Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jcrtrains  
#1 Posted : 29 September 2012 02:19:28(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
The end of an era today in Toronto, Canada

http://www.citytv.com/to...toronto-for-cochrane-ont
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline piglesias  
#2 Posted : 29 September 2012 20:02:04(UTC)
piglesias

United States   
Originally Posted by: jcrtrains Go to Quoted Post
The end of an era today in Toronto, Canada

http://www.citytv.com/to...toronto-for-cochrane-ont

I rode it with my dad and younger brother in 1979 or 1980 - went on to Moosonee. I must say that as a teenager it didn't make a great impression on me.
Pablo
Offline Mark5  
#3 Posted : 30 September 2012 06:39:41(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Very sad about this news.

I was hoping to make a journey on the Northlander from Toronto up to James bay with my girls.

Wondering if this was really a wise move economically or just for political show.
Hard to measure the spin-off in local economies and secondary business.

RIP Northlander.

DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline Maxi  
#4 Posted : 30 September 2012 16:14:27(UTC)
Maxi

The Provincial government of Ontario is really in a tight spot with getting the provincial deficit under control and are cutting from every area it can. This includes the provincial parks and the teacher collective agreements (here the government is changing how sick days are awarded and used. Only 10 per year and they do not accumulate as in the past. This also means that for the teachers and employees that had the benefit of being paid out for unused sick days when they retire will also loose that perk, comes out to half a year pay and can be tax free if done right).

If the government gets all the changes through then the deficit will be more manageable, but a lot of people will not be happy.
In the end though the real dollar value saved will not be the bean counter theoretical value calculated on paper.Mellow

In the last election the Porvincial Government spent a lot to keep things going and people happy, now looking back makes one wonder when it happens again: How long will it be after you feel that you are finally getting one step ahead that you realize you are now two steps backConfused .
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 30 September 2012 19:43:17(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I was very fortunate as a child that my Dad decided to take us on the last run of the Canadian Pacific "Train du Nord" (Montreal - Labelle - Montreal) operated by CP Rail. The train stopped at several points along the way, the passengers disembarked and the train backed up and then did a photo drive by, then backed up and picked up the passengers and continued. I was very excited to be on that train and I remember it to this day.
I am sure that there were a lot of veterans on the last run of the "Northlander" and hopefully a handful of kids who will take away memories like the ones that I have.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline cwp_marklin  
#6 Posted : 02 October 2012 23:16:58(UTC)
cwp_marklin

United States   
Fortunately, the ONR Polar Bear Express (Cochrane to Moosonee) is still in operation. Information on the Polar Bear can be found at http://www.ontarionorthl...polar-bear-express-train
. Chris