Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Johnvr  
#1 Posted : 03 June 2012 00:08:34(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Please tell me about your experience connecting your s88 Feedback Decoder to your Memory 6043.
I am about to do it for the first time, and I would be grateful for your tips and instructions on how it all works.

In particular, I would like to find out how to connect the 1-8 and 9-16 feedback cells from the s88, and some applications which you can describe on how you used the s88 decoder to work with your Memory on your layout.

Thank you.

Regards,BigGrin
John
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline river6109  
#2 Posted : 03 June 2012 05:45:30(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
John,

Although I have used the S88 with the memory and connected it the same way the instruction booklet tells you and all the programming involved in it but I never understood the mechanics behind it, mind you this was many years ago.
I think, the way I understood it, one side activates it and the other side cancels it.
One section of the programming I never achieved and this is when you set a priority route, whereas a track crosses another one and you select one track to have priority over the other one.

I didn't realize at the time how advanced the memory was, for instance your solenoids are switched in a sequence and you can delay the switching time by pressing the selected button up to 8 times (maximum delay).

I've used switch contact and contact tracks to monitor my trains, for instance your contact tracks are installed inside of your turnouts from both sides, within this circuit you attach a brown wire to the track and this in return goes to the S88 (I can't remember if it was 1-8 or 9-16), this way of setup, it isn't just your loco but also your carriages which will be monitored and the way it works, one side of the track is isolated (k-track for an example), with your AC wheels the other side is either free (no axles on your siding) or the siding is occupied = detection of wheels) and this will prevent any train entering this particular siding.
there are other blocksystems you can use, for instance a 3 track siding = all tracks are occupied and you have an entry signal = isolated section and the trains will not enter any of the sidings until one siding is declared free.
the memory only works in alphabetical order = route A1 - A8, B1 - B8, C, D etc etc. it always will start with route "A", than "B" etc.etc.

You can have the memory working internally or externally, again I can't remember which is which, one is for manual operation and the other automatic operation.
manual operation lets you press the button, e.g. A1 and this will than activate route "A" and as you most probably already found out you can add routes to another route, the maxcimum solenoids you can attach to a route is 20 adding another route you can have 40 solenoids operating in a sequencial mode.

there are issues as I said I haven't resolved, for instance if you have a 3 track siding and you have some of the connection points still free, e.g. 1-8 or 9-16 can you use the the left over connections for something else or is this it and you have to use another S88 to start with a new programming process.

I'm sure there are others on this forum who are more clued up than I am and hopefully I can pick up some hints and information from this interesting and important topic.

thanks for bringing it up.

regards.,

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline Johnvr  
#3 Posted : 03 June 2012 09:03:28(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
John,

Thank you for your feedback !

Yes, the way I understand it from the manual is that there are two modes of operation : i) Manual Mode ii) Interlocking Mode.

Manual Mode :
Under Manual Mode, you can connect 8 x 24994 "Circuit Track"s to the poles 1-8 on the s88 feedback decoder, and these will activate routes A1 .. A8 on your Memory. If you have a second s88 connected, then you can connect a further 8 x Circuit Tracks, and these will activate routes B1 .. B8 on your Memory. Ditto with the third s88 and routes C1 .. C8.

Under Manual Control, pins 9-16 of the s88 are not used.

Interlocking Mode :
Under Interlocking Mode, the same as above applies, but for each route, it tests whether the route is occupied or not by using pins 9-16 of the s88 feedback decoder connected to the 24995 "Contact Track".

If the track occupancy is detected, then it will not allow the route to be activated. If not occupied, then the route will be activated.

Route Locking and Releasing

This is where I don't follow the thread of the manual. It says "When the Interlocking function is active, the Memory only activates a route if it does not cross another valid route". What does it mean by this statement ? What does crossing another route mean ? I also don't understand when a route has to released. Released from what ?

Grateful for any comments on this part from members.

Regards,BigGrin
John
Offline jeehring  
#4 Posted : 03 June 2012 14:41:37(UTC)
jeehring

Originally Posted by: Johnvr Go to Quoted Post
John,

This is where I don't follow the thread of the manual. It says "When the Interlocking function is active, the Memory only activates a route if it does not cross another valid route". What does it mean by this statement ? .....
Regards,BigGrin
John

...as far as I remember , but I'm not very sure because actually my memory-system is disconnected.... it happens to avoid accidents when 2 different routes are sharing one same device or common devices .... For instance : one turnout is included in two routes A1 and A3...in the route A1 its position must be "turn left"....and in the route A3 its position should be "straight on ".
As under the interlocking mode & in some configurations the memory works in a sequential order ( not always) , if route A3 is trigerred the turnout won't be activated untill route A1 is unlocked ...In facts : it is the whole Route A3 that will not be executed before Route A1 is unlocked....( each device has an adress , the memory should be able to know if some routes shared same devices or not...)

Despite I didn't try it : the more comfortable is to have 2 memory 6043 one working in "normal mode" + one working in "interlocking mode"...(I only had one memory box 6043).

Edited by user 04 June 2012 15:35:47(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified