Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Kevin Weis  
#1 Posted : 12 January 2011 01:56:10(UTC)
Kevin Weis

Views messages in topic : 128
Tender driven locomotives. Any advantages to these? To me it seems like it would be a recipe for derailmentConfused . Pros - cons? Maybe I just don't understand the concept well enough. It appears Marklin never adopted this concept. Maybe for good reason? Just curious.

Regards, Kevin
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 12 January 2011 02:29:56(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
I have a few Hornby two rail DC locos that are tender driven, and I find them very acceptable, smooth and powerful.

I believe Fleischmann also dabbled in the concept, and may still do so.

Marklin probably had the technoilogy and know-how to continue the tried and proven mechanism. I would imagine the tender-drive would be cheaper to design and build. IMO.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline TimR  
#3 Posted : 12 January 2011 03:05:16(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
I would imagine the tender-drive would be cheaper to design and build. IMO.

I think you got it spot on!

Logically, you will cut tooling development cost significantly; particularly for the Einheits steamers - which more or less shared similar tender designs.
It is also easier to engineer a tender-driven models (similar to compact Bo-Bo locos) rather than having to work out new gear arrangement with every new model to fit into the boiler (ala Marklin).

For example, a single T34 tender design can be used to push BR39, BR50, BR01, BR44 all the same. Variation of the tender like the T30 can be added to the lineup later.

Playwise, another advantage to tender driven steamer is that you can add another tender behind that steam locomotive for extra pulling power.

Creative owners might also switch the tender of their steamer as more new tenders are introduced to..

Disadvantages:
The obvious one, it doesn't feel particularly prototypical. Steamers should do the pulling, not the tender(!)

Tender driven loks generally suffer from lower pulling power. As pointed out sometime ago (by John(River) me thinks), it's hard to add extra ballast to a tender driven design for extra traction. Easier to add ballast into the boiler of a Marklin locomotive.

OTOH as I mentioned above, you can add an extra tender for more pulling power... and they're still prototypical apparently for long distance travel.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline DaleSchultz  
#4 Posted : 12 January 2011 03:14:22(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
it seems well, wrong... to have the tender push the loco...
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline river6109  
#5 Posted : 12 January 2011 04:10:07(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Roco, my main loco arsenal, has all motor driven tender locos, although I enjoy Roco steam locos, I'm staying away from them because of tender driven locos.

they have improved the whole idea of driven axles by incorporating a rod from the motor to the loco's main driving wheels.
I've written several emails to Roco , explaining to them, what use this rod has overall, other than keep the main driving wheels turning, according to its speed.

Would it not be a better idea, to add rubber tyres to one of the main axle to improve the pulling power.

Had several emails coming back, explaining the driving wheels have got rubber tyres. (written back: not the tender driving wheels)

My argument was, the powerful motor, the weight of the tender, is not a balanced torque distribution, having a rod already coming through, the only thing they had to do is to put some rubber tyres onto the loco driving axle.
I also explained, not having the capability to pull any reasonable weight behind it, they are loosing out on major sales.
an email came back, my idea, may interfere rubbertyres) with the brake pads .
I could see they have been looking for excuses all along and had no intention of changing a inferior design to a more plausible one.
I've even put the idea passed them, supplying the axle with rubber tyres as an option.

on the other end of the scale we have digital operated doors on passenger carriages.

I have 2 Roco Steam locos, 1 SBB C 5/6 2' 10' 0' and the DB 18201.

To get any descent load behind the SBB St Gotthard "Elephant" loco, you would need 2 of them.

The 18201, Pacific style loco, Roco bought out a second tender, which was used on long haul journeys.

Bought this tender(no motor or lights) and converted it with a motor, lights and a sound decoder and kept the ESU V3 decoder in the first loco tender.,

It may be alright on a flat straight surface but any incline or curves would put pressure onto the ability to pull many carriages, maybe empty freight carriages.

I don't have issues with the loco nor the tender of derailing

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline TrainIride  
#6 Posted : 12 January 2011 12:46:27(UTC)
TrainIride

France   
I own a piko 57355.
It's an Hobby lok with a 3 axles motorized tender.
I have never tried to use it as my marklin 3047,
but this steamer is running very well.
No troubles on my M-track/C-track tortured layout carrying a set of 6 two axles freight cars.
(I'm sure it's ok with 6 more ones)

The pickup shoe is under the lok;
inside the boiler, there is enough room for decoder, sound, smoke generator,
, and other stuff, despite the small size.

If Piko offers a new model -different steamer - with the almost same tender, I think I will be interested.

