Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline zebra300760  
#1 Posted : 30 August 2011 22:24:32(UTC)
zebra300760

Hi

I've just come across a (almost) pristine C-Sine 39710 ICE-S from the late 90's. Unfortunately there was no Instructions Manual with the unit.

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to see if there is any copies of the manual floating around. I would like a copy as it gives the information regarding spare parts and setups of the decoder, etc.

Thanking all in advance
Regards
Peter
Offline pn  
#2 Posted : 30 August 2011 22:43:30(UTC)
pn

Portugal   
Hi,

I could not find any item in the Märklin products database with the reference you provided but there's a similar one numbered 39711.
Please check if this helps http://www.maerklin.de/s....php?artikelnummer=39711

Regards,
Pedro
Offline Nielsenr  
#3 Posted : 30 August 2011 23:30:00(UTC)
Nielsenr

United States   
I found the 39710 ICE-S in the 1999/2000 catalog. It appears the ICE-S was a development and test train between the ICE 2 and the ICE 3. The 39711 was an ICE 1, so I am not sure it would share parts with the 39710.

Robert
Offline Markus Schild  
#4 Posted : 31 August 2011 00:13:16(UTC)
Markus Schild

Germany   
Hi Peter and anyone interested,

Send me a PM with your E-Mail-adress and I will forward you a scan of the leaflet.

Regards

Markus
Offline zebra300760  
#5 Posted : 31 August 2011 01:24:37(UTC)
zebra300760

Hi

Markus, I have PM'd you with my email details.

The unit is a 39710 ICE-S from around 1999. It was a test unit for the, then new, C-sine motor and decoder.

The coaches had their red/pink stripes replaced with Orange/Yellow and ICE-S painted on the side. Information suggests that the production run was about 6000 units.

Coaches have couplers that connect power through, and at least one coach has a decoder for lights and what looks like a minature speaker.

The tailing loco seems to have a type os reversing mechanism, but no motor that I can tell. Each end has a pickup shoe and it looks like current is only picked up from the leading end loco.

I'm a bit hazy on what it actually has because I only received yesterday and there was no manual, hence my initial requests. I need to do some basic maintenance before letting it loose.

Thanks all for the input. If anyone has further info regarding this set.

Regards
Peter
Offline supermoee  
#6 Posted : 31 August 2011 08:52:41(UTC)
supermoee

Switzerland   
Hello Peter,

this train was a special edition for Märklin Insider to test the C-
sine enginge. Who wanted to buy it needed to order it and the trains were sorted out between all the requests because og the small production volume.

Since it is a C-sine, the only maintenance you need is the lubrification of axles, change of rubber tires and pick up shoe. For this every manual of a Märklin ICE should show you what to do. Only the engine and the decoder are differents. Even the transmission should be the same, since the C-Sine is using the same gear boogie then the old 5 pole motor, just by addiing an intermediate frame to fixation of the C-Sine.

rgds

Stephan
Offline Dave Banks  
#7 Posted : 31 August 2011 10:41:42(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
D.A.Banks
Offline zebra300760  
#8 Posted : 31 August 2011 14:06:20(UTC)
zebra300760

Hi All

As a further update to the 39710. Markus supplied me with a instruction leaflet not specifically for this unit, but it was very close and met my requirement perfectly. What was missing from this leaflet was that the 39710 also has sound. I needed to clean some dirt from one of the coaches and found that a small speaker and 701.22B decoder chip was mounted inside. On a 6021 f3= horn, f4= whistle(maybe bell). Makes me want to clean the others too. Address was set to '23' for the sound coach and '24' for loco.

Interestingly also, I checked the E 1999/2000 catalog (page 112) and it makes no mention of the additional decoder in one of the coaches and fails to mention anything about sound !

Regards
Peter
Offline Nigel Packer  
#9 Posted : 31 August 2011 16:59:11(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
Hi Peter,

The 39710 did not have sound, and had only one decoder. And its default address is 21.

So yours has been "upgraded" by somebody!

These sets were quite sought-after at the time (1999), and, in the UK at least, there was a lottery to decide which Insider members would be able to buy one, as the offer was over-subscribed.

Each set is laser-etched with a serial number (on the base of the driving coach), and the box should have a label with the same number.

