Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline DV  
#1 Posted : 03 January 2012 06:14:00(UTC)
DV

Australia   
To mangle a proverb/saying/cliché/phrase ‘greatness is in the eye of the beholder’

This layout might not be on the same scale of greatness such as MiWuLa or LOXX or some of our members such as Utkan or Monsterville or pab or Micha, but to me (imho) in its structure, simplicity, running and pure fun it rates pretty close to the above mentioned.

I spent a morning with Mike looking, filming, taking pictures, talking Märklin and having fun with Mike.

Who’s Mike you ask? A gentleman now living in Australia who was born in New Jersey (don’t hold that against him), moved to the Big Apple (NY), ended up in Texas and finally settled here after being a support muso for many of the world famous bands/singers in the 70’s and 80’s, with his last tour being with Linda Ronsted here in Australia

He is very proud to be one of the first members of the Märklin Club of America (I think that was the name, I’m sure someone will correct me) and has collect Märklin since the 70’s, amassing quite a collection and being a dyed in the wool, give no quarter, fight to the death M track and analogue devotee.

Once he settled here and his touring days were over, he decided to build his layout. His missus gave him the bedroom by the front door (14' x 12' in the old measurements), and off he went.

All the track work is M track, all the points are hand operated, and the only electrical components he has are the signals, the crane and the turntable(s). He is not a fan of electrical points as he feels eventually the bulbs will burn out and he is loath to replace them, and as he says, it’s more fun to change the points by hand (with the help of a long back scratcher) as they do in real life. His catenary is live and he runs all his electric engines off them. All steam and diesel run off the shoes/sliders.

His signals are connected, but again, they are mainly semaphore, and, you guessed it, he does it by hand.

I don’t argue with him about bulbs, electronics and signals as he is very happy in his world – and that’s all that matters.

He also has no feel for scenery and feels the lack of it does not take away from his enjoyment of playing with his trains. Most of the scenery he has accumulated has been of the fish tank style buildings and lighthouses as well as many flat plastic trees. His platforms are very simple wood structures, not to scale but, hey it works for him, and that’s all that matters.

Don’t ask him to provide a layout plan. There is none. He achieved this remarkable layout by joining track pieces and seeing where they lead. His track joints are near to perfect, even with bridges, points and crossings, as every piece of track he has purchased has been close to mint. He rarely has derailments and only when some one comes over to have a look (Murphy’s Law). Due to him being a top guitarist he refuses to cut any of the layout boards and goes to the local hardware store and asks them to do the cutting to the measurements he provides. As he sits there and runs his trains, his mind is continually working out how much further he can expand his layout.

He has managed to fit as much as possible in his room and still leave enough space to control and reach all points. He gets in by crawling under the bridge in the door way (the original door is gone and he has replaced with a bi-fold door) and he still planning on squeezing more in.

I hope you enjoy the pictures and videos. I plan to visit him sometime in March, where I will see how much more he has expanded.

m1
m2
m3
m4
m5
m6
m7
m8
m9
m10
m11
m12
m13
m14
m15
m16
m17
m18
m19
m20
m21

Edited by user 28 March 2016 08:36:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by DV
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 03 January 2012 07:29:31(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi Dusan,

Well I don't know if there is some auto-suggestion here, but that layout puts me in mind of the Stephen Sondheim song, "I look at clouds from both sides now, .....from up and down, from roundabout, ..... it's life's illusions I recall, ....".

Now I am the most musically illiterate (modern) person on the planet, yet that is what came to mind!

The layout is really a joy. Thanks for sharing.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline Ian555  
#3 Posted : 03 January 2012 07:42:38(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi Dusan,

Wonderful layout. ThumpUp ThumpUp

Ian.

Offline petestra  
#4 Posted : 03 January 2012 15:22:41(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi Dusan,

Well I don't know if there is some auto-suggestion here, but that layout puts me in mind of the Stephen Sondheim song, "I look at clouds from both sides now, .....from up and down, from roundabout, ..... it's life's illusions I recall, ....".

