07(UTC)
Ray S

United Kingdom   
Hi All,

I am one of the directors of DCC4PC and noticed this thread and thought I should introduce myself and offer to explain what we hope to achieve.

We, like all the other players in the DCC world are not a big business. Even the biggest players in this arena have only around 12 people on their staff.
This is probably one of the reasons for the level of frustration we felt when we first decided to join the manufacturing community. Things are often brought to market that are not fully developed and if they don't sell well enough production is simply stopped. The alternative approach is that unless and until a product is perfect it doesn't get released. This is probably why, after inventing RailCom, Lenz has still not produced the products they have been talking about for so long. On the other hand they have been generous enough to give us full access to their patents free of charge so we have been able to produce our local RailCom reader at a reasonable price. A small minority of manufacturers have devised products that incorporate sneaky techniques to try to force customers to only buy their brand of products. One of our aims is to devise products that will also work around these techniques.

Chook seems to have a problem with our Omnibus system as "yet ANOTHER bus system". Believe me, we only did this because there wasn't a bus system available with remotely suitable specifications for RailCom today and most definitely not up to anything that night come along in future such as fibre optics etc. Omnibus is open ended and operates using variable speeds so can remain compatible with s88 (snail speed) but is currently capable of speeds of 12 Mb/s and when even faster microprocessors come along - no problem as it has no upper limit. The reason there are so many bus systems out there is because they were all designed to do a specific job at the time. Some like Xpressnet & LocoNet do a reasonable job but can't be upgraded while others are just too out of date to even try. A flexible bus system was needed so we built one. We offered Omnibus to the NMRA but they had already decided to go with a variant of CAN bus. This is a proprietry system and every time it is used, a licence fee is earnt by Bosch. It was designed for the automotive industry and has been fudged to work with some manufacturers hardware but is unsuitable as it has a node priority system (with model trains, potential starvation of some nodes becomes an issue) and has a very bulky overhead. (You have a 5 byte header to carry a maximum of 8 bytes of data. Omnibus, in contrast, has a 3 byte header for every 64 bytes of data. Try doing a firmware upgrade via CAN bus and you will soon see why we thought this was daft. Firmware updating over Omnibus is automated and takes no longer than a couple of seconds and the hardware remains connected to your layout.)

Finally, RayF's comments were one of the main reasons I wanted to contribute. We are fully on the same page here and I agree with everything you said (and not because you are another Ray either.) Yes, some automation is possible with only hardware but as software is cheap to produce, can be duplicated for free and is easily upgradible, you can see why we felt this was also a good idea, provided the code is well written. It is then up to the users to adjust the mix of the hardware & software they use to give them as much pleasure as possible while staying within their comfort zone. My son and I agreed that we would only make a product if it either didn't exist but was desirable (like our cutout device) or if we could make one that out-performs what is already available - both technologically as well as based on cost to the consumer (like our RailCom Readers). Some of the prototypes we are working on at the moment (which are not mentioned yet on our website) are very exciting and I hope will make some other manufacturers realise they could do better. Will this policy make us rich? Not likely, but we are having a lot of fun making stuff.

Sorry I waffled on so much. Just thought there may be some questions you guys might want to ask which we may be able to answer.

Best wishes,

Ray
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Ray S
Offline Ian555  
#6 Posted : 28 March 2013 17:16:55(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Ray S,

Welcome to the forum. ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline river6109  
#7 Posted : 29 March 2013 01:28:46(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
This argumant is now an old one.

Basically it comes down to whether you prefer a general purpose PC loaded with suitable software, or the more classic case of a dedicated machine for running your trains.

Those who are heavily into computers will always see the advantages of the former, whereas those whose primary interest is in the trains and are not so computer literate will choose the latter.

There is no right or wrong approach, but both camps must be aware that there is another way of looking at the hobby.

Automation is possible with either approach, and we have to remind ourselves that many layouts operated automatically before the advent of digital control. In fact many still do so.

For myself, I embraced digital control years ago, but I am of the opinion that just because a new system comes out does not mean you have to immediately convert to it. I was quite happy to continue with my 6021 for years after many had upgraded to MS1, them CS1, and then CS2. Recently I acquired a very cheap MS2 which is ample for the needs of my small layout. I am quite happy with the capabilities it offers, and feel no pressing need to upgrade it. Although I keep up to date with technology I don't subscribe to the view that you have to keep constantly upgrading your software. In fact I feel strongly that technology companies try to bully you into upgrading all the time just to feed their own interests.

