Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline plavnostruev  
#1 Posted : 15 December 2010 05:12:04(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
Today I stopped by the famous Sotheby's Auctions on 72nd street and York Ave in NYC
at friend's suggestion, that "there were a bunch of old trains there, check it out".
So check out I did. It turned out to be a very BIG Marklin day for yours truly!

On the second floor I run into fantastic Malcolm Forbes collection of vintage Marklin
ships:
http://www.sothebys.com/app/eca...vent.jsp?event_id=30325/

Each ship was estimated to be worth between $100,00 - $300,000 , gorgeous models!

And next floor was stack full of (very) vintage Marklin tin trains and toys from 1860 - 1940.
This is a private sale from "Jerni Collection", what ever it/he/she might be. I have never, ever saw
such staggering number of beautifully preserved Marklin items dating back pretty much to the
beginning of the firm. It was wall to wall, must have been several thousands locomotives, cars,
buildings and toys. It was simply stunning. When I finally came to my senses, pulled my phone
and started taking pictures, two large men in black approached and politely requested to
stop taking pictures, so below two are the only ones I managed to snap:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I inquired about the auction, it turned out to be a private sale. And then I heard something
that again knocked the wind out of me. That huge display covering entire floor was...
only 15% of the entire collection!!! Total collection value was in 8 figures, so over $10 million.

If you are in New York, or will be there next several weeks, do stop by, it beats any train
museum hands downThumpUp

Michael

Offline Ranjit  
#2 Posted : 15 December 2010 05:54:43(UTC)
Ranjit

Thank you for sharing, Michael! I suppose you freaked out!

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline GG1 Fan  
#3 Posted : 15 December 2010 06:02:35(UTC)
GG1 Fan

Wow!
Thanks for the tip. I will try my best to stop in and see it.

Looks like some rich person bought the items, took one look at them, put the items back in the box and left them there in prestine condition.

I'm also impressed that the 'owners' think that this is now 'the time to sell' in this soft market.

My Dad always told me Marklin items were a tangible 'investment' and/or family heirlooms. Looks like he was right.

Salute Marklin

Paul
Offline mascagni  
#4 Posted : 15 December 2010 17:36:59(UTC)
mascagni

Recall that Malcolm Forbes ran Forbes magazine until he passes a while back. He was a famous collector of many things, perhaps most famously of Fabergé eggs. So, it is not surprising that he had some toys!--MM
Michael Mascagni, Tallahassee
If I weren't a Mathematician, I'd be a Violinist.--Albert Einstein
Offline stenscience  
#5 Posted : 15 December 2010 17:51:18(UTC)
stenscience

ThumpUp Thanks very much....I work only about 2 km from there (but Harlem is a different world than Upper East Side). I will try to stop by later this week.
Offline Ranjit  
#6 Posted : 15 December 2010 18:53:47(UTC)
Ranjit

Lucky you, George!

Cheers,
Ranjit
Modelling in HO Scale - Era III & IV. K+M Track, Analogue + Digital

#Get Vaccinated
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need" - Marcus Tullius Cicero
"Nothing is as powerful as an idea whose time has come" - Victor Marie Hugo
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#7 Posted : 15 December 2010 20:41:49(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
Mike,
how long will they be on display for? I may be headed to NY in mid-to-late January..
SBB Era 2-5
Offline plavnostruev  
#8 Posted : 15 December 2010 21:22:05(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
5HorizonsRR wrote:
Mike,
how long will they be on display for? I may be headed to NY in mid-to-late January..

You will notice that there is no mention of Marklin train collection on Sotheby's website; that's
because this is a private sale. I was told it will be there through mid-February, but who knows?
Best to check with Sotheby's. I venture a guess that should the sale happen, realized proceeds
could have gone a long way to plug Marklin's debt...

Michael
Offline steventrain  
#9 Posted : 15 December 2010 23:37:13(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
It is a huge old marklin.Razz

Is it Sotheby's in New York or London? But I don't think Europe bidding the items in New York because too expensive.

It was very large bidding from Europe with telephone, Fax, Internet etc on Sotheby's Marklin collection in London some time ago.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline EuroKev  
#10 Posted : 16 December 2010 06:36:09(UTC)
EuroKev

United States   
I was just in NYC ten days ago and wish I knew then what I know now LOL. I would very much like to see at least a glimpse of this very fine collection before It's too late. I guess I should get another train ticket soon(best way to get to NYC). Thanks for the info.
Kev
Offline MechMan1985  
#11 Posted : 23 December 2010 05:21:27(UTC)
MechMan1985