Again, we cannot compare with a full metal 1kg steamer with 5 motorized axles,
but this one is really ok.

regards
Joël

Offline jvuye  
#7 Posted : 12 January 2011 14:32:01(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Kevin Weis Go to Quoted Post
Tender driven locomotives. Any advantages to these? To me it seems like it would be a recipe for derailmentConfused . Pros - cons? Maybe I just don't understand the concept well enough. It appears Marklin never adopted this concept. Maybe for good reason? Just curious.

Regards, Kevin

Hi Kevin and all,
I agree with all the previous answers: the concept seems odd and often leads to uneven lok performance.

The main reason for tender driven loco, besides cost, is "looks"!Glare Glare

With this, it is possible to have a filigrane "see-through" chassis, very thin rims and spokes on the drivers, etc., just perfect 1/87 proportions!

I do have a few locos like this from Fleischmann, ROCO, Hornby and Liliput.

They have spent most of their careers as "shelf queens" in my display casesUnsure

It is a mixed bag...the best ones still coming from Fleischmann ThumpUp , where IMHO performance on the layout still remains predictable.

Cheers

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline hemau  
#8 Posted : 12 January 2011 20:53:05(UTC)
hemau

Originally Posted by: DaleSchultz Go to Quoted Post
it seems well, wrong... to have the tender push the loco...

Yes, and for those who don't have this feeling, I've got the solution: a waggon driven locomotiveWoot Woot
You design one or two waggons/coaches with a power unit inside and you offer powerless but very detailed locomotives of all sorts!
Only drawback is you won't be able to have a loco running separatly. Some people even might be tempted to run a train without a locomotiveThumbDown
Kind regards, Henk.
C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 12 January 2011 21:18:50(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
It is a mixed bag...the best ones still coming from Fleischmann ThumpUp , where IMHO performance on the layout still remains predictable.

I have a BR 03 from Fleischmann that cannot take C track turnouts at speed step 2: loco stops, big driving wheels stand still - and the chuff-chuff sound goes on.
It can haul trains - but I make sure it takes turnouts with enough speed.

The typical Roco design is a good design IMHO: the Decapods have seven power axles, the Pacifics have five powered axles.
And: motor in the tender, speakers in the boiler: the sound comes from the loco, not the tender.

Piko and Roco make some tenders from metal die cast to get more weight.

Some say that tender-driven locos are plastic tank cars pushed over the layout by the tender.
A good design that reduces production costs and allows free view through cab and under boiler (Fleischmann's BR 43 is an exception to this rule).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline steventrain  
#10 Posted : 12 January 2011 21:27:03(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kimballthurlow Go to Quoted Post
I have a few Hornby two rail DC locos that are tender driven, and I find them very acceptable, smooth and powerful.

regards
Kimball

Hornby latest models have no long motor in tender, Most are in loco drive today.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Brakepad  
#11 Posted : 12 January 2011 21:37:50(UTC)
Brakepad

France, Metropolitan   
I have to confess I don't like them at all.

I have two Fleischmann BR01 that run very poorly with their powered tender. And one Roco with a powered tender but with a transmission to the locomotive. This one runs quite well, and is very smooth. It's a BR18.1.

In any case, I prefer a powered loco.

check out http://maerklin-back-on-track.blogspot.com if you like to see how old Märklin locos are brought back into life! (in spanish by the moment)
Offline Webmaster  
#12 Posted : 12 January 2011 22:02:48(UTC)
Webmaster

An here comes the negative guy... Wink

Wake up, it's not even prototypical to have a loco pushed around by a tender...

Quite fun to think about that some "serious" modellers can get upset by a rivet in the wrong place or a hose missing, but do accept basic non-prototypical drive...

That is my highly personal view, and for me it's a no-brainer that a loco should drive with the real driving axles...Wink

I have a couple of Roco & Fleischmann too, and models look fine but...

My experience with the Roco drive shaft is not good, not when the gears shear where that axle goes into the boiler... ThumbDown
And of course the Preiserling loco drivers union protest heavily, having dangerous work conditions due to a spinning axle in the cab over the firebox.

A Fleischmann I have just wiggles along in front of the tender, loco itself much too light while the tender is like heavyweight M quality...

Since I only buy steam locos, only tank locos from Roco & Flm are considered nowadays... Decapods and such - forget it...

