Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline monster134  
#1 Posted : 27 January 2013 19:42:13(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a 60215 CS2. I am going to throw it. Not long from now. It works fine, but just now my LUX vacuumcleaner derailed on a switch and shorted. The CS2 switched off completely, and then, after rebooting, froze up. Am I missing something? A setting somewhere maybe?

Safe it's life. I have a terrible temper. It will fly to a wall.

Thank you.

If at any stage in the defusing of a bomb,you should see a bomb technician running,try your utmost best to keep up with him-Army magazine of preventative action.
Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 27 January 2013 19:45:59(UTC)
Webmaster

Wait with throwing it against the wall until you've got some more answers...

Let it rest for a while, and meanwhile check if the Lux derailment did not cause some kinda permanent short on the rails first...

My 60215 has survived shorts by a faulty decoder/wiring and still boots up normally...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline monster134  
#3 Posted : 27 January 2013 19:59:41(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
I got it two weeks ago. It has been doing this from the start. If you short something, it switches off and reboots. And that takes time. Now, it just froze.
If at any stage in the defusing of a bomb,you should see a bomb technician running,try your utmost best to keep up with him-Army magazine of preventative action.
Offline Webmaster  
#4 Posted : 27 January 2013 20:03:39(UTC)
Webmaster

Well, my 60215 just reports a "short on track" and does not freeze/reboot at all... Confused Confused Confused
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline monster134  
#5 Posted : 27 January 2013 20:16:42(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
Now it says "there is no track protocol for this unit. You cannot run locomotives or accessories. Now what?
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 27 January 2013 20:38:20(UTC)
H0

I heard similar stories a few times now. It seems the power supply switches off faster than the CS2.
Check you configured the correct power supply in the CS2 settings.

Could be a faulty power supply. If the problem persists with the correct power source setting, contact your dealer or Märklin.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline monster134  
#7 Posted : 27 January 2013 21:28:46(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I heard similar stories a few times now. It seems the power supply switches off faster than the CS2.
Check you configured the correct power supply in the CS2 settings.

Could be a faulty power supply. If the problem persists with the correct power source setting, contact your dealer or Märklin.

Where do you get the setting screen for the power supply?
Offline NZMarklinist  
#8 Posted : 27 January 2013 22:40:48(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
This sort of problem Blink is one of the reasons I will be powering my layout thru boosters, and only having the points, signals, Turntable maybe, and other accessories directly connected to the CS, obviously thru their respective decoders. Wink Smile
Sorry thats no help to monster, but when your CS is sorted you should consider boosters, you obviously have a reasonable layout if your using the lux machine Huh
Talking about power supply settings, which of the switched mode power supplies, are you using monster ?

I have a CS1, but I believe with the CS2 you go to settings, then press on the spanner, and then probably look for "power supply or something relative, to set the CS2 to the one you have. Perhaps Juhan will know the correct steps ? Smile
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline jeehring  
#9 Posted : 27 January 2013 23:44:00(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: monster134 Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys,

I recently purchased a 60215 CS2. I am going to throw it. Not long from now. It works fine, but just now my LUX vacuumcleaner derailed on a switch and shorted. The CS2 switched off completely, and then, after rebooting, froze up. Am I missing something? A setting somewhere maybe?

Thank you.

as you bought then installed your new CS2, have you replaced any cables on your layout ?... some part of the wiring ?....the whole wiring ?
Offline monster134  
#10 Posted : 28 January 2013 07:09:35(UTC)
monster134

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: jeehring Go to Quoted Post
Hi guys,

Thank you.

as you bought then installed your new CS2, have you replaced any cables on your layout ?... some part of the wiring ?....the whole wiring ?

Nope, the only wiring I changed was from the CS2 to the track. Checked that out first, and all is fine. I will redo that bit tonight, and see what is up. I updated the CS2 to the newest software last night without any troubles. It still gives me the 'no track protocol' message.

Piece of shit. My 60212 ran here for seven years and never skipped a beat. I have sadly sold that. But if this carries on, I will buy something else.

Offline tulit  
#11 Posted : 29 January 2013 02:33:18(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Hi guys,

Thank you.

Nope, the only wiring I changed was from the CS2 to the track. Checked that out first, and all is fine. I will redo that bit tonight, and see what is up. I updated the CS2 to the newest software last night without any troubles. It still gives me the 'no track protocol' message.

Piece of shit. My 60212 ran here for seven years and never skipped a beat. I have sadly sold that. But if this carries on, I will buy something else.

See this thread : https://www.marklin-user...stst23537_CS-2-Dead.aspx
It's likely shot and needs to go back into Marklin.

If you were having the CS2 reboot everytime you had a short, either the power supply wasn't working correctly (which one are you using?) or you had the wrong power supply selected. The CS2 should current limit before the power supply does, thus preventing it from rebooting.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#12 Posted : 29 January 2013 03:39:52(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Where do you get the setting screen for the power supply?

It's one of the settings in the CS2 setup tab, but I can't remember which one. You should see either 60061 or 60100 depending on which power supply you have.
Offline jeehring  
#13 Posted : 29 January 2013 11:08:24(UTC)
jeehring

Hi guys,

Thank you.

Nope, the only wiring I changed was from the CS2 to the track. (...)...

maybe you should have done it ...Confused ...
You should have replace the cables or parts of the wiring , mainly on the track feeder ....
CS 60212 = 3 amps
CS 60215 = 5 amps
With 60215 it is mandatory to have sufficiently thick cables, otherwise you may have problems in case of short .I'm not good enough into electronics, to know at which degree the electrical power of the power device has an influence, all I know is that on the CS2 it is installed behind a 5 amps booster.
have you bought a new power supply ?
If the cross section of the feeder is not wide enough, the switch off of the CS is not going fast enough and vital organs of the devices can be affected/destroyed.....May be this could explain why a power supply switched off before the CS...( depending on internal architecture and sensitivity of both devices...)
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 29 January 2013 11:37:50(UTC)
H0

You should have replace the cables or parts of the wiring , mainly on the track feeder ....
CS 60212 = 3 amps
CS 60215 = 5 amps
Not with a 60 VA power supply or a 60 VA transformer (only 3 A output, no new wires required).

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline jeehring  
#15 Posted : 29 January 2013 12:26:55(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
CS 60212 = 3 amps
CS 60215 = 5 amps
Not with a 60 VA power supply or a 60 VA transformer (only 3 A output, no new wires required).

...pfff..Bored... .
monster 134 didn't tell which power supply is installed, nor if he bought a new one or not....