Thank you for the recommendation. I made it to the Forbe's auction, but was really more impressed by what was happening up on the 4th floor. I have NEVER seen anything like it. Words can't describe the experience. It was like being in the Marklin Showroom in 1900. There were so many things I had never seen, let alone heard about! I was able to get a few pictures before being asked to put my phone away. NOW I WANT TO TAKE A WEEK OFF OF WORK AND SPEND EVERY SECOND THERE!!!! I'm telling you... you won't believe it unless you see it. I was also told that this was just a small portion of the collection. I can't imagine!!!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 23 December 2010 19:11:12(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline DaleSchultz  
#12 Posted : 23 December 2010 05:45:13(UTC)
DaleSchultz

United States   
I was hoping they would keep my sale under wraps... I'll have to call my agent, thanks for the alert.
Dale
Intellibox + own software, K-Track
My current layout: https://cabin-layout.mixmox.com
Arrival and Departure signs: https://remotesign.mixmox.com
Offline MechMan1985  
#13 Posted : 23 December 2010 19:12:49(UTC)
MechMan1985

DaleSchultz wrote:
I hear ya! I wish it were my collection also

Offline MechMan1985  
#14 Posted : 23 December 2010 19:14:25(UTC)
MechMan1985

DaleSchultz wrote:
I was hoping they would keep my sale under wraps... I'll have to call my agent, thanks for the alert.

DaleSchultz wrote:
I hear ya! I wish it were my collection also
Drool
Offline salmarklin  
#15 Posted : 24 December 2010 19:18:42(UTC)
salmarklin

United States   
Absolutely amazing collection!
Offline salmarklin  
#16 Posted : 24 December 2010 19:22:03(UTC)
salmarklin

United States   
This should be in a museum!
MechMan1985 wrote:
Thank you for the recommendation. I made it to the Forbe's auction, but was really more impressed by what was happening up on the 4th floor. I have NEVER seen anything like it. Words can't describe the experience. It was like being in the Marklin Showroom in 1900. There were so many things I had never seen, let alone heard about! I was able to get a few pictures before being asked to put my phone away. NOW I WANT TO TAKE A WEEK OFF OF WORK AND SPEND EVERY SECOND THERE!!!! I'm telling you... you won't believe it unless you see it. I was also told that this was just a small portion of the collection. I can't imagine!!!

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Offline Webmaster  
#17 Posted : 24 December 2010 22:17:09(UTC)
Webmaster

It should be in a museum indeed!!!
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Oscar  
#18 Posted : 26 December 2010 09:51:40(UTC)
Oscar

It does belong in a museum, indeed. On the one hand it is treat that such a collection is still around in pristine condition. On the other hand it is a shame that nobody ever got to see it.
Offline FMS  
#19 Posted : 26 December 2010 11:35:39(UTC)
FMS

It's just something....
This might sound weird, but if this is an auction, I guess that Marklin could make a move in order to enlarge and add value to their current museum collection...that would depend if they want to invest and if they the money for this type of purpose.

Arround here if there's an auction, depending on the type of auction, usually there's somebody that represents museums, and if they want some piece and by any chance there's an higher bidder the museum representative has the priority to buy that piece.
Regards
FMS
Offline nevw  
#20 Posted : 26 December 2010 12:36:15(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
FMS wrote:
It's just something....
This might sound weird, but if this is an auction, I guess that Marklin could make a move in order to enlarge and add value to their current museum collection...that would depend if they want to invest and if they the money for this type of purpose.

Arround here if there's an auction, depending on the type of auction, usually there's somebody that represents museums, and if they want some piece and by any chance there's an higher bidder the museum representative has the priority to buy that piece.

I believe that it is not an Auction but a private sale. if M have about 10M USd or a bit more to spare it would be a wonderful addition to teh Museum

NNThumpUp ThumpUp ThumpUp
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#21 Posted : 29 December 2010 03:49:32(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
This is by far the greatest collection of pre-1935 Marklin I have ever seen. It beats anything in the Marklin museum and other museums in Europe. The Ward Kimball collection sold by Noel Barret is the only collection to come close to this!!!

Best regards,

Paul
Offline kimballthurlow  
#22 Posted : 29 December 2010 11:38:35(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
CCS800KrokHunter3 wrote:
This is by far the greatest collection of pre-1935 Marklin I have ever seen. It beats anything in the Marklin museum and other museums in Europe. The Ward Kimball collection sold by Noel Barret is the only collection to come close to this!!!

Best regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,
Thankyou for pointing me in the direction of Noel Barret's description of the Kimball collection. I had literally no idea of the attention and deliberation that had been given these collections over the years. Quite a joy.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline MechMan1985  
#23 Posted : 29 December 2010 18:30:58(UTC)
MechMan1985

CCS800KrokHunter3 wrote:

Best regards,

Paul

Ward Kimball's collection was spectacular. Noel Barrett, who has seen the entire collection, described it as being 10 to 15 times the size. Now that's what is so amazing. It's that big and it's one private collection.
Offline plavnostruev  
#24 Posted : 01 January 2011 22:19:17(UTC)
plavnostruev

United States   
Happy New Year!

