Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Chris6382chris  
#1 Posted : 19 March 2011 16:07:35(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Hello all:

I just thought I would share a positive story about model railroading. Besides my professional career(where a suit all day) I am also a Reserve Fire Fighter where I live. As a result alot of time is spent in the evenings at the fire station talking about a bunch of different things. Well at some point my train layout came up and before you knew it I had several guys telling me how they had trains as a kid or always wanted to start a layout with their own children.

So recently I have been hosting tours and visits for a few of the fire fighters and their children. It has been a blast as the kids and the dads have really enjoyed the layout. It is funny, I am often very critical of my layout (something doesn't look as good as I had hoped or the engine is a little noisy or the paint on a building is a little off) but when I have the visitors come by they don't notice any of that. To them it is just so cool to see a world in minature and see the trains going into tunnels and coming out in different places, it is just alot of fun for them, which to me is really cool. I just recently ordered the Marklin BR 85 with sound and a smoke unit so once I have that running on my layout I am sure that will be a big hit for my new model railroading fans.

The other cool thing is a couple of the dads are now thinking of buying starter sets for their own use. Of course I try to explain the good and bad of Marklin (mostly good, very little bad)and the pros and cons of buying American trains vs. German trains but I am probably a bit biased. BigGrin

In any event I know I have exposed a whole new group to the world of Marklin and it has been fun doing so.

Chris
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Chris6382chris
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#2 Posted : 19 March 2011 23:14:24(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Originally Posted by: Chris6382chris Go to Quoted Post
Hello all:

I just thought I would share a positive story about model railroading. Besides my professional career(where a suit all day) I am also a Reserve Fire Fighter where I live. As a result alot of time is spent in the evenings at the fire station talking about a bunch of different things. Well at some point my train layout came up and before you knew it I had several guys telling me how they had trains as a kid or always wanted to start a layout with their own children.

So recently I have been hosting tours and visits for a few of the fire fighters and their children. It has been a blast as the kids and the dads have really enjoyed the layout. It is funny, I am often very critical of my layout (something doesn't look as good as I had hoped or the engine is a little noisy or the paint on a building is a little off) but when I have the visitors come by they don't notice any of that. To them it is just so cool to see a world in minature and see the trains going into tunnels and coming out in different places, it is just alot of fun for them, which to me is really cool. I just recently ordered the Marklin BR 85 with sound and a smoke unit so once I have that running on my layout I am sure that will be a big hit for my new model railroading fans.

The other cool thing is a couple of the dads are now thinking of buying starter sets for their own use. Of course I try to explain the good and bad of Marklin (mostly good, very little bad)and the pros and cons of buying American trains vs. German trains but I am probably a bit biased. BigGrin

In any event I know I have exposed a whole new group to the world of Marklin and it has been fun doing so.

Chris

Good on you Chris...well done!
let me know how the new BR 85 runs....I have the old analog model from the mid 80's, such a nice loco!
thanks
Joe
Offline Johnvr  
#3 Posted : 20 March 2011 11:09:35(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Chris,

That is such a nice story!
Everybody loves train sets, and see them go round and round. We are the priveledged ones who have made that investment and now get to reap the rewards. But it is so satisfying when other folks appreciate your hobby.

Regards,BigGrin
John
Offline Chris6382chris  
#4 Posted : 21 March 2011 06:34:20(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Joe:

My BR 85 should arrive this week and I can't wait. I will be sure to let you know how it runs and take pictures of it working on my layout.

John:

I couldn't agree more.

Chris
Offline spitzenklasse  
#5 Posted : 24 March 2011 15:46:44(UTC)
spitzenklasse

Firefighting is a huge commitment, weather full, or part time. A Michigan city is at risk of loosing it's entire department. They have no money to pay them anymore. This is due to tax revenue losses. Most of the automotive concerns are closed, or have moved offshore. It was suggested to have a volunteer fire dept. Fine, but where are the volunteers going to find jobs to pay their mortgages, taxes, have a car to get to the station in, and put food on their families tables? It is too cold there to have grape vinyards. It's not like their front yards, or back ones are big enough to farm in the summer either.
You should pull your resources, and build a layout in the station for your kids, and yourselves to enjoy. There is one there on a Nappa Valley vinyard, tht I plan to visit soon.