Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Johnvr  
#1 Posted : 15 May 2011 08:34:29(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
During the Model Railway Convention in Cape Town last month, I gathered contact details of people interested in forming a Cape Town Marklin Club. The idea is that we visit each others' houses on a once-a-month basis, and demonstrate what we have been working on. So far, we have got about 10 people interested.

The first visit will be in May month to my house, and it will take place next Saturday. I shall demonstrate my working Shunting Yard in M-Track, a C-Track layout, installing Digital/Delta decoders into old analog locos, some Model Railway electronics including my random traffic router, and people can watch videos of my visits to the Goppingen Museum.

The June visit will be to a colleague who has a garage layout, including Shunting Yard puzzles and other layout circuits. He is currently almost ready for us, but the impending visit will encourage him to get those last things done !

The July visit has been arranged to spend the day on a farm near Franschoek about 40km out of Cape Town. We shall operate some trains, then have a South African barbecue for lunch, then operate more trains in the afternoon !

Seems like everyone is quite excited. Many of us have been hobbying on our own for a while, but the opportunity to form a club and visit other layouts appeals to all of us !!

Regards,Blink BigGrin
John
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline nevw  
#2 Posted : 15 May 2011 09:29:30(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Views messages in topic : 11,071
That great John,
Having like minded Marklinistas around makes the difference otherwise it can be a lonely hobby.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Ian555  
#3 Posted : 15 May 2011 12:37:18(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi John,

Sounds great, if only I was a little bit nearer. Smile

Ian.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline steventrain  
#4 Posted : 15 May 2011 13:24:40(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Good luck with your new Club.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#5 Posted : 15 May 2011 20:30:10(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Its gonna be such fun!! Thanx John for the organizing thus far....Joe
Offline petestra  
#6 Posted : 15 May 2011 21:23:15(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi John, sounds like fun! If it weren't for the 15,866 mile round trip Scared I'd be there!
If any one of you feels like it perhaps you can make a utube of your get-together.
Have fun! PeterThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline Johnvr  
#7 Posted : 19 May 2011 17:15:24(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Pete,

Thanks, we would also make the trip round your way if it wasn't so far ..
Anyway, this has got me going with some preparations. I'll have my M-Track Shunting Yard and a small C-Track layout, also I shall be exhibiting my father's HO Hornby Clockwork set from pre-war time.
But Saturday is close by and I'm still getting ready ..

I'll make sure we get some photos, but this picture shows the preparatory work earlier this week :

UserPostedImage

Regards,BigGrin
John
Offline petestra  
#8 Posted : 19 May 2011 19:47:10(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Hi John and thanks for the preview! If I were still with the airlines I might have made the trip so I could have then said I did something spontaneous in my life. It looks great and I'm sure it will be fun. PeterThumpUp Smile ThumpUp
Offline Alfa V8  
#9 Posted : 22 May 2011 20:27:07(UTC)
Alfa V8

Originally Posted by: Johnvr Go to Quoted Post
During the Model Railway Convention in Cape Town last month, I gathered contact details of people interested in forming a Cape Town Marklin Club. The idea is that we visit each others' houses on a once-a-month basis, and demonstrate what we have been working on. So far, we have got about 10 people interested.
John

That's great news John, we have a similar system in Johannesburg, works fine, enjoy it BigGrin

Hannes
Every day provides new opertunities. H0 mostly Marklin, still using my 6021, LGB in Gauge 1, live steam in larger gauges.
Offline Johnvr  
#10 Posted : 22 May 2011 21:55:32(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Marklin enthusiasts from Cape Town gathered together on Saturday afternoon to start a new Marklin club. The purpose of the club is to get together once a month at somebody’s house on a rotational basis to see what people are constructing on their layouts.

I hosted the first visit, and showed my HO Shunting Yard in M-Track, a small C-Track layout, my father’s Hornby O guage, and some home electronics. Here are some pictures for you :

In the picture enjoying the Marklin afternoon are : Terry, Anton, Jacques, Joe, John, James, Paul, Paul, and Reuben.

UserPostedImage

My father’s clockwork Hornby trains. Note the hole in the side of the engine for the key. Also note the two manual control levers, one for speed control and one for direction. I am sure Ian and David and others would enjoy the “Royal Scot”, showing its national colour :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

General view of the small C-Track layout, a double oval with an inner branch line. I used R1 and R2 and R3 on the curve, with curved turnouts to maintain the parallel :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

My 2 x DA800 and 3005 in formation. I fitted Delta Decoders in these locomotives from the 1950s and 1960s :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Borsig and ICE and DB103 take the turns at the top of the oval :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Old DB passenger wagons. Due to rust, I had to re-spray the roof tops :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

General pictures :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

One last spin of the evening after all the guests had departed :

UserPostedImage

I’m not sure whether some of you have un-wrapped model trains previously wrapped in newspaper which have been stored away for years, but it’s always interesting to see the date on the newspapers of the wrapping. This one wrapping is from December 1972 and was used to wrap my father’s Hornby :
UserPostedImage

Paul brought along two of his Marklin classics :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Next month we shall be visiting Paul’s house to see his layout around his garage and his Shunting Puzzle layout. Also there was some discussion on the subject of building “Modules” for a large connected layout at some stage, so we'll have to see how that works out.