Found a mention of this in the New York Times:

“Jerry Greene, a vintage-recordings dealer in suburban Philadelphia,
has spent 45 years filling his basement with 27,000 toy trains,
railroad stations, post offices, carousels, Ferris wheels and bridges.
This winter he has crammed 3,500 representative pieces into a fourth-
floor gallery at Sotheby’s in New York.

“Two trucks, each 24-ft long brought the little known Jerni Collection
(Mr. Greene named it after himself and his wife, Nina) to Sotheby’s.
..."

Rest of the article is only accessible to registered NY Times online readers.

Michael
Offline Johnvr  
#25 Posted : 02 January 2011 09:53:04(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
This is truly amazing ! The mind boggles at how this collection would have accumulated.
Definitely belongs in the Museum !

Regards,Mellow
John
Offline kimballthurlow  
#26 Posted : 02 January 2011 11:26:36(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
plavnostruev wrote:
Happy New Year!

Found a mention of this in the New York Times:

“Jerry Greene, a vintage-recordings dealer in suburban Philadelphia,
has spent 45 years filling his basement with 27,000 toy trains,
railroad stations, post offices, carousels, Ferris wheels and bridges.......

Michael

Hey, that's only since 1965.
Just shows you what can happen from small beginnings.
What if he had started earlier?

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline MechMan1985  
#27 Posted : 03 January 2011 17:41:49(UTC)
MechMan1985

Offline MechMan1985  
#28 Posted : 03 January 2011 17:43:12(UTC)
MechMan1985

Offline Bluegrass51  
#29 Posted : 22 January 2011 21:32:16(UTC)
Bluegrass51

Watch "Sunday Morning" CBS 9:00AM on January 23. The collection is going to be a featured segment.
Offline GSRR  
#30 Posted : 22 January 2011 22:16:37(UTC)
GSRR

United States   

Full article in Bloomberg news

http://www.bloomberg.com...27-000-antique-toys.html

NYT

https://www.nytimes.com/...tiques.html?pagewanted=1

TRUCKLOADS OF TRAINS

Jerry Greene, a vintage-recordings dealer in suburban Philadelphia, has spent 45 years filling his basement with 27,000 toy trains, railroad stations, post offices, carousels, Ferris wheels and bridges. This winter he has crammed 3,500 representative pieces into a fourth-floor gallery at Sotheby’s in New York.

Two trucks, each 24 feet long, brought the little-known Jerni Collection (Mr. Greene named it after himself and his wife, Nina) to Sotheby’s. Display cases and pedestals are piled with simulated rock tunnels, spindly pedestrian walkways, glass train sheds and vintage billboards for Vitalis, Sunkist oranges and deodorant soap. Freight cars carry labels for German seafood, Jamaican bananas and French furniture. Trackside signs read “Halt!” and “All tickets to be shown.”

Mr. Greene, during a recent tour of the gallery, rattled off the names of the objects’ mainly European manufacturers and listed how many examples of the rarer models exist elsewhere and what they cost. He paid a few hundred dollars each for most of the toys at antiques fairs, stores and auctions, but occasionally spent five-figure amounts for something that “completed the collection,” he said. He is selling now because there is little left to pursue, he said, adding, “Once it goes on a shelf, it’s just history to me.”

Although toy-train enthusiasts are a tight-knit clan, Mr. Greene rarely socialized with them. He did not identify himself on buying sprees and let only a few visitors into his basement. “I would be considered a closet collector, because nobody knew,” he said.

His daughter, Melissa Greene-Anderson, who helped set up the Sotheby’s show, said, “He was called ‘the man in black who never smiles.’ ” As a child, she did not play with the trains, she said, but her father did ask her and her two siblings to wiggle into basement crevices and retrieve and arrange the toys. “I would wear a conductor’s cap” while clambering through cobwebs, Ms. Greene-Anderson said.

The collection, on view through February, is for sale as one lot for an undisclosed eight-figure price. “I can’t break it up,” Mr. Greene said. “I worked so hard.”

Collectors have kept asking if individual pieces were for sale. When the requests were rebuffed, Ms. Greene-Anderson said, “people could be volatile.”