Now I am the most musically illiterate (modern) person on the planet, yet that is what came to mind!

regards
Kimball

Hi Kimball and Happy New Year. Sorry but I need to correct you. The song is "Both Sides
Now" written by Joni Mitchell and sung famously by one of my favorite singers,
Judy Collins. You can hear it on utube. It brings back great memories every time I hear it!
Cheers, PeterSmile
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline petestra  
#5 Posted : 03 January 2012 15:28:29(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Wonderful Layout Dusan! I'm from across the river in Manhattan! You can
take the boy out of the city but you can't take the city out of the boy!
PeterLOL BigGrin
Offline hennabm  
#6 Posted : 03 January 2012 16:50:19(UTC)
hennabm

Scotland   
A wonderful layout BigGrin

Mike
1957 - 1985 era
What's digital?
Offline Webmaster  
#7 Posted : 03 January 2012 20:17:30(UTC)
Webmaster

Great M-track layout... ThumpUp
I love the simplistic approach with the scenery, bare fibreboard and fantasy trees...
Train running is the main thing here. Kinda like Ian's stuff.

Is "Mike" a member here?... Wink
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline steventrain  
#8 Posted : 03 January 2012 20:55:59(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Excellent layout.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Jay  
#9 Posted : 03 January 2012 21:00:16(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   
Dear Webmaster

If you think Mike's layout is simple then even if I know how I would be too embarassed to show mine.I just have a flat board with tracks but one of these days,one of these days!!!BigGrin

Regards

Jay
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Jay
Offline DV  
#10 Posted : 03 January 2012 22:16:39(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Great M-track layout... ThumpUp
I love the simplistic approach with the scenery, bare fibreboard and fantasy trees...
Train running is the main thing here. Kinda like Ian's stuff.

Is "Mike" a member here?... Wink

Unfortunately Mike is not a member.Sad

As I wrote, when it comes to electronics, and specifically computers, Mike's wife is the expert. I even think that his wife opens his emails and lets him read them and then answers on his behalfRollEyes.

He has two passions in life - Märklin and playing blues music with his great collection of guitars (having sold two of five left in the world to a well know world artist - I presume to pay for his other love). Which comes first? I think they are even.

He's a great guy to talk to, especially when you discuss Märklin, and you better have your brain in gear as he quotes the catalogue numbers of all the items he has and wants, instead of descriptionsLOL Laugh

Am looking forward to another visit.
Dusan V
Offline kimballthurlow  
#11 Posted : 04 January 2012 00:50:21(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: petestra Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
Hi Dusan,

regards
Kimball

Hi Kimball and Happy New Year. Sorry but I need to correct you. The song is "Both Sides
Now" written by Joni Mitchell and sung famously by one of my favorite singers,
Judy Collins. You can hear it on utube. It brings back great memories every time I hear it!
Cheers, PeterSmile

Thank you Peter,
Well I did say I was illiterate. I knew someone would pick up on it if I was wrong. Smile

Anyway I remember the Judy Collins version of that song, she had a very fulsome voice. I still have the album, but no how to play it.

Interesting the way a musician looks at the hobby. The layout has a certain whimsy to it which is really quite uplifting.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline river6109  
#12 Posted : 04 January 2012 12:56:54(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Dusan,

Great videos and photos, makes me feel like turning my trains on.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline DV  
#13 Posted : 04 January 2012 22:36:26(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Dusan,

John

Glad I could be of assistance JohnBigGrin

Remember, it only takes to turn on one switchThumpUp
Dusan V
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DV
Offline Loadmaster  
#14 Posted : 05 January 2012 01:07:32(UTC)
Loadmaster

United States   
GEE, I love those plastic trees.

It takes me back to my childhood as my town was Plasticville and over 200 Plasticville trees.

Isn't it great to be a kid again.

Rob
HOac and Z scale running SBB/BLS Era IV-V
Offline NZMarklinist  
#15 Posted : 26 January 2012 02:50:00(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
"Lovely" BigGrin

One Man's dream ThumpUp

Thanks for sharing Dusan Smile
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline river6109  
#16 Posted : 26 January 2012 04:05:14(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: MMRCSA Go to Quoted Post
Dusan,

John

Glad I could be of assistance JohnBigGrin

Remember, it only takes to turn on one switchThumpUp

maybe your layout but mine has hundred of switches (slightly exxxxagerated) and when one doesn't work the whole trains want work on automatic pilot.BigGrin

John

Offline steventrain  
#17 Posted : 26 January 2012 09:24:29(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hugh layout, Excellent videos.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Eurobahnfan  
#18 Posted : 26 January 2012 19:21:32(UTC)
Eurobahnfan

United States   
Sometimes the simple approach is the best, especially here since the lack of scenery details focuses your attention to the real stars of the show -- the trains. Great photos and video... thanks for sharing.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Eurobahnfan
Offline MikeK  
#19 Posted : 26 January 2012 22:39:43(UTC)
MikeK

Denmark   
What a lovely layout - love that sound of trains riding on m-track on the boards :)

While the scenery might be simple, it still have great scenery, just shows how little it takes to bring life to a layout if it is done with the heart :)

^__^
Mike
A single track on the floor is better than no track at all...
Offline Darren W  
#20 Posted : 27 January 2012 05:17:15(UTC)
Darren W

Canada   
That is such a great example of how this hobby is unique to each person. I think the whole thing looks fantastic and the sound of the trains running on the M-track brings it to life.

