Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dodger0325  
#1 Posted : 09 October 2011 04:49:43(UTC)
dodger0325

United States   
Hi all
I found this beautifull Marklin Hamo #8324 2 rail. I was wondering if it is at all possible to convert this beauty to digital 3 rail.
I still have 1 conversionset of #60760 which i think i could use (please correct me if i am wrong).I know you will BigGrin .
What other part numbers do i need like pickupshoe etc.
Could the members please explain to me what other steps i need to take if the conversion is at all possible.
As always thank you all in advance for any help you can offer me
RogerCool
Offline nevw  
#2 Posted : 09 October 2011 06:25:50(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Conversion is possible, rather easy, solder 4 wires together, fit a Permanant Magnet and Slider and a Decoder.

the wheel pickup wires to be soldered together.
Magnet changed, Slider fitted. FInd the 3 rail version of the loc and use that Slider.

Nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nevw
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 09 October 2011 07:09:11(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
If you are going to use computer control or contact tracks then you also need real AC wheels, otherwise the loco will be invisible to the computer and it will stop on contact tracks with the earth missing from the wrong side..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline eroncelli  
#4 Posted : 10 October 2011 14:12:53(UTC)
eroncelli

Italy   
No need for AC wheels: just connect together the cables from wheels pick-ups (2 or 4 depending on the loco).
Eugenio
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by eroncelli
Offline xxup  
#5 Posted : 11 October 2011 00:07:26(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: eroncelli Go to Quoted Post
No need for AC wheels: just connect together the cables from wheels pick-ups (2 or 4 depending on the loco).
Eugenio

It does not work unless the pickup contact running is on the inside of the wheel.. On some Hamos is is on the axle with one wheel linked to the axle and the other is isolated from the axle..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by xxup
Offline kbvrod  
#6 Posted : 11 October 2011 00:41:56(UTC)
kbvrod

United States   
Hi all,
Conductive paint : http://www.busch-modell.de/katalog/e/artikel/5900-h0.htm

Or NeoLube #2

Dr D
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kbvrod
Offline eroncelli  
#7 Posted : 11 October 2011 08:50:33(UTC)
eroncelli

Italy   
Just to be simple: in DC operation, 1 wheel (or set of wheels on 1 side) is connected to, say, "plus" and the other (on the other side of the loco) to "minus"; otherwise the motor couldn't run
When you convert to AC operation, you connect both wires from the wheels (both sides) together and the center pick-up (added) is the second connection.
Thus, whatever the isolation on wheels, they are "short-circuited" with this connection and, hence, no need for ac wheels (unless you ave problems with the "shape" of the wheels, that is slightly different in Maerklin system)
Eugenio
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by eroncelli
Offline cookee_nz  
#8 Posted : 11 October 2011 12:59:46(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: eroncelli Go to Quoted Post
Just to be simple: in DC operation, 1 wheel (or set of wheels on 1 side) is connected to, say, "plus" and the other (on the other side of the loco) to "minus"; otherwise the motor couldn't run
When you convert to AC operation, you connect both wires from the wheels (both sides) together and the center pick-up (added) is the second connection.
Thus, whatever the isolation on wheels, they are "short-circuited" with this connection and, hence, no need for ac wheels (unless you ave problems with the "shape" of the wheels, that is slightly different in Maerklin system)
Eugenio

Hi Eugenio,

I wonder if you may be missing a detail here because there are no 'wires' from the wheels to connect. The Hamo version has a wiper which rubs against the inside of the insulated wheels, but this wiper must be removed to fit the pickup shoe, which leaves those wheels electrically isolated from the rest of the loco. The other side is ok because the electrical path is through the wheel/axle, and the chassis.

Conductive paint is one option but cannot be applied to the driving wheels, only the non-powered bogie. Just replacing the non-powered bogie with an AC one may be simpler and more reliable

Cheers

Steve
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline nevw  
#9 Posted : 11 October 2011 23:44:46(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Steve,
The wipers (on each wheel end up being connected to wires, one to each side of the motor. I left them in place. On the centre of the unpowered truck there is a Screwed in bump for switch activation. the slider is screwed there and run the wire up.

Nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nevw