Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#1 Posted : 02 July 2012 13:53:30(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Strange thing happened on my friends layout last week - both his fx locos suddenly stopped running, at the same time. They were running on parallel tracks, right next to each other. All his mfx locos continued running. Also, the turnout mechanisms did not function, (he has some with decoders, and some with K83's). He uses c track, MS2, with v1.81, track box v1.39.
He coupled up his "spare" MS2, and everything worked....so....he did a factory re-set on the "faulty" MS2, and all is well again...!RollEyes
Any thoughts...Huh
thanks, Joe
Offline franciscohg  
#2 Posted : 02 July 2012 14:02:20(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Gremlins?
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline jeehring  
#3 Posted : 02 July 2012 14:21:09(UTC)
jeehring

...on MS2 V1.81 we can choose between MFX, or Motorola, or MFX+Motorola, or Motorola+DCC, or MFX+DCC+Motorola, etc, etc...
FX loks and Turnouts have one common point : both are Motorola......
(for one reason or another, or inadvertently, Motorola could have been disabled...)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jeehring
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 02 July 2012 16:14:13(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Sounds like a spurious shut-off (SSO). Sometimes with electronic systems an electrical discharge or other disturbance will radiate enough energy to change a bit from 1 to 0 in a memory chip. This is sometimes enough to cause a whole section of the circuits to shut down or become inopearable. A reset usually clears this up. The SSO can also be caused by charged particles, so watch out for more shut-offs during Solar storms!

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 02 July 2012 16:50:31(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
He coupled up his "spare" MS2, and everything worked....so....he did a factory re-set on the "faulty" MS2, and all is well again...!RollEyes
Any thoughts...Huh
Probably everything would have worked again if only the power supply was disconnected from mains for 10 seconds or so.
I hope this won't happen again. If it does, don't do a reset, just power off for 10 seconds and try again.

At a club meeting a few weeks ago, some mfx locos would not register correctly with my MS2. Tried a friend's MS2 and locos registered correctly. Tried my MS2 again and locos registered correctly (without reset). Power off, count to 10, try again ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#6 Posted : 03 July 2012 10:08:15(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Thanx so much everyone - will pass on this info to Terry......And I'll watch out for those solar storms!!!!
Joe
Offline Johnvr  
#7 Posted : 03 July 2012 12:15:02(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Joe,

Glad everything is back up and running - don't think it could have been signal related issue !
Keep everybody working at their layouts !

Regards,BigGrin
John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#8 Posted : 03 July 2012 15:19:37(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Johnvr Go to Quoted Post
Joe,

Glad everything is back up and running - don't think it could have been signal related issue !
Keep everybody working at their layouts !

Regards,BigGrin
John

Hey John...good to hear from you! We trust you enjoying the holidayBigGrin Terry says to rest well, you have loads of work waiting for you on his layout..LOL
see you soon....Joe
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#9 Posted : 06 July 2012 13:26:28(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Originally Posted by: Joe Meiring Go to Quoted Post
Any thoughts...Huh
Probably everything would have worked again if only the power supply was disconnected from mains for 10 seconds or so.
I hope this won't happen again. If it does, don't do a reset, just power off for 10 seconds and try again.

At a club meeting a few weeks ago, some mfx locos would not register correctly with my MS2. Tried a friend's MS2 and locos registered correctly. Tried my MS2 again and locos registered correctly (without reset). Power off, count to 10, try again ...

You SO right Tom....used my "spare" MS2 the other day, and it wouldn't load any mfx locos - so powered off, for about 20 secs or so, tried again, and everything worked!BigGrin
Thanks so much, Joe