Cheers
Darren
Offline Mark5  
#21 Posted : 31 May 2012 08:01:55(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Thanks for sharing this.

Always happy to see people using electric trains as electric trains.
And what I mean is using catenary as it should be, functional as well as beautiful, and not for show alone.

One of my pet Marklin peeves is seeing electric trains running with the pantograph down ....on a layout that has catenary!!

Thanks again for the photos and the videos.

Mark
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline mattj70  
#22 Posted : 01 June 2012 06:23:37(UTC)
mattj70

United States   
I like it it has style, lots of tracks, some nice trains on the wall, all the VW's! ;o)
Offline DV  
#23 Posted : 28 March 2016 08:09:47(UTC)
DV

Australia   
For those that came in lateBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin ....always wanted to write thatBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

At the top of the thread I had this written:-

He has managed to fit as much as possible in his room and still leave enough space to control and reach all points. He gets in by crawling under the bridge in the door way (the original door is gone and he has replaced with a bi-fold door) and he still planning on squeezing more in.

Well about two years ago I got a phone call from Mike, he was down in the dumps (I suppose feeling his age), and asked me if I was interested in buying any of his collection. He had decided to sell. I asked why, when he was such huge Märklin devotee, his answer - ' I have no one to leave his beautiful Märklin collection to, so I might as well sell it and have some different enjoyment from the money I raise'. I was gobsmackedBlink Sad OhMyGod. He was looking for 'Koll' prices, I told him that I knew his collection was in excellent condition, but it would take a while. He wasn't worried. I advised best way to sell was to make a list with prices he wanted for the items and to get his wife to create an electronic copy.

All went quiet and then last year I get another phone call. 'Come over and have a look at my new layout'......what the.........Confused Confused Confused .

His wife had talked him out of selling his collection as he really didn't have any other interests beside his music (and he had enough instruments), so, suck it up princess and get with the Märklin program. So in August last year I went to have another morning at Mike'sBigGrin BigGrin .

He has moved out of the front bedroom, has enclosed his carport with lined walls, air-conditioning, great floor, lots of storage space and enough electrical points to satisfy his layout.

The layout is around the wall with a cross over near the front entrance. It will have a main eight track terminus station in the middle. A mountain station on the front door side that will be reached by a long ascent from the opposite side. From that upper level a long bridge will cross over the terminus station.
Main line is at approximately chest height. It will also have a port at the opposite end to the entrance and a huge, and I mean super huge marshaling yard, virtually the full length of the layout. Two turntables and train sheds.

Since that time in August a few things have changed - as they do when you build a layout as you go alongBigGrin BigGrin

I asked if I could make a pictorial history of this new layout and he was overjoyed with the ideaThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

August visit - his first ideas

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

As you can see he found some brackets at the local hardware store that suit his needs perfectly for the upper line. He had one main line done and was looking to make another parallel to the first

October visit.

Because I was making a pictorial history, he allowed me to run some of my trainsThumpUp ThumpUp

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

As you can see the brackets have been taken down, the areas cleaned up and some small changes occurred.

I then ran my Le Capitol set with a few of his passenger carriages to make the train a bit longer.

March visit, the second line has been laid, two trains can now run woohooWoot Woot Woot ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

He knows I love V200s so when I arrived he had two running, a cream and turquoise freight and the general red and grey passenger.

He was very pleased that he could get his double line rail crossing into the main lines

You can see his fish tank castles in the corners to brighten the areas up a bitBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

He explained what else he had planned and I asked whether he was going to live long enough....you might guess his answerBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

The next visit he promises one upper level done.

