Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NRB  
#1 Posted : 19 December 2012 19:21:05(UTC)
NRB

United States   
I am new to Marklin trains, having just purchased a Märklin Digital H0 Branch Line Starter Set with Mobile Station
(Product #29245) and the Marklin Digital Steam Powered Rotary Snow Plow Train Set (Product #26833). The locomotive that came with the starter set runs perfectly when using the Mobile Station 2, but the Mobile Station 2 will not recognize either the snow plow or the locomotive that came with the snow plow (both are MFX). When I put either the snow plow or the locomotive that came with the snow plow on the track and then plug in the Mobile Station 2, MFX blinks twice on the Mobile Station 2, but neither the snow plow or the locomotive is recognized. I've reset the mobile station 2, but this did not help the problem. Any suggestions?
Offline charles Sharpe  
#2 Posted : 20 December 2012 07:21:14(UTC)
charles Sharpe

Hello.

First of all welcome to the forum.

You could try this. Just take 3/4 lengths of track connect them up on there own add in the MS2connection.Press the stop button on the controller then put one of the locos on the track and then press the stop button again to make the track live and see if that works. The best thing I learnt early on from one of the members when I was having trouble getting the lights to work in of my coaches was GO BACK TO BASICS or KISS keep it simple.

Charles. PS Happy Christmas and New Year.

Charles.
CHARLES SHARPE
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by charles Sharpe
NRB
Offline FrankF  
#3 Posted : 20 December 2012 10:35:16(UTC)
FrankF

Denmark   
In some rare cases MFX-Locomotives can have problems with being recognized by the MS2.

Try to get the MFX-locomotive to register on a another MS2 if this is possible for you.

If it get recognized by the other MS2, then try to set it back to your own MS2 and try again.

NOTE :
Many of the MS2 units delivered i Starts-set is not up to date regarding the internal Software in the MS2.
The last Software-version for the MS2 is V1.81 and you could try to get your MS2 updated by connecting it with a Marklin CS2 unit (60213/60214/60215)
which have been updated with minimum V 2.0.1 or higher.
The V 2.0.1 Software contains an Update for the MS2, which is transfered to the MS2 when you connect it to an updated CS2.
The minor update for the CS2, which was released in August also contains a new Update for the MS2, where the internal LOK-DB file in MS2 get updated
to the following version : 011 - (03/2012).

Have you tried to set up the Locomotive manually on the MS2

All MFX-Locomotives also have a Digital Adress, in the case of 26833, this adress is "55".

You could then try to find out if works this way around.

You might have to set up all the functions manually to on the MS2 in this case.

CS3+ 60216 ( SW:2.5.2 ) - MASTER / CS2 60215 ( SW:4.3.0 ) - SLAVE
MS2 60653/57 ( SW:4.13 ) / MS1 60652 ( SW:1.8AP ) / 60883 S88 LINK ( SW:1.1 )
MDT 3 (SW 3.6.0) - HW: 60970 / 60971 / 60801
ESU LOKPROGRAMMER ( SW 5.2.6 ) / ESU HW: 53451 / 53900 / 53901
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by FrankF
H0
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 20 December 2012 13:30:42(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: FrankF Go to Quoted Post
All MFX-Locomotives also have a Digital Adress, in the case of 26833, this adress is "55".
This can work only if mfx is disabled in the MS2 (and this option is not available if the firmware of the MS2 is too old).

With version 1.68 they added a new feature that shall force mfx locos to register again. Put only the mfx loco on the track and then invoke Detect Loco (or something to that effect) from the menu.
This does not always call locos back from their guru meditation, so trying them with another MS, a CS, or an ECoS is still worth a try.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline NRB  
#5 Posted : 21 December 2012 05:55:12(UTC)
NRB

United States   
Originally Posted by: charles Sharpe Go to Quoted Post
Hello.

First of all welcome to the forum.

You could try this. Just take 3/4 lengths of track connect them up on there own add in the MS2connection.Press the stop button on the controller then put one of the locos on the track and then press the stop button again to make the track live and see if that works. The best thing I learnt early on from one of the members when I was having trouble getting the lights to work in of my coaches was GO BACK TO BASICS or KISS keep it simple.

Charles. PS Happy Christmas and New Year.

Charles.

Charles,

Thanks for the warm welcome and the advice. I connected the MS2 to just one piece of track, but was still unable to get the MS2 to recognize the MFX units. I'll keep this thread posted on any success I may have in solving this problem.

Thanks,

NRB
Offline NRB  
#6 Posted : 21 December 2012 06:01:05(UTC)
NRB

United States   
In some rare cases MFX-Locomotives can have problems with being recognized by the MS2.

Try to get the MFX-locomotive to register on a another MS2 if this is possible for you.

If it get recognized by the other MS2, then try to set it back to your own MS2 and try again.

NOTE :
Many of the MS2 units delivered i Starts-set is not up to date regarding the internal Software in the MS2.
The last Software-version for the MS2 is V1.81 and you could try to get your MS2 updated by connecting it with a Marklin CS2 unit (60213/60214/60215)
The V 2.0.1 Software contains an Update for the MS2, which is transfered to the MS2 when you connect it to an updated CS2.
The minor update for the CS2, which was released in August also contains a new Update for the MS2, where the internal LOK-DB file in MS2 get updated

You might have to set up all the functions manually to on the MS2 in this case.

FrankF,

Thanks for your advice. My MS2 has software version 1.81, so that was not the problem. Unfortuneately, I don't know anyone near to where I live that has an MS2 or a CS2.