The set came with a test questionnaire, and required customers to perform various running tests on a layout and report the results to Märklin. The reward for doing this was the gift of a Märklin Digital Multimeter (part number 171600). This means (for collectors) that unused examples of the set are very rare!

It's an interesting set, and the only time that I'm aware of Märklin publicly asking customers to test and criticise a new technology.

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
Offline steventrain  
#10 Posted : 31 August 2011 22:21:21(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
First loco with C-shine?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline zebra300760  
#11 Posted : 31 August 2011 22:38:46(UTC)
zebra300760

Hi Nigel and to all.

I've checked and there is a laser etched serial number on the power loco and it matches the number of the box, so I'm happy about that. It was late in the run of 6000. There was no CoA

I can now see that the coach with sound looks like it has been upgraded. I can see that the end wall of the interior has have been filed slightly to accomodate a PCB that is 1 or 2 mm longer than what it should be. If the interior and PCB were acquired from a donor coach, however, I'd expect that the interior would not need filing, so I'm thinking that the interior is original, but it does have a proper mount for the speaker !

The PCB has a P/N of 603646 and is dated (I think) 03/2000. It does the interior lighting as well as the sound function.

The soldering on the PCB and couplers look consistent with what you'd expect to be machine soldering - very hi quality, so if the coach has been upgraded, it is of high standard - apart from the filing of the end wall of the coach.

Maybe the plot thickens, or I have 1 of a kind.

Pickup shoes show only mimimal wear, and the wheels and flanges show no wear also. Historically it was from a deceased estate and was not used 'much'.

Again thanks everyone for giving me input regarding this model.

Regards
Peter
zebra300760 attached the following image(s):
DSC00573 (Custom).JPG
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 31 August 2011 22:51:02(UTC)
H0

There was an ICE 3 coach with sound.
It was already mentioned that the real ICE-S was used to test prototypes of the powered ICE 3 coaches.

Pure speculation, but maybe that's where the sound module is from.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline cookee_nz  
#13 Posted : 18 December 2015 20:48:39(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Nigel Packer Go to Quoted Post
Hi Peter,

The 39710 did not have sound, and had only one decoder. And its default address is 21.

So yours has been "upgraded" by somebody!

These sets were quite sought-after at the time (1999), and, in the UK at least, there was a lottery to decide which Insider members would be able to buy one, as the offer was over-subscribed.

Each set is laser-etched with a serial number (on the base of the driving coach), and the box should have a label with the same number.

The set came with a test questionnaire, and required customers to perform various running tests on a layout and report the results to Märklin. The reward for doing this was the gift of a Märklin Digital Multimeter (part number 171600). This means (for collectors) that unused examples of the set are very rare!

It's an interesting set, and the only time that I'm aware of Märklin publicly asking customers to test and criticise a new technology.

Nigel

Hi Nigel, always fun resurrecting an old thread.....

I have just acquired an early Christmas pressie, a 39710 set which was listed as not working along with an ICE3 37780 set - the ICE3 has blown drivers on the Decoder so that will be set aside for now, I don't have surface-mount soldering gear and prefer to entrust this to the local expert.

Back to the Sinus set, I have two questions.

Regarding the numbering, the Powered Card has the number "0741" in white lettering underneath, whereas the box has a small label with the number "4912" (see photo) - is this the numbers being referred to? - if so it would appear there has been a swap at some time and I'm sure whoever has the other Car or Box lid would like them correct.

Second question, isolated the first problem and now have the consist working but found that the interior lights don't work and it fails if you try to reverse. I've now narrowed this down to the first intermediate car (410-202-6) which follows the Powered Car and with this car removed, I get normal forward and reverse, plus interior lights. With the intermediate car added it will drive forward, but no interior lights and if I try to reverse the whole thing dies until I remove this car and reconnect the consist without it.

I have had the 'normal' ICE 2 3770 for many years so I know the reversing requires both ends to be coupled and it's clear the issue lies in the intermediate car. I have checked and confirmed continuity from the coupling contacts through to the LED Bd so there's no broken wires and even though the couplings look ok I am still pretty much 99% certain that's where the problem lies.