Ray,

secondly who can afford it, it took me years to decide to get an ECoS and for one reason, to keep it for years to come.

here is an extract from the inquiry: DCC4PC

Hi again John,

I think you may be confusing what would work with what you need. Basically
if it wouldn't work then it doesn't matter how much you need it, it still
wouldn't work and conversely if you don't need it then it doesn't matter if
it works or not. So when you say "using your Railcom detect module or reader
is than pretty useless with an ECoS" did you mean you don't need the
functionality this would offer or that it wouldn't work? (For the record our
RailCom Readers work perfectly with an ECoS and several ECoS owners have
bought them.)

As regards RailCom, there are quite a few manufacturers that make local
readers (Uhlenbrock, ESU, Tams & DCC4PC) and still more (TCS & Lenz) have
announced that they will be bringing similar readers to the market. I will
avoid listing all their technical differences, however our DCC4PC 16 zone
RailCom Readers are both the most advanced in terms of features and at the
same time the least expensive in terms of cost per RailCom detected zone. In
terms of software support our RailCom Readers can be used with a wider range
of software packages than the others as well. When you mention that your
layout is already set up for s88, I assume this was for occupancy detectors
on an s88 bus and, if this is the case, then it is unlikely that you would
need to change anything on your layout as RailCom has the same or fewer
requirements than any other technology such as occupancy detection or
braking sections etc. Once you have decided which rail you are going to
monitor, all you have to do is make sure that all your inputs are attached
to the same rail so as to avoid short circuits. This is fairly basic and no
more complicated even than a simple DC system. Simply pick a rail & don't
cross your wires - pretty easy, I'm sure you will agree.

Your main choices are really involved with your choice of software and some
cosmetic factors. If you want to see your block sections display the
locomotive identity on the little ECoS screen as well as on the computer
screen then you might need to use the ECoS Detect modules and Railroad &
Co's Traincontroller which is also not cheap. Our readers will also work
with Traincontroller but additionally with Rocrail and JMRI which are free
or our own Rail Commander which has a free "try before you buy" option.

So the bottom line as far as I can see it is:
(1) Do you want the automation options that running your layout with a
software package in combination with RailCom Readers can achieve?
(2) If you do, then which software package will do what you want at a price
you can live with?
(3) How many RailCom zones would be required in order to achieve this on
your layout? (As a rough rule of thumb, RailCom requires between half to a
third of the number of zones you may have needed for prediction using
occupancy detection, and braking sections are no longer needed as this
function will be managed by the software.)
(4) Finally, based on the number of zones required, decide which RailCom
Detector best suits your needs and desires.

I hope this has made things a little clearer. Just take the time to think
things through carefully before parting with any money.

Kind regards,

DCC4PC

my personal experiences with introducing a new product (food production) at least people can taste it and make up their mind but to get to this point you're spending a lot of money and time and you don't know whether people will enjoy or except your new product, an extra cost is advertising.

the company above, DCC4PC looks like is located in Scotland, welcome to the forum guys.

I'm for one likes to introduce, I think it is new and this will give members the opportunity to research into it themselves.
I know what Ray F is saying, here we go, another system on the market.
As I said before , I'm not completely sure what it does and until I can evaluate it, you never know there could be something in it, I or others may be interested in.

At this stage I can't comment on it whether it is good, bad or brilliant and how it could fit into my layout, as most of you know I'm not computer literate and some of you already stated it can be upgraded, whereas others can't and as Ray S. (DVV4PC) said some of the software is old technology.
For me and many others old or new technology is a term we understand but what is behind this old or new technology, for me, is a complete blank sheet. I try to come to terms with, what is written and at the same time try to understand the computer terms and what it all means or what functions it fullfills.

Simon, (DCC4PC) has been so kindly and has tried to answer some of my confusing questions, its like walking in a shop and the owner ask: can I help you and I say yes but I don't know really what I'm looking for, I've heard its called Rail Com.
I have to decide, whether or not I'm capable of combining my system (ECoS) with a computer linked hardware program and illustrations are very helpful for me how it works.
Like Ray F I still have my 6021 and when Märklin announced it will upgrade its old motorola system to a new one, modelers started to unload their motorola digital components, Märklin came up with a spaghetti wiring system how to combine the 2 with extra converting boxes which meant we where able to keep on using the 6021, ESU came along and said we can do this as well but found an easier and
more comprehensive way to combine the 2 systems, you now have 12 functions you can use on your 6021 and also add 4 x MS1 to the ECoS, a company which has nothing to do with Märklin has provided us with a sort of aftermarket products.
We than had MFX and now its called RailCom or RailComPlus and it looks like other manufacturers such as Zimo have included this into their product range, although this has nothing to do with DCC4PC coming across this company, it is now offering a RailCom system from your command station to your computer.
another aspect of it is, as it was revealed Lenz gave the technology free of charge but what is stopping these companies, e.g. Lenz, ESU or Zimo to match your technology ?

John
Offline Ray S  
#8 Posted : 30 March 2013 16:29:16(UTC)
Ray S

United Kingdom   
Hi again chaps,

Firstly thanks for the welcome messages.