Stay tuned.ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
Dusan V
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by DV
Offline analogmike  
#24 Posted : 28 March 2016 18:55:35(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
Wow, great stuff. I think he will live a long long time because he avoids the stress of wiring and scenery. Reminds me allot of that Italian club layout. mikey.
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
Offline xxup  
#25 Posted : 28 March 2016 23:25:01(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
And he will get very fit running between all the manual switches.. Laugh
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline GlennM  
#26 Posted : 13 July 2016 12:28:11(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Great posts Dusan, glad to see he was talked out of selling his collection, would have been a shame. Seems he has got a new lease of life for the hobby as a result ThumpUp ThumpUp

As for the lack of scenery and fish tank castles, I don't think it really matters so long as you are able to enjoy your hobby to the max. We all enjoy our hobby in different ways and who's to say anyone is right or wrong, it is a hobby first and foremost.

Hope you will be able to post some update pictures in due course.

BR
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline DV  
#27 Posted : 13 July 2016 13:04:37(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post

Hope you will be able to post some update pictures in due course.

Arranging to visit in the next two weeks. He's promised me that he's done the upper level. Will be interesting to see.

Dusan V
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DV
Offline DV  
#28 Posted : 26 July 2017 06:40:48(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Well, it's been a bloody long two weeksBlushing Blushing Blushing

Actually since the last post, I've been down to Mike's twice, last year in August and this week (25/07/2017).

Let's start with August last year.

As can be seen by the photos, Mike's layout has progressed slowly, and when you design as you go along, things tend to change. Tracks are put down then taken off. Catenary masts are placed, then removed, sidings done, then not done, and so on.

Mike's layout (as stated before) is all in his head, and he is not satisfied until it is EXACTLY like he sees it in his head, courtesy of being a musician and backing quite a few world famous people in his younger days and having to play precisely as the 'Stars' required.

Now that he's retired (sort ofBigGrin BigGrin ) he can spend as much time as he likes on getting his layout right.

UserPostedImage
The proposed yard

UserPostedImage
Start of the yard

UserPostedImage
Proposed 'Castle' Station and start of incline leading to upper levels - that's right, more than oneBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

UserPostedImage
The incline

UserPostedImage
Closer view of the brackets he's using. As stated before, Mike is definitely not a home handy man, and he found these brackets at 'Bunnings' (local hardware store) that suit his purpose beautifully.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
He found these lights at the local 'Jaycar', something like Radio Shack, and again, they suit his purpose perfectly.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Propose turntable placement one

UserPostedImage
Placement of turntable two with 6 stall roundhouse

UserPostedImage

Now for the videos.

For all you aficionados of the sound of M track, I'm sorry, but for the next three videos I've included music, and that was mainly to drown out the chitter chatter that could be found rather embarrassing for the talkers.

The BR44 is one of Mike's favourite syeam locos and he has untold joy in running as often as possible

This is my 3103 set (which I received for Christmas in '57....and still running stronglyThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp), the venerable BR24 058 - 3003 originally with FM 800 on the tender.

Bob, one of our other mates', brought his TEE coaches which had lighting fitted with the connections by cable between the coaches, to give them a run.

July 2017

This last week I visited Mike as he had advised me that he had now fitted catenary on at least one full run.

This gave me a chance to bring some of my electric locos to give them a run with the pantograph up, something I've wanted to video for a long timeThumpUp ThumpUp

And, as usual, there were minor and major changes to the layout, as new (and old) ideas came up (or resurfaced)

UserPostedImage
Turntable 2 and six stall roundhouse

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Better view of the crane

UserPostedImage
Turntable one and one upper level with catenary

UserPostedImage
Proposed yard

UserPostedImage
Start of wharf and in background 'Castle' station with first level beginning

UserPostedImage
How to use two cranes, create a wharf

UserPostedImage
Wharf yard

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Mike had two of the short cross overs left and had to use them, so, here is the solutionBigGrin ThumpUp ThumpUp

UserPostedImage
Line against the wall is leading to upper level, the front two lines lead to yard and wharf....sort ofBigGrin BigGrin

UserPostedImage
Start of wharf, and the reason for the light houseBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

UserPostedImage
The light house, bought from an aquarium store....as are the castles, arches and treesBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

UserPostedImage
Somehow or other Mike had to get his pristine mechanical crossing into the layout....and, voila...there it is.