This is a work in progress this morning so I hope to nail it soon but thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Oh, and there was talk about the instructions - does anyone have a scan of the actual 39710 instruction leaflet they could email me? (and the 37780 as well)

Cheers

Cookee

ICE2-Sinus-Number-(0741vs4912).jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Nigel Packer  
#14 Posted : 18 December 2015 23:40:45(UTC)
Nigel Packer

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post

I have just acquired an early Christmas pressie, a 39710 set which was listed as not working along with an ICE3 37780 set - the ICE3 has blown drivers on the Decoder so that will be set aside for now, I don't have surface-mount soldering gear and prefer to entrust this to the local expert.

Regarding the numbering, the Powered Card has the number "0741" in white lettering underneath, whereas the box has a small label with the number "4912" (see photo) - is this the numbers being referred to? - if so it would appear there has been a swap at some time and I'm sure whoever has the other Car or Box lid would like them correct.

Second question, isolated the first problem and now have the consist working but found that the interior lights don't work and it fails if you try to reverse. I've now narrowed this down to the first intermediate car (410-202-6) which follows the Powered Car and with this car removed, I get normal forward and reverse, plus interior lights. With the intermediate car added it will drive forward, but no interior lights and if I try to reverse the whole thing dies until I remove this car and reconnect the consist without it.

I have had the 'normal' ICE 2 3770 for many years so I know the reversing requires both ends to be coupled and it's clear the issue lies in the intermediate car. I have checked and confirmed continuity from the coupling contacts through to the LED Bd so there's no broken wires and even though the couplings look ok I am still pretty much 99% certain that's where the problem lies.

This is a work in progress this morning so I hope to nail it soon but thought I'd throw it out there anyway.

Oh, and there was talk about the instructions - does anyone have a scan of the actual 39710 instruction leaflet they could email me? (and the 37780 as well)

Cheers

Cookee

ICE2-Sinus-Number-(0741vs4912).jpg

Hi Cookee,

Yes, those numbers should be the same if you have a matching set and box.

I'll try and scan the 39710 instruction leaflet for you, but I'm a bit busy for the next few days! I have many ICEs, but 37780 is not one of them, I'm afraid.

It sounds likely that there's a problem with one of your couplings. You'll probably have to work it through methodically until you find it. I have a 39710 set that runs on my layout, which is the one that I tested for Märklin and reported on, and it works well. I also have a new and unused one, that wasn't tested for Märklin!

Best wishes,

Nigel
Märklin collector since age 5.
H0 Collection from 1935 to today.
Offline cookee_nz  
#15 Posted : 18 December 2015 23:49:15(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Nigel Packer Go to Quoted Post

Cheers

Cookee

Hi Cookee,

Yes, those numbers should be the same if you have a matching set and box.

I'll try and scan the 39710 instruction leaflet for you, but I'm a bit busy for the next few days! I have many ICEs, but 37780 is not one of them, I'm afraid.

It sounds likely that there's a problem with one of your couplings. You'll probably have to work it through methodically until you find it. I have a 39710 set that runs on my layout, which is the one that I tested for Märklin and reported on, and it works well. I also have a new and unused one, that wasn't tested for Märklin!

Best wishes,

Nigel

Hi again Nigel,

Ok, we're all sorted.

1: I did have the instructions afterall, idiot me never looked in the bottom under the polystyrene - doh!! But they don't have the set number on them, just says "ICE S" but definitely the right one.

2: Already found the coupling problem. Was in the shower pondering it (as you do) and realised the simple solution - with a fine flat file gently cleaned the inside face of the copper tab where it overlaps the tab on the powered car female coupling, problem solved. All interior LED's working and reversing smoothly. I am a happy camper indeed and very glad I took a punt on the auction. I LOVE the Sinus drive, this is my second item with it, I already have the Catenary Maintenance Railcar which also has it and they run sooo smoooothly.

If a retro-kit was produced to change the brush motors to Sinus I would love to convert a few others.

Have a great Christmas

Regards
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 26 January 2021 10:13:16(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Regarding the numbering, the Powered Card has the number "0741" in white lettering underneath......

Haha Cookee, talk about a coincidence....!

I've got you know who's 39710 set here and it has number 0740 on the loco and box. Did you notice that when you packed it up?
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz