Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline KingBuick  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2012 05:04:27(UTC)
KingBuick

Hi everyone. I received the 37994 UP Big Boy a couple days ago from Modellbahn Collectors. I set it up for the first time today.

I registered the engine well the first time, but then I messed around with the settings of the locos that I'd sold (I was trying to delete them from the database) but I got confused and I turned the CS2 off. When I turned it back on the Big Boy wasn't there. So I tried to re-register it again in many ways (it was on the main programming track, so I moved it around various ways) but nothing worked.

So I called Dr. Tom Catherall. He came to the conclusion that since the loco wasn't distributed through Walthers that it didn't work. I don't believe that that's the right reason. Will bought the Big Boy directly from Märklin Germany, so it should work fine.

I emailed Will and he and I will talk by phone tomorrow. However I hope to have a solution to this problem before then.

I think the problem has to be something with my CS2. Every time I turned it on today (more than 10 times I'd imagine) the previous settings would not stay (for the most part). So I think that there must be a bug in the CS2 that's causing me not to register the Big Boy.

I deleted one mfx engine from the database and re-registered it on the programming track and it worked fine. It's not articulated like the Big Boy.

Can anyone please help me out?

Cheers!

Tadzio.
Permanent C-Track Layout controlled with 60215 CS2 with version 1 software. Locos and rolling stock from Eras II-IV.
My YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/KingBuick/ .
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KingBuick
Twitter: https://twitter.com/King_Buick
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 15 April 2012 07:55:20(UTC)
H0

Hi, Tadzio!
Originally Posted by: KingBuick Go to Quoted Post
Can anyone please help me out?
Automatic registration is the big advantage of mfx (say some people; I say it's the biggest disadvantage because it's compulsory and not optional).

There could be a deadlock: the Big Boy remembers the CS2 and therefore does not register again, but the CS2 forgot the BB.

There must be dozens of threads on mfx registration problems. Some things you could try:

Any other mfx controllers you can try (CS1 already shipped? MS1? MS2?)
Locos only recall the last controller they registered with. So if the BB sees a different mfx controller, the CS2 will be "new" and it should register again.

There should be an empty backup file on your CS2 (reset.tgz or similar name). The BB should register again after restoring this backup files (but all settings (trains, accessories, layout) will be lost).
You can create a backup of your current settings before you restore the default settings - but it could be that the internal data of the CS2 is in an insistent state after the power failure, so the backup may be of no use.

You can disable mfx on your CS2 and run the loco using MM protocol.
If you leave the BB on the shelf for a few days, it may register when you try it again.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Nielsenr  
#3 Posted : 15 April 2012 07:57:13(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
My guess is the Big Boy thought it registered but since you shut off the CS2, the CS2 probably doesn't remember it. I can offer two suggestions. Sometimes I have put AC power to a loco from a standard Marklin analog power supply. That seems to do some sort of reset to the decoder and will usually then re-register to the CS2. A second possibility is to do a reset to the CS2. If you haven't done a lot with it yet it shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck!!

Robert
Offline witzlerh  
#4 Posted : 15 April 2012 16:09:01(UTC)
witzlerh

Canada   
I agree that the BigBoy thinks that it has registered but the CS2 no longer remembers it. Applying AC to the Big Boy or setting it on a mobile station loop to register to something else or try an idea that gets the Big Boy to think that it no longer is placed on your CS2. Even if you have a friends CS2 layout.

I frequently do internal and external back-ups to avoid this senario. I have had to restore to a previous back-up a half a dozen times.

When I get a new lok, I register it, run it, back-up, then mess with settings, back-up again.
Harald
CS2 DB & Canadian Era 3-6