I think we all had a good time, and look forward to the next meeting on 16th June at Paul's house.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures,
Regards,
Offline nevw  
#11 Posted : 23 May 2011 01:46:34(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Views messages in topic : 11,071
Great Paul.
NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline Ian555  
#12 Posted : 23 May 2011 08:01:14(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi John,

That's great getting some guy's together to talk Märklin. ThumpUp

The clockwork Loco's look really good.

Thanks for the photo's.

Ian.

Offline ammannpaul  
#13 Posted : 23 May 2011 08:37:23(UTC)
ammannpaul

South Africa   
Thanks John for hosting us and a great start to the club.

Kind regards

Paul
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by ammannpaul
Offline steventrain  
#14 Posted : 23 May 2011 10:08:45(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Excellent team, Johnvr.ThumpUp
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#15 Posted : 23 May 2011 12:21:00(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Thanks SO much John, a great time was had by all - and some very useful info for me as a newbie to digital!!
Joe
Offline petestra  
#16 Posted : 23 May 2011 12:24:09(UTC)
petestra

United States   
Great photos, John. Seems like you all had a fun time of it! Thanks for sharing
your train day! Cheers,PeterThumpUp ThumpUp
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by petestra
Offline ac jacko  
#17 Posted : 31 May 2011 09:57:30(UTC)
ac jacko

Great Stuff Guys and looks like a lot of knowledge being available

cheers
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by ac jacko
Offline Johnvr  
#18 Posted : 17 June 2011 14:16:10(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Our second Cape Town Marklin Club meeting was held yesterday (it was a Holiday in South Africa) !

Paul and his son Andrew hosted us on a range of Shunting Puzzles and layout operations.

"Everybody seemed to find things of interest in your various layouts and puzzles. I particularly enjoyed your "Inglenook" shunting yard ! I think I partially solved the two trains approaching each other, but you helped me with a clue to try it with one wagon only, instead of three. The models brought by other members were fantastic too, the 3015 Croc and the black Croc, the GG1, and the yellow engine with the roof gadgets, to name a few. Perhaps we also needed to have more time on the “module” discussions."

Thanks, Paul !
Offline Johnvr  
#19 Posted : 12 August 2011 23:36:39(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
The Cape Town Marklin Club has been active by some interesting visits to the homes of Marklin enthusiasts to see their layouts, and we were fortunate to have been invited by Jacues to visit the friendly village of Franschoek (translated means "a corner of France") where he refreshed us with local "Boerewors Rolls" and treaties. Jacques has been collecting Marklin since 1964 and has a wonderful collection of old models. Here are some pictures from Jacques :

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

This week we also used a Bank Holiday on Tuesday (Women's Day in South Africa) to visit James' house and then Terry's house. James "two wires" has a fabulous collection of digital locomotives running, while Terry has recently converted from Z-Scale to HO-scale, so is preparing his layout for further scenic additions.

In the following picture, Joe (right) is chatting to Andrew (middle) and James (left) :

UserPostedImage

Here is the gravity-fed marshalling yard which Terry uses for his train wagon compliation :

UserPostedImage

Looking on are Patrick (Stimela) (left) and Reuben (right) :
UserPostedImage

Have to admit that we are very fortunate to have gathered folks interested in sharing their layouts. It is so encouraging to be able to share your ideas and tips among Marklin friends.

Regards,BigGrin
John

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline KingBuick  
#20 Posted : 15 August 2011 00:43:00(UTC)
KingBuick

I used to live in Cape Town, South Africa back in 2005, but it was only for one year and it was when I hadn't gotten hooked to Märklin yet. I visited there in 2007 and in 2010. I went to the Märklin dealer in one of the suburbs, close to Constantia. I think he's the only Märklin dealer in Cape Town.

If only I lived there again... Then I could be a member of your Märklin club!

Cheers!

Tadzio.
Permanent C-Track Layout controlled with 60215 CS2 with version 1 software. Locos and rolling stock from Eras II-IV.
My YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/user/KingBuick/ .
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KingBuick
Twitter: https://twitter.com/King_Buick
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by KingBuick