Ian, do you live near the Forth Rail Bridge in your picture? We live about an hour and a half to the north in Angus. Email us if you ever feel like meeting up for a chat.

And hello again John and as you have surmised, yes we are based in Scotland. I have been playing trains since I was 6 (with a Fleishmann Startset) which is well over 50 years ago now.

I also started programming computers in 1972 - punching cards for a huge IBM Mainframe. My son Nicholas seems to have inherited this aptitude and started writing software aged 8. Today he is very talented both with electronics as well as software. When we discovered the digital age had penetrated the model railway arena we were first very excited, given the huge possibilities this now opened up. This was soon followed by frustration because progress has been so slow. Also some of the software out there is very basic and requires users to read manuals of biblical proportions and then set things up in quite complex ways. We wanted users to not have to learn to be computer programmers but rather just plug stuff in and it should work. Also having endless rules and limits to what can be done is annoying and unnecessary. We have decided we only want one limit and that is 5 Amps on the tracks. This is because we don't wish to set fire to your house or weld your locomotives to the tracks. Apart from this - no limits.

Train detection for automation has been done in many ways. Zimo first introduced a system where their decoders could trigger an acknowledgement pulse when addressed as an extension of the way the programming track does. A good idea but limited to only giving the train's identity. Then AJ Ireland at Digitrax came up with what he referred to as "Transponding" which is quite difficult to get working properly and detectors chattering to each other if too close together is a common problem. Many of these problems can be fixed but haven't been and years have gone by since the system came to market. As it stands the NMRA in America was unwilling to adopt it. Then other systems such as RFID were tried by people like MERG but if the detectors read one train going over a bridge while another is going under the bridge it can't tell them apart. Same problem with multiple layers in tunnels. Many of these problems can be solved using "prediction" in software but then, provided you tell the software which train you have just put on the tracks, it can predict where it is by using occupancy detectors (detecting local current draw) and you then don't need the RFID detectors. But software prediction isn't perfect either and large beds of points (not occupancy detected) can leave the software confused and train IDs may need to be re-entered.

So, when Bernd Lenz (the man who invented DCC) came up with the RailCom spec it finally looked like a problem solved and the NMRA was quick to adopt it. Much more information than just the locomotive's address could be transmitted and it could be done fairly cheaply as well as further upgrades added if the need arose. It must be said that all the decoder manufacturers that produce RailCom decoders have complied fully with the spec. Also a growing number of manufacturers have come on board to include this technology in their products, the most recent being Rocco and Uhlenbrock but to date only one of the manufacturers in the USA has incorporated the system in their decoder range so it is very Euro-centric at the moment.

Then the system requires a cutout which is a short-circuit lasting less than half a millisecond in the DCC packet stream. It is easy and cheap to build this into a command station or booster but for the many people who already own equipment that either can't do this or some, like the Hornby Elite, that only produce a cutout during a CV transmission, a stand-alone cutout generator was needed. Surprisingly we are the only company that has made one to date. Equally surprising is that our RailCom Readers seem to be the only ones built fully to spec - i.e. can read more than one RailCom Decoder in a zone and where lights in coaches and other resistors on the tracks can't damage the RailCom signal etc. I can understand why some manufacturers may have cut some corners as it could significantly reduce the number of components on the boards. As a general rule of thumb, we have found that each component on our boards ends up costing the end user about ten times as much as we paid for it. This is due to PCBoard manufacturing costs, distribution costs, retailer markup and, by far the biggest, the 20% VAT Her Majesty's Government slaps on top of everything. (A transformer on one of our prototypes has just gone up to £10 (from £4 last year) and because this single component could mean an extra £60 retail cost to the customer, we have scrapped the item from the design and have started a new search for a much cheaper alternative which will cause some further delay.) So our 16 Zone RailCom Readers which cost an average of £10 per zone for both RailCom and simple occupancy combined, is something we are very proud of, especially considering that each board has 225 components on it.

Since we started selling these boards the one problem that seems to confuse most users is which rail is which and what about wiring points, crossings and reversing loops? Not insoluble, just a little tricky. Which was why I started wondering about all the Märklin users out there. For you it couldn't be easier because your middle rail is always your middle rail. (No surprise then that the biggest layout in the world at Miniature Wonderland in Hamburg uses mostly three rail track. It is really just so much simpler.

Then if anyone is looking for inexpensive RailCom decoders you should look at the Tams range if you want fairly small, good quality RailCom enabled decoders. I bought a bunch of "function only" Tams RailCom decoders on Ebay for less than £10 each. (Their locomotive decoders for DC motors have a "G" at the end of their model number as opposed to those for AC motors which have a "W" at the end.) They also make lighting strips for coaches which have RailCom "function only" decoders built in so possibly also worth a look, as might be their range of conductive couplings.