I found some success loading the units manually as you suggested. Once I figured out how to have the MS2 use only the MM2 and DCC protocols, I was able to manually register the units as MM2 units. Unfortuneately, I was only able to use function 1-4 on the 55. I couldn't figure out how to get to the rest of the sound functions. I tried register the loco as a DCC unit, but I was unable to.

Thanks,

Nathan
Offline NRB  
#7 Posted : 21 December 2012 06:06:09(UTC)
NRB

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
This can work only if mfx is disabled in the MS2 (and this option is not available if the firmware of the MS2 is too old).

With version 1.68 they added a new feature that shall force mfx locos to register again. Put only the mfx loco on the track and then invoke Detect Loco (or something to that effect) from the menu.
This does not always call locos back from their guru meditation, so trying them with another MS, a CS, or an ECoS is still worth a try.

Tom,

Thank you for the advice. The "Find Loco" feature did not work. It would look for an MFX and would say it was unable to find the loco.

I was able to manually register the units by switching the MS2 to only DCC/MM2 protocols. I registered the units using MM2, but I'm only able to use functions F1 through F4. The 55 unit has more sound functions that I'm currently unable to use. Can you only access F1 - F4 with MM2. Can an MFX loco be controlled by DCC?

Thanks,

Nathan
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 21 December 2012 07:59:41(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: NRB Go to Quoted Post
Can an MFX loco be controlled by DCC?
Märklin H0 locos with factory installed mfx decoder do not support DCC (that would make it too simple).

Can you only access F1 - F4 with MM2.
You can access F0 through F8 using MM protocol and two addresses (or more functions with three or four addresses).
Second address is set via register 75 - and cannot be changed using an MS2 (that would make it too simple).

Register an MM loco with address 255 and try if you can get some sounds with F1 through F4 (would be F5 through F8 of the decoder). If that doesn't work, try address 56 instead.
Addresses 254 and 253 might give more functions, but I presume those are disabled from the factory.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline NRB  
#9 Posted : 21 December 2012 20:48:01(UTC)
NRB

United States   
Hi!
Can an MFX loco be controlled by DCC?
Märklin H0 locos with factory installed mfx decoder do not support DCC (that would make it too simple).

Can you only access F1 - F4 with MM2.
You can access F0 through F8 using MM protocol and two addresses (or more functions with three or four addresses).
Second address is set via register 75 - and cannot be changed using an MS2 (that would make it too simple).

Register an MM loco with address 255 and try if you can get some sounds with F1 through F4 (would be F5 through F8 of the decoder). If that doesn't work, try address 56 instead.
Addresses 254 and 253 might give more functions, but I presume those are disabled from the factory.

Tom,

Thank you for the suggestions and information. I don't know how to register the second address with my MS2. Could you give me a few hints on how to do this or point me towards the information if it's online somewhere?

Thank you,

NRB
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 21 December 2012 21:34:14(UTC)
H0

I don't know how to register the second address with my MS2.
Manually add a new loco with "MM programmable" and address 255 and try F1 through F4. Do the same for address 56 if you get no reaction with address 255.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline NRB  
#11 Posted : 21 December 2012 21:38:09(UTC)
NRB

United States   
I don't know how to register the second address with my MS2.
Manually add a new loco with "MM programmable" and address 255 and try F1 through F4. Do the same for address 56 if you get no reaction with address 255.

Thanks! If this works, does it mean I'll need to switch between 2 locomotives on the MS2 to control the sounds from the 1 locomotive?
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 21 December 2012 21:44:11(UTC)
H0

Thanks! If this works, does it mean I'll need to switch between 2 locomotives on the MS2 to control the sounds from the 1 locomotive?
Not if it works with address 56 (IIRC).
With MS2 and mfx loco, you can change only very few basic settings.

It would be better to get your mfx loco to register automatically with the MS2. But I have no idea how to trigger that.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline NRB  
#13 Posted : 22 December 2012 03:39:37(UTC)
NRB

United States   
All,

I'm happy to report that I was able to get my 55 loco and the snow plow to register using MFX and the MS2. After a lot of trial and error (and research and help from Tom), I was able to get my units going under the MM2 protocol. After learning about the CV values and setting them, I decided to try to set CV 50 to a value of 15 which I believe tells the decoder unit to operate under all protocols (I'm not sure if this is correct or not). After this I enabled the MFX protocol on on the MS2 and set the 55 loco on the track. The 55 loco then registered under MFX and operated great with all its functions.

I removed the 55 from the track, and then tried this procedure with the snow plow, but it did not work. I then cleared all my locomotives from my MS2 and then put the snow plow and the 55 on the track together. This time the MS2 recognized the 55 first and then recognized the snow plow. I'm not sure why, but this worked.

Thanks,

NRB
User is suspended until 23/03/4752 12:54:35(UTC) Mulldog Lemon  
#14 Posted : 08 January 2013 20:27:16(UTC)
Mulldog Lemon

Australia   
I have the MS2 also. Comes from the 29131 Police "pull over driver" starter pack. This engine came with its own loco card, presumably because the MS2 doesn't have it in its database.

My own experience is that 'walking away' is a strategy. Sometimes it seems to take the controller a while to work out what's there.
Other times, it picks a previous version of that loco e.g. my 37193 gets picked up as a 37190, being the previous version of the 17 class.

Quote:
oh yes?

Quote:
hmm.

Thanks for that information!
I must remember this, next time I come come across a CS2.
UserPostedImage