ETE UserPostedImage ECoS iTrain TouchCab C-Gleis German Era Id & IIIb USA Era IIIb SBB Era III SJ Era IV GC Era V
Offline dntower85  
#31 Posted : 23 January 2011 16:36:20(UTC)
dntower85

United States   
CBS Sunday morning news just did about a 10 minute segment on the Marklin Auction
DT
Now powered by ECoS II unit#2, RocRail
era - some time in the future when the space time continuum is disrupted and ICE 3 Trains run on the same rails as the Adler and BR18's.
Offline DV  
#32 Posted : 23 January 2011 21:34:57(UTC)
DV

Australia   
For those that can't CBS, here's the link

CBS Morning Show Märklin

Enjoy
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
Offline rugauger  
#33 Posted : 23 January 2011 23:29:01(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Hmm, I dunno... Postage is going to be quite high I think.
Richard
Offline 5HorizonsRR  
#34 Posted : 24 January 2011 07:49:04(UTC)
5HorizonsRR

United States   
All, I wrapped up my work trip in NY early so I could spend this morning at Sothebys. The collection is UNBELIEVEABLE. Absolutely incredible in every way. The morning news piece was a huge PR boost, as by the time I left around 1pm Sothebys was packed with people who saw it on tv and wanted to visit.

The scary thing is that 15% of the collection takes up a whole floor of sotheby's gallery! Between the price tag and sheer volume of the collection, I think it might be a really tough sell. I just can't picture it going to a train collector, maybe a dealer with deep pockets who could break it up for sale. Or a wealthy antique baron of some sort who likes it and has no trains.

If you can get to NY make a point to go see it- worth going out of the way for!!
SBB Era 2-5
Offline steventrain  
#35 Posted : 24 January 2011 14:30:25(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: rugauger Go to Quoted Post
Hmm, I dunno... Postage is going to be quite high I think.

Yes and Possoble Custom duty came to UK.Unsure
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline steventrain  
#36 Posted : 11 February 2011 21:33:33(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Thursday Daily Mirror newspaper said the value worth £30 Million for the lot.Scared
Offline john black  
#37 Posted : 12 February 2011 00:46:09(UTC)
john black

United States   
NYTIMES wrote:

Jerry Greene is selling now because "There is little left to pursue"
he said, adding "Once it goes on a shelf, it’s just history to me."

Thank God my mickey mouse collection of marklins never will be that big ... Laugh
I hope no one visits a poor Southener's layout in Brooklyn. Intruders beware of Gators.
AT&SF, D&RGW, T&P, SP, WP, UP, BN, NYC, ARR, epI-III - analog & digital Marklin Classics only.
CU#6021 FX-MOTOROLA DIGITAL SYSTEM. Fast as lightning and no trouble. What else ...
Outlaw Member of BIG JUHAN's OUTSIDER CLUB. With the most members, worldwide

Offline mj  
#38 Posted : 12 February 2011 14:33:42(UTC)
mj

Sweden   
This is truly a magnificent collection!
Magnus
Offline cookee_nz  
#39 Posted : 17 February 2011 10:53:52(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Finally, several days after being reported on this forum our local news buffs have finally caught up with this.....

http://www.stuff.co.nz/o...y-collection-up-for-sale

:-)

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline steventrain  
#40 Posted : 17 February 2011 10:59:13(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Offline old toot  
#41 Posted : 17 February 2011 20:14:44(UTC)
old toot

New Zealand   
now the brothers at minature wonderland are thinking of expanding
across to the next building, now to have a collection like this
on show next to their running live show would be a absolute winner
by the sound of it contents in belongs back in europe

from our local paper
Known as the Jerni Collection, it is considered the largest and most comprehensive toy collection in the world, valued in the tens of millions of dollars, said Sotheby's, which is brokering the sale for Greene. It will not be auctioned.

The toys date from 1850 to 1940 and include rare, handmade and historically significant European pieces. There are replicas of actual train stations, bridges and buildings destroyed during both world wars. There are also villages, carousels and Ferris wheels.

"I put it together piece by piece, and my quest for the highest-quality trains and toys took me to thousands of toy fairs and shows" in the United States, Greene said in a statement.

They represent some of the best known European and American makers of the golden age of toy manufacturing, including Marklin, Bing, Ernst Plant Carette, and Rock & Graner.

He wants to sell the whole thing as a total collection
so if marklin gets their old owners to return the 38 million it would not be a problem BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
well you guys in New York enjoy as you probally never see the likes of it again
old toot
were we pickit, packit and postit
Offline Sander van Wijk  
#42 Posted : 20 February 2011 23:05:36(UTC)
Sander van Wijk

Netherlands   
Hi all,

Thanks for sharing all these links, I can only say I am completely flabbergasted seeing so much exclusive material in one collection. It makes me wonder; why would one buy all this at once, if the joy of collecting is mainly in finding that one missing piece? Anyway, if I would have the chance to visit it, I would go! But I won't, so I'll just enjoy the pictures. :wink:

Cheers,
Sander
---
Era I(b): K.Bay.Sts.B. and K.W.St.E.