Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline French_Fabrice  
#1 Posted : 29 October 2012 21:36:27(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Hello fans !

Seems M has increased the number of S88 connected to the CS2.
I've always thought the limit was 31 modules, but the CS2 (60214 with latest 2.01 update) can now reach 64 modules i.e a limit of 1024 sensors.

UserPostedImage

Has anybody tested successfully more than 31 modules ? (I've only 6 modules connected...)

Cheers
Fabrice
Offline Drongo  
#2 Posted : 01 November 2012 11:39:22(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Fabrice,

I have 14 s88 modules connected to my CS2 (60215), and although Marklin show that the CS2 can connect 64 modules, the software cannot actually see the extra modules. I believe that Marklin need to modify the software further.

However, there is good news. To overcome the problem of the software not seeing the extra modules, all you have to do is make a set of modules in the "layout" as you have shown in your picture. So, like I did for my system of 14 modules, I made a "layout" of 14 and I have 224 contacts.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline French_Fabrice  
#3 Posted : 01 November 2012 13:31:29(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Originally Posted by: youngagain Go to Quoted Post
Hi Fabrice,

I have 14 s88 modules connected to my CS2 (60215), and although Marklin show that the CS2 can connect 64 modules, the software cannot actually see the extra modules. I believe that Marklin need to modify the software further.

However, there is good news. To overcome the problem of the software not seeing the extra modules, all you have to do is make a set of modules in the "layout" as you have shown in your picture. So, like I did for my system of 14 modules, I made a "layout" of 14 and I have 224 contacts.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Greg

Hi Greg,

Many thanks for your reply, but I'm not sure to fully understand...
1) how did you come to such a conclusion (grouping by layout) ? Did you experiment yourself ? Had an info from Marklin support ?
2) What you mean is, for instance you have 40*S88 modules -a very big layout ! - and you group them in two layouts each containing 20 modules. Layout 1 sees contact 1 to 320, and layout 2 sees contact 321 to 640 ? Is that correct ?
3) In case my assumption 2) is correct, what is the behavior when the real layout is fully driven by a computer ? The 'layout' feature available with the CS2 is not mandatory to drive thru a computer, so what would be the PC behavior ? no contact seen after #496 (module 31 contact 16) ?
4) 14 modules in your case should have already run, as the CS2 was supposed to be able to address 31 modules (except the fact there was a bug in the software fixed (?) by the latest update, which was preventing to see contacts after module 7 or 8)...?

Sorry for the bunch of questionsBlushing

Cheers
Fabrice
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by French_Fabrice
Offline Drongo  
#4 Posted : 10 November 2012 12:54:57(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Hi Fabrice,

Sorry for the late reply.

The bug fix in the latest CS2 update didn't resolve the problem with the CS2 seeing more than 7 or 8 s88 modules - this is my opinion. I am using TrainController software on a PC to run my layout, and on their forum, someone showed my that the way around the problem of the CS2 seeing more than 8 s88 units was to go to the "Layout" section on the CS2. Here you enter all the contacts that you have on your layout. In my case, I have 14 s88 modules - i.e. 14 x 16 = 224 contacts. So enter 224 contacts. To make it look easy to see on the "Layout" screen, I entered 4, then a space, then 4, then a space, then 4, then a space and then 4, to complete a line. I did this on 14 lines. I don't know why it works, but it does and all my contacts work on the layout.

When I get a chance I'll take a photo and post it on the forum.

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Drongo
Offline French_Fabrice  
#5 Posted : 10 November 2012 21:11:12(UTC)
French_Fabrice

France   
Thanks for your reply, Greg !

Cheers
Fabrice