Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Robert Davies  
#1 Posted : 15 November 2011 19:12:32(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
Continuing from this very useful thread,
https://www.marklin-users.net/fo...0375_Nielsenr---S88.aspx
I am now encountering more peculiar s88 behaviour, so can some knowledgeable person please give me a hand here.

[First of all, let me put my cards on the table and say that I am not using Marklin s88 units but Conrad s88 5212's. However, my understanding is that they are identical so that should not make any difference.]

I am continuing to explore ways of implementing true prototypical signalling on my layout. The first design proved the basic concept and I have now commissioned the more sophisticated Mark 2 version, which uses lots more feedback channels and this is where the problem lies.

When I first put my s88's to work I had considerable problems getting anything to happen at all - they would just give up once more than about 2 inputs were energised. However, the tip about connecting the T contact to ground (brown) in the thread above solved that but now too much is happening! In the normal state, with no inputs to the s88's everything is fine, but as I energise more and more inputs, my CS2 starts to issue random commands to signals and points, apparently triggered by random inputs from the s88's. I have just turned everyting off as I was surrounded by signals going up and down and points going back and forth at random with no trains moving and me not touching anything.

Before I go into lots of detail about how my signals, points, s88's, k83's and CS2 are configured, I need to ask three questions as I may have made a simple mistake -
1) Is it correct that only one s88 unit needs to be tied down to ground (brown wire) via the T-connector or should every s88 be grounded in this way? (I have tried grounding all 4 of them and it doesn't seem to make any difference, but I have to ask the question.)
2) Should the inputs to an s88 from the devices they are monitoring be fed from ground (brown wire) or live (red wire)?
3) Are s88 units susceptible to noise pick up and if so how do you deal with it?

I am assuming that it is the s88's that are causing the problems rather than my CS2 because I get no issues when the s88 channels are quiet, and also the CS2 appears to be behaving in the way that I have programmed it. However, I have shown my CS2 configuration details under my signature in case this is significant.

If anybody has had this or anything similar happen to them I will be very grateful if they can explain how they dealt with it.

Many thanks in advance, as always.
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
Offline Fredrik  
#2 Posted : 15 November 2011 21:13:44(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
Hi Robert,

well I just got my CS2 back from repair (and actually got another unit in return), and this one is (off-course) updated to the last SW-issue (1.6.4(3)). With this unit I can NOT have the "T" connected to ground since that causes the "mess" you describe. Thus I've now disconnected this connection and it works fine again. My new unit is a 60214 and I guess it has the "passthrough" ground connection and that might be why it now works without this connection (NOTE: this is my own assumption!)

Therefore my suggestion is: Put out a few S88-monitoring components in a layout-window of the CS2 and see what happens with one "t"-connection connected to ground (brown) and compare to what happens iwthout this connection. When reaction of S88:s is normal then the current state of this connection is the correct one.

If "T" is to be connected to ground then only one should be connected.

I always connect my S88 outputs to ground ("0"), but a connection also to "B" is possible (or at least was possible with the 602x central).

For the 3:rd question I'd say: Not the S88-units themselves - but the cable is, considering you use the original flat type of cable. I now use twisted pair cables only!

Sorry about the "T"-connection confusion, but it seems somethings changed in the different versions of the CS2 (my previous one was a 60213).

/Fredrik
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
WWW: MJ-fjärren
Offline Nielsenr  
#3 Posted : 15 November 2011 21:30:32(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Hey Robert,

I'll give you my opinion to your questions.

1) As far as I know, you only have to connect one T connector. It may be because I have a 60213 CS2 that I don't seem to need to do this.

2) I always connect to an outside rail (brown wire). However I believe I have seen somewhere how to connect to the center rail, however I have never tried it. BTW, for consistency, I always choose to isolate the outer rail that is towards the inside of the layout.

3) S88 are very susceptible to noise, both in the connections between S88 units and out to the contact tracks. You may want to look at this site:

http://www.s88-n.eu/index-en.html

Basically, IMO, if you have a large distance to go with wiring between modules, the suggestion is to use some sort of twisted, shielded cable as opposed to the flat cable supplied with the Marklin units. You also want to keep the cabling from running parallel to power wires. Having said that, I have yet to see a problem. On my floor layout I am building wood modules for, I have run contact wiring over 25 feet using Cat 5e cable going through connectors where each module butts up to the next one and it seems to be going ok.