I'm rambling on again so probably time I shut up. We really do enjoy email contact via our website so also feel free to drop us a line if any of you have any questions.

Regards,

Ray S
Offline Chook  
#9 Posted : 01 April 2013 08:44:06(UTC)
Chook

Australia   
Hi Ray S.
I am dumbstruck that we on this forum have access to the design and manufacturing controllers of a product that could be near to our hearts.
AND that you should take the time to understand what our (Marklin) requirements are and to incorporate them into your product is inspiring. Thank You.

My comment preamble of "sadly" should have been "interestingly". You would note that all of my subsequent observations of your product were positive. And if you can utilize an existing and easily procured electrical connection system (eg CAT5/5e or 6) to distribute your electrical protocol then this in my mind will make the connections very easy for the novice and home handyman alike. Marklin have used this philosophy however the bandwidth restraints as you have identified were unworkable with an electronic/software system designed 50 years later. Who could have foreseen that?

Please continue to "keep an eye" on our forum as I will be following your progress as I slowly rebuild my 1958 railway wagon in which to house my Marklin layout. Your system would seem to tick a lot of my boxes in relation to a controller system. (most importantly a manufacturer who listens to their targeted customers. I hope that this part does not bog you down too much)

Incidentally, keep those "ramblings" coming!

Regards.....Chook.
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 01 April 2013 19:53:26(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi RayS. I'm afraid you lost me! I only have a small layout and automation is not a high priority for me, so I'm quite happy to carry on with what Marklin offers me, currently in the form of the MS2.

However, if I was ever in the Market for a large, fully automated layout then I have no doubt I would check out your products at that time. Good luck with your venture into the digital Model railway world!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline RailComFan  
#11 Posted : 26 April 2017 18:08:59(UTC)
RailComFan

"Ray S" made Post #8 on: 30 March 2013 at 15:29:16

The trouble is that the last time the DCC4PC website had a Progress to Date change was 12/Dec/2012 (http://www.dcc4pc.co.uk/progress_to_date.html).
That means that in over 4 years, there has been no Progress to Date worth telling anyone about.

So, it's lucky that the people here were skeptical enough about DCC4PC to not jump in too early.

And, as you can see, there has been no update from "Ray S". Even when you do a search of this Forum, you find that there are no new posts from "Ray S".

But, they are still answering the telephone, and still taking money off people. They just aren't making any progress worth telling anyone about.

If you look at their Downloads page (http://www.dcc4pc.co.uk/downloads.html), you see that the PC Software "Rail Commander" is still in Beta (Version 0.2.1).

I have a list of faults in it, that were sent to "Ray S", with no solutions, even all these years later.

It was quite funny to hear "Ray S" crowing about how their RailCom Reader costs "an average of £10 per zone for both RailCom and simple occupancy combined".

But, you should try getting it to provide RailCom Data to software that wasn't written by DCC4PC. The only messages that get to TrainController look like they came from a TAMS Occupancy Detector - No RailCom at all!

Xander Berkhout of Berros (The author of iTrain) told me: "iTrain does support RailCom, but the question is which which devices. The list of devices supported are listed on our website and this one (The DCC4PC RailCom Reader) isn't, because they are supplying only raw data. I have talked to these guys and they were planning to interface with BiDiB. I don't know the current status."

Clearly, there is a disconnect between what "Ray S" at DCC4PC says, and what actually happens (That can be measured).

No way to use the DCC4PC RailCom Reader as a RailCom Detector on either TraonController or iTrain. Yet, "Ray S" says: "In terms of software support our RailCom Readers can be used with a wider range of software packages than the others as well."

Check out their website, and the documentation available from DCC4PC, and you won't get a Definitive list. That would require them to list Software, Software Version, and Level of Support (e.g. All RailCom message, Some RailCom message, Occupancy Detection only). But, 4 years later, no such list exists.

Is it any wonder that people struggle to make a Purchase from DCC4PC, when they provide so little 'hard evidence' of what their Hardware & Software is actually capable of?

A classic quote from "Ray S" (Post #5 on: 28 March 2013 at 14:21:07) is:
"Things are often brought to market that are not fully developed and if they don't sell well enough production is simply stopped."

It would appear that DCC4PC have done exactly what they said others were guilty of. If they claim they haven't, then YEARS is a long time to wait for Software Faults to be corrected.

Even if they never corrected specific Faults, the product is still in Beta, since 2012!!!
It's now 2017. That's a LOOOOOONG time to wait, with no word from DCC4PC, especially about the "very exciting" new products, that - in 2013 - were coming along. Or, was that just Vapourware from "Ray S". On no, that's right, he never told us what the new things were.