Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ChrisP  
#1 Posted : 07 July 2011 08:39:16(UTC)
ChrisP

As I gradually unpack from long-term storage, clean and test my equipment I've run into a problem with a 7186 turntable. Having removed the housing I can see that there is power to it - the switching clicks and whirrs (I'm not very technical I'm afraid) but the motor doesn't turn. Any suggestions for restoring it would be very welcome.

Chris
Offline kariosls37  
#2 Posted : 07 July 2011 11:49:37(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
Do you have the wiring diagram? When I first got my TT I didn't know how to wire it properly, which caused a lot of headaches for me.

If it's all wired up correctly, depress the lever on the side and move it so it's somewhere between the tracks. This will activate the motor once you turn on the power.
Some things to look out for are:
Motor brushes - If they are worn or missing, replace them. They are the same as the flat commutator motors on Marklin locos.
wiper contacts - push down on the bridge near to the springs on the opposide of the track from the motor. They can occasionally lose contact.
It might be a good idea to see if the motor can turn.

This is all I can think of without taking a screwdriver to the turntable, but it is a start.

Good luck

Rick
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kariosls37
Offline Renato  
#3 Posted : 08 July 2011 16:42:02(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Chris,

Try to move manually the rotor of the motor: if it is hard to move it, I suggest you to oil with a drop of oil both supports of the motor.
It happened to me with a 7051 crane (bought on eBay) which stayed for a long time on the shop shelf: the motor did not run, so I opened the motor, cleaned the rotor shaft, closed again the motor and finally oiled the two supports of the rotor; now it works flawlessy as new!

Cheers

Renato
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Renato
Offline 60904  
#4 Posted : 08 July 2011 18:37:08(UTC)

Germany   
Originally Posted by: ChrisP Go to Quoted Post
As I gradually unpack from long-term storage, clean and test my equipment I've run into a problem with a 7186 turntable. Having removed the housing I can see that there is power to it - the switching clicks and whirrs (I'm not very technical I'm afraid) but the motor doesn't turn. Any suggestions for restoring it would be very welcome.

Chris

UserPostedImage

I hope this picture will help you. Very often the contact for starting the motor is not working properly
Greetings
Martin
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by 60904
Offline jumans  
#5 Posted : 09 September 2012 12:08:51(UTC)
jumans

Sorry I could not see the image can we try again.

Julian
Offline guiverc  
#6 Posted : 11 September 2012 17:13:05(UTC)
guiverc

Australia   
Originally Posted by: 60904 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ChrisP Go to Quoted Post

Chris

UserPostedImage

I hope this picture will help you. Very often the contact for starting the motor is not working properly

Thank you for picture.
Haven't tried working my old 7186 turntable yet - may come in handy.
Anyway was STUNNED Blushing as I didn't remember it having a globe in it - though could be I didn't like the effect & replaced it with dead globe.

Thanks 60904.