I have had a major problem the last two days. I also am using Cat 5e cable to carry the S88 control signal between modules. The first two are only about 10 feet apart across three modules. It worked fine. The next S88 unit is 8 modules away (maybe 20-25 feet. I was at a point of testing that module and apparently I screwed up the wiring between a couple of the modules. My CS2 started acting odd, it actually locked up and wouldn't do anything. Thought I had "broken" it. But late last night/early this morning I did a backup of my data then did a factory reset. Things with the CS seem to be ok now. I have reloaded my data and I am getting ready to start testing again.

You can also check some info at LDTs website about S88 modules. They talk about using diodes at the input to the S88 to help suppress noise. I think there have been some topics here on the Forum about that too.

Without knowing how you have everything connected, it is difficult to figure out what your problem is. From a troubleshooting point of view, I always go back to some simple starting point and slowly add things to see which connection starts to make things go wrong.

Ok, I have rambled on enough!! LOL!!

Good luck with your problem!!

Robert
Offline Robert Davies  
#4 Posted : 16 November 2011 01:30:11(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
Thanks to Fredrik and Robert for your help so far. This is what is really great about this board that there are so many people willing to share their experiences.

I am going to stick with earthing one s88 as without that very little works, which is worse than having too much working.

I only have one flat cable in use (from the CS2 to the first s88), otherwise I am using standard 0.5m and 2m extension cables which are twisted but not shielded. The distances between the units are not great (CS2->10cm->s88/1->150cm->s88/2->10cm->s88/3->50cm-> s88/4) but the cables do trail around the various 24V DC relays which are part of the set-up (which I did not mention earlier) so this may be where the noise is getting in and I will try rerouting them.

Neilsnr wrote:
BTW, for consistency, I always choose to isolate the outer rail that is towards the inside of the layout.

What do you mean by this, Robert? Why do you want to isolate one rail or do you mean that when you want an isolated section, you always put it in the outer rail?

I think that now may be the moment to explain just how I have got everything fixed up. If signalling is not your thing then don't read on!!!
1) Each signal has one button for every different route that leads from it, so to set a signal to proceed in a particular direction, you press the appropriate route button.
2) Pressing the route button picks a 24v minature relay which puts an input into the first s88 unit and this triggers the CS2 to set the particular route. Each route is set up in the CS2 to set the points to the correct position. Note that this just sets the points, it does not clear the signal.
3) I use Viessmann 4554 point motors which provide a positive electrical output depending on their position and each point motor is connected to a 5552 AC relay. Because the 5552 units only have a limited number of contacts, I use them to drive more 24v DC relays. When the points have moved to their correct position for the route, a feed passes through the various relay contacts into s88 no2 which says to the CS2 "Route set - Points lined".
4) I have another set of memory functions in the CS2 set up to clear the signals and this second s88 input triggers the CS2 to clear the signal to the appropriate indication.
5) As we know, Marklin signals have contacts on them for controlling track sections, but I use one of these contacts to provide a feed to s88 no3 which says to the CS2 "Signal cleared". This feed also passes through the point relays so this 'signal cleared" feed is specific to the route set.
6) This third s88 input triggers the CS2 to clear the appropriate distant signal (Vorsignal) to the correct indication.
7) Signals are turned to stop by trains occupying contact sections, but once again the feeds from these sections are routed via the point relays so that only the correct signals are turned to stop. These "Turn signal to stop" commands are sent to the CS2 via s88 no 4.

Why on earth is he doing all of this, you may ask?

Well, signalling is a particular interest of mine and all this overcomes some shortcomings of the CS2 and the Marklin way of doing things and makes it much more like the real thing. To me this is just as important as having the correct colour of handrails on a locomotive! Particularly -
1) Points are proved to be in the correct position before the signal can clear
2) Signals clear to the correct indication according to the direction in which the train will go
3) Distant signals only change once the signal to which they apply has been proved to have changed
4) Distant signals which apply to more than one stop signal take their indication from the correct stop signal
5) Contact tracks which can operate on several signals only operate on the correct one
6) All of this logic can (and will) be driven by a proper interlocking which prevents conflicting routes being set and thus stops train crashes on the layout.

One day, when all of this starts to take shape on my "proper" layout (as opposed to my test setup), I promise I will post pictures of it all, including the model-form SpDrS route-setting signalling control panels. However, for the moment I am confined to a good, old-fashioned "lash-up"!

If you have got this far, then thanks for reading and keep the helpful tips coming. I am always greatful.
Robert
Era III - IV
Offline Nielsenr  
#5 Posted : 16 November 2011 02:50:15(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Hey Robert,

From you explanation, I thought I was the only one who likes to over complicate things!! LOL!!

What I meant from my comment is that yes, I always isolate one of the outer rails (brown wire). But not only that, I always isolate the brown wire rail that is closest to the inside of the layout. No reason for it other than to be consistent and to make troubleshooting a little easier.

Good luck with your layout!!

Robert
Offline clapcott  
#6 Posted : 16 November 2011 09:05:15(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
FWIW

Quote:
1) Is it correct that only one s88 unit needs to be tied down to ground (brown wire) via the T-connector or should every s88 be grounded in this way?

Only one is needed and only then if there is no internal connection to the Central Station (6021 dosn't need it CS1 does, CS2 your mileagge may vary)

Quote:
2) Should the inputs to an s88 from the devices they are monitoring be fed from ground (brown wire) or live (red wire)?

Brown !
Red will appear to work as the digital signal passes through 0V as it pulses between +22v to -22v. The issue with this is that the s88 sampling "may" poll at different times of the pulse resulting in multiple triggers.

Quote:
3) Are s88 units susceptible to noise pick up and if so how do you deal with it?

I have found the inputs from sensors to the s88s very tolerant while IIRC somewhere Marklin has indicated that the flat grey cable between s88s should not be more than 2m. Personally I have all my s88s close to the controller with as short a cable as possible, and then run Cat5 cables out to the layout (providing nodes of 8 inputs).

Other points in this thread
- I , too, isolate the "Inner" rail of any curve I use as a contact track. Any small loco that "leans" due to centripetal forces may loose contact with the inner rail and stop if the outer is used as a sensor and does not provide a brown return for power. I can live with bouncing sensor, I can't live with a loco stopping/stuttering.

- The connector to the track from the CS1/CS2 has reversed polarity over time. Any modern loco dosn't care so it appears to work. However if you connect the s88 earth to the rail when it is actually the Red you will get unpredictable results.

- Similarly if the plug on the s88 grey cable is damaged such that one wire is not connecting you may also observe unpredictable results if more than 1 sensor is activating because of an invalid ground reference. usually seen as all inputs showing active.

- The "T" people talk about should more appropriately be called an "upsidedown T" as it is a stunted variant of the "ground" (masse) symbol

- I suggest architecting your layout so that locos do not stop and hold a sensor active unless you know you have interlocking safety logic. For example, a train in a ladderyard which enters and triggers another train as it comes to rest on top of a sensor, may inadvertantly re-trigger the same sensor to pulse as it jolts to move off next time.
Peter
Offline Robert Davies  
#7 Posted : 16 November 2011 21:07:43(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
Thank you Peter for all that very useful information.

You wrote:
Personally I have all my s88s close to the controller with as short a cable as possible, and then run Cat5 cables out to the layout (providing nodes of 8 inputs).

Can you give me a bit more information on this please as this sounds to be exactly what I will want in the long term? How do you join the Cat 5 cable to the s88?

I had a bit of a fiddle around today and reran all of the s88 cables to keep them away from the relays to try to reduce noise pickup, but if anything, things got worse. However, quite by chance I found a bad connection inside one of my k83 units on the brown wire - so bad in fact that the connector has now fallen off the PC board inside the k83.

I will solder it back on when I get the chance and try again, but I wonder if the bad contact was causing arcing and hence lots of spurious pulses that were getting into the s88 chain via the T contact?