UserPostedImage

First video is of two E94's (of the many he has), double heading his track construction train.
Both locos are picking up current from the catenary, as both have had their 'shoes' removed, so that they only work from the overhead - non operating catenary is not negotiable with Mike.
If you look closely he has at the front the 'office' wagon, followed by cars hauling boxes of spikes, then sleepers, then rails, then earthmoving and finally cars holding tools and other equipment

Now the E94 double header is climbing the incline heading towards the upper levels, that's why he required the double header, one loco couldn't do itBigGrin BigGrin

This my Brawa BR 232 running analogue with soundThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp

Then we tried to get the BR 232 to push the camera car so as to get a drivers' view.........MAJOR FAILScared Scared Cursing Cursing Blushing Blushing Crying Crying
The wagon was to light and the radii's were too tight.....well that's the excuse we settled onBlushing Blushing Blushing

One more try with modern day locos on old style M track analogue layouts, this time the Piko Vectron PKP Cargo.
Ran well, thank goodness, that's two successes..woohoo

So back to the old style and Mike's favourite, the BR 44, first time around pulling a fair load

I also loved the way the full freight train snaked around the crossings and here's two videos to show this, the first from ground level and the second from above - well as much as I could get above, as the ceiling is fairly low,

And finally a video showing a V200 passenger train (Mike knows I love V200s) running around the layout and you get to see what the overall layout looks like .....and Mike as wellBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin

Until next time (maybe before Christmas), enjoyThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
Dusan V
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by DV
Offline GlennM  
#29 Posted : 27 July 2017 01:31:14(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Great pics and videos (as always Dusan) of a great layout, many thanks ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
DV
Offline river6109  
#30 Posted : 27 July 2017 07:19:57(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
this layout has a similarity, especially when it comes to support brackets, Mike's are from Bunnings and Schweikhardt are from a Märklin metal kit.

thanks 6 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline DV  
#31 Posted : 27 July 2017 08:45:18(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Mike's are from Bunnings and Schweikhardt are from a Märklin metal kit.

And Mike's are a lot cheaper[BigGrin

They are the 'Carinya Flat Make-A-Bracket', if you're interestedThumpUp ThumpUp
Dusan V
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by DV
Offline GlennM  
#32 Posted : 27 July 2017 13:51:49(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
this layout has a similarity, especially when it comes to support brackets, Mike's are from Bunnings and Schweikhardt are from a Märklin metal kit.

Yes John this is a great layout, which I had the pleasure to view in 2016

20160128_185415.jpg
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline steventrain  
#33 Posted : 27 July 2017 16:29:50(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Great videos Dusan.Smile
Offline DV  
#34 Posted : 20 April 2018 10:15:26(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Can't believe that nine months has passed since my last visit, and has Mike done some workScared Scared Scared Scared

As you come in the ''Betriebwerks" are looking fairly busy, but as Mike pointed out, some of the items will be moved.....but it still looks good.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Mike loves freight trainsWub Wub Wub , but as he said, the station is still to be built, so that's why there is a dearth of passenger trains.

UserPostedImage

Those are the Bunnings brackets he likes so much, ready to have the next level secured, as can be seen in the next photo

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Then we come to the proposed 'Port'. Had to ask Mike what does he do if there is a derailment behind the port, he advised the vertical panels are movable, so that he can get to the problems....which all ready has happenedScared Scared

UserPostedImage

Then the start of the proposed yard.

UserPostedImage

The proposed yard

UserPostedImage

Then he showed me how the next level will cross over the yard. The whole layout is all in Mike's head, no design, no plans, just ideas with trail and error, as can be seen when you compare the first photos with the latest.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

A few photos of the lower line at night with Mike's 'agricultural' consist.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Then it was onto running the trains.

First he had to park his 'work' train - E94 double headers, as one couldn't pull the train up to the first level, so, as in real life, you require a double header.

Then the 'Cement' train was given a run -E10 double header - the cement wagons and wagons carrying the bags of cement are very heavy, so require two locos.

All Mike's electric locos work off the overhead system in analogue form. All others from the tracks

Mike saw somewhere a combination of a V200 and BR44, so he made up his 'Agricultural' train. Work well those locos together (as Yoda would sayBigGrin BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin )

And finally the E10's doing the 'snake' run.

Until next time, hope you enjoy the photos and videosThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
Dusan V
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by DV
Offline Tex  
#35 Posted : 21 April 2018 04:31:03(UTC)
Tex

United States   

Dusan Have enjoyed the photographs of Mikes layouts. I met him and viewed his garage layout in Texas about 20 years ago. His layout and my first layout shared the first issue of the short lived Marklin Club of America news letter. ( I also am not sure of the name ) His first layout had no scenery , only long loops of carefully layed M-track. We corresponded when he was soon to go to Australia and I advised him on how he could sell his collection. Tex

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tex
DV