Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline xxup  
#1 Posted : 05 March 2011 09:36:36(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
A couple of years ago I purchased a converted Hamo 8328. The digital conversion was beautiful and it ran perfectly on the roller stand. One problem with the conversion is that the original DC wheels are on the loco. Can't be helped as it is not easy to remove these from the loco. However, my layout is computer controlled and has many contact tracks. So when then the loco goes over a contact section with the break on the left side it stops because there is no earth contact through the wheel to the decoder.

When you check the wheels there is current flow from one flange to the axle on one side only.. So what seems to be needed is a way to make contact between the axle on the other side and the flange.

Nev, the master procurer of odd things in Australia, managed to score me a small bottle of contact paint. So this afternoon I proceeded to paint the wheels. Unfortunately, it does not work.. I suspect the reason why it does not work is that the paint does not like the plastic hub on these wheels or the paint is too thin to provide enough of a circuit to provide enough current for it to run properly.

UserPostedImage

I don't want to sell the loco as it looks fantastic, so the only way out of this is to find a front bogie off a 3028.. Does anyone know where I can find one of these? Alternatively, does anyone have any ideas on how to solve this problem. Crying
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Bahn-an-arama  
#2 Posted : 05 March 2011 13:10:07(UTC)
Bahn-an-arama

Australia   
Adrian,

Not sure if this may work, but try on each bogie turning one wheel set around the other way.

Glenn
Offline xxup  
#3 Posted : 05 March 2011 13:36:36(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Bahn-an-arama Go to Quoted Post
...Not sure if this may work, but try on each bogie turning one wheel set around the other way.

I thought of this, but the problem is that the wheels are pressed onto the axle.. I don't have a suitable tool (mini puller I guess) to remove the wheel from the axle.. Further complicating the problem is that the plastic side pieces have been "welded" to the metal bogie so I have to break them off to remove the axle from the bogie.. If I have no other choice and I can find a suitable tool I will do this, but I don't really want to irreparably damage this loco..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline Lollo  
#4 Posted : 06 March 2011 00:14:06(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Hi Adrian,
Just looked at the parts for this on Marklin.de, and it seems only to show the AC apare parts.
This is the part No. for the complete Bogie. 228910(komplett)Drehgestell.
You could replace the boogie.
I have converted many Hamo loco's and have no issues with electrical contact.
I have allways used the original wheel slider contacts and made them common ground. This differs in tour case as you only have one slider contact point, where as many steam locs have two, one for each side of the isolated axles + & -.
Is the original slider contacts for the wheel still there? Also is the motor housing grounded?
As Glenn suggested you can reverse each axle. They should come off with a little gentle twisting & pulling.
Here is a link for a micro wheel puller. https://www.micromark.co...earchPhrase=wheel+puller
I know of a wheel press toolas well, but can not find the link. Will keep looking and post the link when I find it.
Regards,
Brian.
Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Lollo
Offline jvuye  
#5 Posted : 06 March 2011 06:53:38(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hello Adrian
If only you lived nearby..your problem would be solved in 5 minutes, and the time to have a beer together!!Wink
I have done this many times, with proper tools it is really easy!
Yes the answer is pulling the insulated wheels off and replacing them with "regular" ones.
If "regular" wheels are not available, I usually simply machine little brass bushings that I press into the wheels, and reassemble the lot.
Same result.
If you have no one nearby that has these capabilities...and feel adventurous BigGrin ...you could send me the whole bogie...it will come back as "regular" instead of "insulated", and it will not wobble!
Just a thought..
Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline nevw  
#6 Posted : 06 March 2011 07:19:07(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Hello Adrian
If only you lived nearby..your problem would be solved in 5 minutes, and the time to have a beer together!!Wink
Yes the answer is pulling the insulated wheels off and replacing them with "regular" ones.
If "regular" wheels are not available, I usually simply machine little brass bushings that I press into the wheels, and reassemble the lot.
Same result.
If you have no one nearby that has these capabilities...and feel adventurous BigGrin ...you could send me the whole bogie...it will come back as "regular" instead of "insulated", and it will not wobble!
Just a thought..
Cheers

I could bring it with me and We could do it over a glass or two of red or White or even both.

NN
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nevw
Offline kariosls37  
#7 Posted : 06 March 2011 08:11:26(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
I'm not familiar with the construction of these railcars, but could you just make a pick up to connect both left and righthand wheelsets? A bit of phosphor bronze wire would be the best, bearing on the backs of both wheels.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kariosls37
Offline xxup  
#8 Posted : 06 March 2011 08:54:47(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: nevw Go to Quoted Post
Hello Adrian
Same result.
Just a thought..
Cheers

I could bring it with me and We could do it over a glass or two of red or White or even both.

NN

Thanks Nev much appreciated.. I need to remember to do this before you leave in July.. It's too early now and we will lose the whole bogie in the next few months..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline xxup  
#9 Posted : 06 March 2011 09:01:16(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Lollo Go to Quoted Post
...This is the part No. for the complete Bogie. 228910(komplett)Drehgestell...

Hello Brian.. Thanks for the part number.. The local dealer doesn't have one and there's nothing on eBay at present - I have even been looking for 3028 "blaster" without much luck.. Marklin shows the part as unknown or no longer available..

The tool looks good too... More options anyway..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline xxup  
#10 Posted : 06 March 2011 09:03:49(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kariosls37 Go to Quoted Post
I'm not familiar with the construction of these railcars, but could you just make a pick up to connect both left and righthand wheelsets? A bit of phosphor bronze wire would be the best, bearing on the backs of both wheels.

Hmmm.. This is not a bad idea.. I have seen such a plate as a part on a wagon or loco.. If I could get the connection to the back of the wheels, then I might have a good chance here.. Maybe I could modify one of those plates that are used from passenger wagon lighting kits..

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Offline jvuye  
#11 Posted : 06 March 2011 09:20:44(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Hello Adrian
Same result.
Just a thought..
Cheers

NN

Thanks Nev much appreciated.. I need to remember to do this before you leave in July.. It's too early now and we will lose the whole bogie in the next few months..

Good idea!
In fact I am always looking for opportunities to play with my lathe...BigGrin and we'll have a second beer to your health Adrian!Laugh
Not to worry, I guarantee the work: we'll fix the bogie *before* we drink the beers!RollEyes
Cheers

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline xxup  
#12 Posted : 06 March 2011 11:18:59(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
Hello Adrian
Same result.
Just a thought..
Cheers

NN

Good idea!
In fact I am always looking for opportunities to play with my lathe...BigGrin and we'll have a second beer to your health Adrian!Laugh
Not to worry, I guarantee the work: we'll fix the bogie *before* we drink the beers!RollEyes
Cheers

Thanks Jacques.. Nev may need a beer before you start though - especially if you want him to hold something steady.. I am putting in my lotto this week as I would love to join you all in July. It would be a great opportunity to practice my French.. Last used in 1996 in Île des Pins in New Caledonia to buy a Coke for FD, and to find our way back to the boat after FD go us lost..

Adrian
UserPostedImage