So, how many members have I upset now? BigGrin
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Fredrik  
#13 Posted : 12 January 2011 22:14:06(UTC)
Fredrik

Sweden   
I must say - you upset a few, I have to consider what to do with your post... LOL

No - actually I totally agree with you Juhan! Off-course a steamer shall be driven by the actual driving axles.
Fredrik.
*ECoS 2 + ECoSDetector + SwitchPilot + ECoSTerminal; *Z21 + Loconet + Digikeijs + MGP; **CS3+ + CdB (** coming soon...)
WWW: MJ-fjärren
Offline kariosls37  
#14 Posted : 12 January 2011 22:34:48(UTC)
kariosls37

New Zealand   
I agree with Juhan and the others as well. I have a FL* BR 55 that is tender driven. It's the most detailed model I have, but it just looks wrong. Because of slack in the cupling, when starting the loco starts running a ssplit second later than the tender. Not good.
I have seen a neat trick though with tender drives: someone built a NS class 3700 with it's normal motor in the loco, and added a tender drive as well. You see, 4-6-0 locos are baad pullers because a lot of weight is on the bogie.
What this person has done is: He's wired up both motors seperately, so a nice wheelslip can be simulated when startingThumpUp ThumpUp

The motor in tender, drivetrain in loco concept I think is really good, as long as the driveshaft is concealed. This way you can put the bulky motor and geartrain in the tender where there is plenty of space, while keeping the loco wheels driven.
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 12 January 2011 22:46:44(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
An here comes the negative guy... Wink

Wake up, it's not even prototypical to have a loco pushed around by a tender...

Quite fun to think about that some "serious" modellers can get upset by a rivet in the wrong place or a hose missing, but do accept basic non-prototypical drive...

I accept that my steamers are powered by oversized electric motors. I don't care too much which axles are powered as long as the loco is a good puller.

A driving rod in the cab is better than a DCM in the cab.

Does Märklin make steamers that are pushed around by their tenders?
Sure they do ...
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline TimR  
#16 Posted : 12 January 2011 23:04:01(UTC)
TimR

Indonesia   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post

Apparently, that is the consensus in the DC world, as far as I can tell... and probably for a good percentage in the AC market.

The main issue, particularly with the German steamer market in terms of Tender-driven vs steamer-driven models lay in the battle between the old school (Marklin) vs the rest.

Roco is widely considered to be the makers of the most detailed and smoothest running steamer models.

Trix models (DC versions of Marklin) doesn't do well in the 2-rail market. For years, they've been forced to slug it off with old tooling models, you know, the ones that got the large motor intruding into the driver's cab (DCM) - particularly in the main German steamer market (Einheits).
I think this was the main issue originally...

Add noise and maintenance to that, whereas the other brands offer quiet, no maintenance, and detail.
So those who don't like Marklin/Trix features defect...

Trix steamers are considered to be "piece of crap". What's that? MaTrix decapods are strong enough to pull 50 wagons? Who cares when you will only put 12 behind it? Even a Liliput model has enough traction to do that, says the tender driven adopters.

The Marklin newer tooling models are designed to fix the problems, now offering breathtaking details and quiet motor..
But the pace at which they were introduced was way too slow.
The original 2002 BR45 was Marklin insider/Trix-profi club only.... the first new einheits for the mass market with all the bells and whistles was BR01 in 2006... then they had the compact Sinus problem..

Even now, I think, Marklin/Trix are still playing catch up. Not quite there yet. MaTrix got a lot of new pacifics now, but still have no new tooling decapods to compete with Roco...
There is a new BR50.40, but that won't count yet until a mass market version arrived.
Now collecting C-Sine models.
Offline David Dewar  
#17 Posted : 12 January 2011 23:27:00(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Roco steamers run well and it would be difficult to tell that they are being tender driven. However when various bits start to fall off as they go round the layout then that is the Roco trademark.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline Kevin Weis  
#18 Posted : 13 January 2011 01:00:29(UTC)
Kevin Weis

Views messages in topic : 128
WOW! I didn't realize the opinions would be so strong. The reason I started this thread is a few months ago I aquired an older (60's) Liliput steamer that was tender driven and found it had major issues such as a spun clutch on the drive shaft (fixed that)and spun wheels on the drive axels on the tender. The wheels appear to be aluminium or a composite of same and distorted terribly when I tied to press them back on the drive shaft in the tender in an attempt to fix the loseness. When the wheels broke I shelfed it until spare parts (wheels) could be obtained (if ever). Just seemed that the force of the tender pushing the weight of the locomotive would push it right of the track at least on the sharper curves. I have some 5120 M track on my layout. Anyways thanks for all the opinions.

Regards, Kevin
Offline FMS  
#19 Posted : 13 January 2011 01:06:29(UTC)
FMS

Yep!The power should be inside the loco going trough the axles, meaning that for Me doesn't make any sense the "backstage" solution!
Steam rules...at the front!Smile
Regards
FMS
Offline river6109  
#20 Posted : 13 January 2011 01:18:10(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post
Roco steamers run well and it would be difficult to tell that they are being tender driven. However when various bits start to fall off as they go round the layout then that is the Roco trademark.

dave

Dave,

Come on, I have had Roco locos now for over 10 years and had no bits falling off as my Roco trains go around my layout and I handle them a lot., they'll go in and out of the box as I use different locos day by day.

I had the odd occasion but this happened with Märklin as well.