Further update to follow in a day or two.
Robert
Era III - IV
Offline Nielsenr  
#8 Posted : 17 November 2011 04:44:51(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
Robert,

I will give you my answer to the cat 5 question. Here is the US we have chains of large mega-hardware stores such as Lowes and Home Depot. In the electrical section, they sell bulk cat 5 cable in different lengths, 50 feet, 100 feet, 500 feet, 1000 feet. I usually buy 100 feet for around US$30. The cable comes with no connectors on them for people who are doing installs of the cables through walls or attics. You can then add your own connectors. I had used it when I wired my entire house for Ethernet.

The cable as you probably know, is 4 pairs of twisted cable, giving you eight total wires in the sheath. When I want to run multiple cables from one location to another, I use this cable cut to the length I need. Then just strip back the sheath and strip off the ends of the four pairs and connect them like any other wire. I use terminal strips a lot. For S88s, I just screwed Marklins little connectors on (boy, do I hate them ... LOL!!). I also have some S88s from LDT and then it is just a matter screwing them down on the terminal strips.

Although most cat 5 I find is solid, I have gotten a small roll of stranded cat 5 from a hobby electronics supply store. Haven't used any of it yet.

If you can't find bulk cable, I guess you could buy a ready made cable and cut the ends off ... might be a little more expensive that way.

Good luck!!

Robert
Offline Robert Davies  
#9 Posted : 22 December 2012 19:42:18(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
On the 16th November 2011 I said that I would follow up my last posting in a couple of days. Well, 1 year, 1 month and a couple of days later here finally is the update!

I did not post anything before because no matter what I did the problem would not go away. I completely rewired all the controlling circuitry, replaced all the Marklin signals with Viessmann and even tried a 60215 CS2 instead of a 60214. No difference - signals and points kept changing at random all over the place.

I spotted the thread about the long-awaited firmware and software upgrades to the CS2 finally having arrived and saw that one item in the Changelog was "S88-Event-Doppelmeldungen am CAN-Bus behoben" ("S88 multiple triggering on CAN bus fixed" - Thank you, Graafjp), so ever hopeful I updated my two CS2's to the new version 2.2.0 and Yippee - problem gone away!! So if anyone has problems with s88's apparently behaving eratically or appearing to send multiple inputs for the same event or a CS2 apparently responding more than once to the same s88 input, upgrade to v2.2.0 quickly.

Finally, there was some discussion earlier in the thread as to how many s88's need "earthing" via the 'T' connection. Well, I have connected all 4 s88's currently required together in this way with no bad effects, as I am sure this helps with noise supression (particularly as they are in the vicinity of relays).

I will have a really Happy Christmas now, and I hope all the loyal subscribers to this wonderful board do likewise.

Edited by user 25 December 2012 01:51:09(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Robert
Era III - IV
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Robert Davies
Offline et1  
#10 Posted : 22 December 2012 23:04:44(UTC)
et1

United States   
Hello Robert,

Originally Posted by: Robert Davies Go to Quoted Post

One day, when all of this starts to take shape on my "proper" layout (as opposed to my test setup), I promise I will post pictures of it all, including the model-form SpDrS route-setting signalling control panels. However, for the moment I am confined to a good, old-fashioned "lash-up"!

After 1 year, 1 month and a couple of days, "proper" layout achieved? I would definitely be interested in pictures of it all.BigGrin

Aloha,

Elliott

Elliott
CS2 4.1.2 (3), CS 2.04, 6021, 3x 60174 Boosters, L88, 2x 60881, 13x 6088(0) ,Windigipet 2015 Premium, Marklin K-track layout (in progress)
Offline Johnvr  
#11 Posted : 23 December 2012 08:38:52(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Robert,

Thanks for this interesting thread, and thanks for the update on finding the solution to the problem.

My upcoming summer holiday project is to build my first layout using s88 and contact tracks. Although I am still using 6021 and Keyboad and Memory, the opportunities for automation I think will be similar to your CS, but probably without some functionality. I have actually been using contact tracks for 20 years on M-track layouts, but with home grown electronics for automation for signal and turnout control.

Please keep us posted on your layout diagram and how you intend to use your s88 and automation.

Regards,BigGrin
John