My solution for bits falling off, is to secure them a bit tighter or with the tiniest drop of glue.

I think it is a bit harsh to call it a trademark.

I had more bits breaking off a Glaskasten (plastic railing), 2x2 E 70 (plastic railing), E 163 (plastic railing) and showed photos of revised metal railing.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline john black  
#21 Posted : 13 January 2011 01:32:51(UTC)
john black

United States   
Originally Posted by: David Dewar Go to Quoted Post

Roco steamers run well and it would be difficult to tell that they are being tender driven.

Yeah. One can hear the rattle hours before they get round da corner TongueTongueTongue
And I also do remember the puzzle of plastic pieces you reported many years back ... RollEyes

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline David Dewar  
#22 Posted : 13 January 2011 17:03:17(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Dave,

Come on, I have had Roco locos now for over 10 years and had no bits falling off as my Roco trains go around my layout and I handle them a lot., they'll go in and out of the box as I use different locos day by day.

I had the odd occasion but this happened with Märklin as well.

My solution for bits falling off, is to secure them a bit tighter or with the tiniest drop of glue.

I think it is a bit harsh to call it a trademark.

I had more bits breaking off a Glaskasten (plastic railing), 2x2 E 70 (plastic railing), E 163 (plastic railing) and showed photos of revised metal railing.

John

Hi John. Comments not really to be taken too seriously. However you do need to keep parts on with a drop of glue as you say and as John reminds me the drive system is not good and liable to fall apart.
On the plus side Roco do make well detailed models and they do run quieter than most Marklin but plastic will never beat good old metal.
Roco coaches are worth buying though and are just as good and in some cases better than Marklin.

dave
Take care I like Marklin and will defend the worlds greatest model rail manufacturer.
Offline john black  
#23 Posted : 13 January 2011 19:40:30(UTC)
john black

United States   
Hi David, sorry my fault for not putting my impressions in a clear way Blushing - so here we go ...

Heavy Metal & Tinplate Classic Marklin vs. (any) maker of plastic toys: No match ThumpUp

Most of New Marklin vs. all others: Really don't see much of a difference, anymore TongueTongueTongue

I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline David Dewar  
#24 Posted : 13 January 2011 20:16:39(UTC)
David Dewar

Scotland   
Hi John. Very true that the old Marklin is the best. Some of the new models are quite good though and my 39977 is well detailed and runs perfectly. It is also pretty solid despite being small and the paintwork is excellent.
It is however the only loco I have bought for a while as most of the new issues from Marklin are not of any great interest. I dont like any of these new plastic type efforts of the modern locos which to me look cheap and some have those ridiculous coach connectors but we are still expected to pay a lot for them.
I would like to see more era 1 and 2 tank locos but M does not appear to want to make them and Brawa has I expect most of the market.

dave
Offline railandsail  
#25 Posted : 04 December 2021 16:42:29(UTC)
railandsail

United States   
Views messages in topic : 1
Is there an updated discussion(s) on this 'tender drive' subject?? I would be very interested
Brian from USA
Offline hxmiesa  
#26 Posted : 04 December 2021 17:53:31(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Originally Posted by: railandsail Go to Quoted Post
Is there an updated discussion(s) on this 'tender drive' subject?? I would be very interested
Brian from USA

Yeah. Me too! ThumpUp

I have recently acquired 2 steam-locos with drive-by-tender.
Both are Fleschmann. Ancient (analog) BR50 wannentender and a BR58.
They perform very well, with silent and steady running.
A nice plus is the 0mm distance between tender and loco. Makes the Märklin loocos look like death-traps for the driver and and stoker. RollEyes
Main drawback for me -being an analog runner- is the practically 0 momentum when arriving at a powerless (stop-signal) track. (Even with my decreasing voltage-feed up to the signal, I cannot "hide" the abrupt stop...) The small BR58 is worse than the BR50 which has more swungmasse.

Regarding prototypical... I think the arguments presented here are a joke; We talk about model railroad, not about imitating real life functions in every aspect. In the latter case we would also need to power the electrics from the catenary. Most older Märklin Bo´Bo´ and Co´Co´ are only driven by one of the bogies. Then there´s the discussion about R1 curves. Hell, even R9/R10 curves are waaay too tight... Need I go on? LOL

Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline kimballthurlow  
#27 Posted : 05 December 2021 02:10:23(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
I have a tender-driven 3 rail digital Fleischmann 1113, a 1906 loco in DRG colours (as BR 13 4-4-0). They were not used after 1932 but this one still runs on my layout. It has very large driving wheels and is high geared. So it drives in a way that appears ungainly and of course is not meant for shunting in a goods yard. It did not cost much and I am happy with it.

Kimball

Edited by user 05 December 2021 06:03:31(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.